Varnish Problems

Stuck

I have been using some supermarket lacquer based aerosol decanted clear coat over Tamiya and other lacquer based paints and it gives a superb high gloss finish. However after masking some areas i found on removal of the tape it is leaving marks which can only be rectified with a lot of cutting back. I left the clear coat 4 days to cure before masking, I am left wondering if this is long enough, or is there some chemical reaction going on ?. The masking tape I am using is Tamiya.

i have been looking into using Zero 2 pack, but having experienced spraying stuff like that on furniture many years ago I am a bit reluctant.

Have any of you any thoughts on this, or recommend an alternative product ?.

Cheers Mike

It's tamiya tape they have changed something in the adhesive a while ago and for some reason it attacks paint no matter how fresh it is. I had a similar problem on a build early last year and it left it looking very dimpled and left lines where the tapes edge was i found that polishing it back was the only way to fix it.

I now use fastrax tape it works so much better than tamiya ever did

Shaun

• Like 1

Well that has surprised me Shaun because the last thing I would have suspected causing the problem was the Tamiya tape which I always swore by. I am just about to start some more masking so I will try with an old role I have of another brand, and see what happens. Can you tell me where you get the fastrax from please.

Mike

Thankyou Shaun, how right you are !