1/72 Tamiya Messerschmitt BF 109E-3

Seamus

Whilst making the finishing touches to my Hellcat, I couldn't resist making a start on the next of my Battle of Britain builds, selecting the Tamiya E-3 boxing as the first of two 109s I have planned for my project. The build has progressed quickly as you'd expect of a Tamiya kit, with the interior complete. I've added some pre-painted belts from Eduard as finishing touch, but otherwise it's OOB.

_MG_8897_zpsbe5f4qys.jpg

_MG_8898_zps9mswhttc.jpg

Expect progress to be pretty swift! B)

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 3

Hello Shaun,,,

its really great to see German aircrafts being built on BM...makes a change for ME to see this.. :thumbsup:

Good work..looks neat too.. :yikes:

How is the kit ...

Happy modelling....will be back for more as I am following this one..

I was looking at one of these in my LHS yesterday. Might get one as a counterpoint to the Airfix E-4's in the stash, another candidate for the BOB group build.

Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Thanks both B)

A day off today after the Superbowl meant I could crack on nicely with this one, finishing off the construction, sorting the seams, rescribing the panel lines missing from the upper and lower rear fuselage and priming.

_MG_8906_zpsltfxmts5.jpg

Pleasingly, there's virtually nothing to sort, so it's out with the polishing cloths before I make a start on the paint. Tempted to start laying down some white but it's pretty cold tonight....

More soon,

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks both B)

Progress has been a little slower than I'd have hoped, with the cold weather keeping me from voluntarily opening any windows for spraying, but she's now got her base colours on. I've left the white nose masked as she's ready for the mottling, which will be going on shortly. Colours as usual are Xtracolor throughout, with each colour- RLM 02/71 over 65- lightened and post shaded. One day I'll work out how to photograph a model so that the true effect is visible...

_MG_8907_zpsfvdiuyqb.jpg

_MG_8909_zpsjbjgrt57.jpg

Time to break out the airbrush once more :)

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 2

Thanks very much :)

And then there was mottling...

_MG_8910_zps4yqfhhu1.jpg

_MG_8911_zpswbnudens.jpg

The tail surfaces are just dryfitted for show, hence the wonky fit. Just a few touch ups to sort and she's ready for Klear and decals

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 4

Over the last few days, the decals have gone on; Xtradecals for the markings and insignia, while the stencils came from the kit. I've also got a panel wash on using oils, so here's how she stands. Again, the tail surfaces and also the prop, which has been painted up, are just dry fitted for show at this point.

_MG_8912_zpsq9v0ajad.jpg

_MG_8914_zpskx0rhgh4.jpg

_MG_8915_zpsvya2ztby.jpg

Need to pick out some details before progressing with the rest of the weathering, but definitely on the home straight with this one now

Thanks for looking,

Shaun

• Like 5

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

What do you mean learn to photograph? The pics are great.

I struggle to fully show the subtlety of the post shading, reckon I could do with an extra light source pointing down into the light tent.

No pics, but progress to report. It seems no matter how well one of my models is going, I always seem to almost self destruct towards the end and do something stupid. I applied the exhaust staining last night and, like my Hellcat, made a bit of a hash of things, struggling to get a nice clean line without spattering paint. Ended up removing and respraying twice until I could tolerate it, though I'm still far from happy. Having put myself in a bit of a mood, I left things at that before spraying the matt varnish this evening, so the next pics will be of the finished model in the RFI section in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Shaun :)