Airfix 1/72 Vulcan

gazza l

Great work so far :) I'd love to do a 1/72 Vulcan, but I'm scared of the Airfix beast!

Thanks Val, nothing to be scared of it's just a big triangle of plastic that needs a lot of laborious work to get it looking half decent!!!

I have been looking at your Cyberhobbies Vulcan (which is looking good by the way), and I think you took the more sensible option.

gazza l

• Like 2

Thanks Val, nothing to be scared of it's just a big triangle of plastic that needs a lot of laborious work to get it looking half decent!!!

I have been looking at your Cyberhobbies Vulcan (which is looking good by the way), and I think you took the more sensible option.

gazza l

Thanks :) I've spent two days trying to mask the tiny windows; not sure it's that sensible after all :D looking great so far mate.

Good evening,

Slowly making progress on the bomb bay, using a bit of artistic licence it's starting to look a bit busy

in there.

Decals have arrived and very nice they look to. I think I have finally decided on XJ824 which is the

Vulcan on display at Duxford, just up the road from me, so this could be a good opportunity for a visit.

008_zps9cfa8366.jpg

Bomb bay from below.

010_zpsdbe7ab82.jpg

Bomb bay from above.

011_zps25ebaa37.jpg

Top of bomb bay ready to be fitted once the inside detail is complete and painted.

012_zps6a896068.jpg

Some oxygen bottles and other gubbins turned from brass.

009_zps9cf1ba79.jpg

Thanks for looking, gazza l

• Like 9

I'm liking this build a lot! it seems to be very well thought out and it is really showing in the work you have done so far.

Martin

Thank you Martin, I've been planning this Vulcan for some time now, each time putting it off and doing something a little easier.

It certainly makes you appreciate the newer high tech kits on the market when you do a clunky old kit like this.

gazza l

This is a fantastic account of a great build. You make it look very manageable. It would be a great help if you could share your templates of the bomb bay build..... I would like to attempt a similar build on my Vulcan. I am certainly looking forward to more of your fantastic build.

Randy

Evening people.

Slow progress this week, continuing on with the bomb bay. What started as a "near enough is good enough" approach has turn into

a highly detailed affair... sometimes I really annoy myself!!!

Managed to get to Duxford on Friday afternoon and take a load of reference photos of XJ824's bomb bay, undercarridge etc.

Hope to get some photos in the next few days.

Cheers, gazza l

This is a fantastic account of a great build. You make it look very manageable. It would be a great help if you could share your templates of the bomb bay build..... I would like to attempt a similar build on my Vulcan. I am certainly looking forward to more of your fantastic build.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I haven't made any templates as such I just looked at reference photos and estimated the positions of the crossmembers. If you like I can draw them up to give you the dimensions I used.

That looks amazing,can I ask you,is the bomb bay deeper at the front than at the back?

Thanks fatalbert,

Yes the bomb bay is deeper at the front, this also appears to be the case on the real Vulcan as the fuselage tapers down at the rear.

Thanks for the reply,I was wondering if the roof of the bomb bay was the the top of the fuselage or weather it has a separate roof.also how did you get the dimensions of the bomb bay,are you working from a set of plans?

Thanks for the reply,I was wondering if the roof of the bomb bay was the the top of the fuselage or weather it has a separate roof.also how did you get the dimensions of the bomb bay,are you working from a set of plans?

Hi fatalbert,

No I'm not working to any plans only reference photos. Looking at XJ824 on Friday it looks like the bomb bay goes up to the top fuselage skin... here's a few I took.

005_zpsafd5ef89.jpg

008_zps2c12803b.jpg

009_zps1610063d.jpg

Regards, gazza l

• Like 4

Evening people.

Slow progress this week, continuing on with the bomb bay. What started as a "near enough is good enough" approach has turn into

a highly detailed affair... sometimes I really annoy myself!!!

Managed to get to Duxford on Friday afternoon and take a load of reference photos of XJ824's bomb bay, undercarridge etc.

Hope to get some photos in the next few days.

Cheers, gazza l

Thanks Randy,

I haven't made any templates as such I just looked at reference photos and estimated the positions of the crossmembers. If you like I can draw them up to give you the dimensions I used.

Thanks fatalbert,

Yes the bomb bay is deeper at the front, this also appears to be the case on the real Vulcan as the fuselage tapers down at the rear.

Yes, I would really appreciate the dimensions you used. Thanks, draw them up when you get the chance. . Your Vulcan is beautiful.

Randy

• Like 1

Good evening.

Thanks Gazza that's brilliant.It would be great if you could share those measurements please as this is on a long term to do list in my head :-).

I will draw some dimensions up before I close the fuselage halfs.

Here are a few photos of this last weeks work.

This is what I have acheived so far, all assembled apart from a few components, painted Tamiya

gloss white, then a light grey wash to pick out the shadows and give it a slightly grubby look.

017_zps60c9be83.jpg

On the left a gas cylinder, turned from brass and the on the right the frame work for the auxiliary fuel tank.

027_zps060c1706.jpg

I used a Dremmel to to file a radius on the brass gas cylinder.

024_zpsae59df9d.jpg

And to drill a centre hole for some pipework... almost as good as lathe!

026_zps90fadd12.jpg

Thickened the bombay doors with plasitcard.

028_zpsf1b60ab5.jpg

Skinned the aux. fuel tank with .010" plastic card and filled the gaps with Mr surfacer.

001_zpsxma5jd6m.jpg

And this is how it is this evening, tank dry fitted (looks a little oversize to me), gas cylinder fitted and painted green (any ideas what this tank is for?).

002_zps2z7psv9f.jpg

Thanks for looking, gazza l

• Like 14

That bomb bay rocks! Was the fuel tank used when the Vulcan was used as a tanker? I do think you are right about the tank looking a bit over sized though, it seems a bit too deep to me.

Martin

• Like 1

That bomb bay rocks! Was the fuel tank used when the Vulcan was used as a tanker? I do think you are right about the tank looking a bit over sized though, it seems a bit too deep to me.

Martin

The Vulcan at Duxford was never a tanker. The saddle style fuel tank was fitted gave it more range. I can't remember off hand what the configuration of bomb bay tanks could be. When some of the Vulcan fleet were turned into tankers they had 3 'barrel' style tanks fitted in the bomb bay and the hose drum unit fitted where the Electronic Counter Measures used to be housed in the tail. The ECM cooling duct was also removed from the starboard side of the tail.

When XH558 was converted back from a tanker into the RAF display aircraft, the HDU had been removed but obviously no ECM put back. This moved the centre of gravity forward and to counteract this a barrel tank was left in the aft position in the bomb bay to help move the CoG of the aircraft back to where it should be. Also the cooling duct was never replaced.

On return to flight in 2007 the radar was removed from the nose and more weight added in its place meaning that the barrel tank in the bomb bay could be removed forever.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Thanks for your encouraging comments chaps.

Martin

Yep, definitely to large so I spent this evening making MKII auxiliary fuel tank.

Cheers, gazza l.