1/72 - RWD-8 PWS & DWL by IBG Models - released - new boxing

Homebee

IBG Models from Poland (http://ibgmodels.com/) is to release a new tool 1/72nd RWD-8 kit

- ref. 72501 - RWD-8 PWS

- ref. 72502 - RWD-8 DWL

- ref. 72527 - RWD-8 DWL in Palestine (Israeli Service)

Sources:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2015/Bilder_AT/Bilder_AT_1.htm

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/2-ausstellungen/11739-spielwarenmesse-nuernberg-2015-teil-2-verschiedene-hersteller.html

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/posts/715051468616500

As you probably know we've announced our first aircraft model kits in 1/72 during the Nurnberg fair. Now it's time to share some details, below you can find box arts for both versions and CAD pictures showing the models from different angles.

Both kits will be available around the middle of this year. The tooling is brand new and these two planes are just the beginning of our "Polish Wings" series!

10945676_715049151950065_909801996314190

10960457_715049145283399_109209369344664

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My kits arrived a few days ago. I big box (about A4 size) for a small aeroplane.

The DWL was a private company created primarily to design and develop light aircraft. Small scale production of selected types in batches of 10 to 20 would cover the cost of experimental and development work. In the case of large orders licence production would be offered to other Polish factories.

The RWD 8 began design in the autumn of 1931 inspired by the Sido S.1 lightplane. Primarily intended to meet the LOPP for requirement for an inexpensive tourer/trainer for civil flying clubs but also to meet the need of the Department of Aeronautics for a new primary trainer for the LW. The design was the last joint project of the original RWD team, Rogalski, Wigura and Drzewiecki which suffered the loss Wigura in the RWD 6 crash of 1932.

In 1933 the RWD 8 was extensively evaluated by the military and proved vastly superior to its competitor the PZL 5bis. Thus it was selected to succeed the Bartel M4 and Hanriot biplanes as the standard primary trainer for the LW. A licence for manufacturer was granted to the PWS company and large Government orders followed.

The PWS version differed from the DWL version in having deeper cockpit cut-outs with the plywood decking separating the front and rear seats being detachable, so that, in the initial phases of training, the instructor could observe the pupil. The airspeed and rev counter instruments mounted externally so clearly visible from both seats. The main undercarriage legs, provided as standard with PZL oleo-pneumatic shock absorbers, were not faired over and the streamlined fairings over the wing carrying carbane struts were omitted. The luggage locker door and steps were relocated from the starboard to port side and a large inspection panel provided at the rear of the fuselage. PWS also built 150 RWDs for civil use, mainly for the LOPP and some of these were provided with streamlined fairings enclosing the compression legs as with the DWL version. E.g., SP-BHW that won the 6th Lubelsko-Podlasian Aviation Competition in February 1939.

All these differences are catered for in the IGB kits although it takes a close inspection to see the differences in the carbane struts.

At first glance it may look that the two boxings contain the same kit with different decals. They are in fact different kits with a different fuselage for each type. The detachable decking is included as a separate part which you can fit or leave off as you like. Nobody can say it is wrong.

The cockpit is minimalist, two seats mounted on pedestals on the floor and two control sticks. No rudder pedals. The fuselage tubular construction is represented on the fuselage sides, correctly as square section. This is a might heavy and some may wish to replace it with Microstrip or similar material. No doubt the aftermarket will provide improvements, in the meantime Part have a PE set for the elderly ZTS kit available under the Masterkit label. Much of this should be usable.

Some parts are quite delicate especially the wishbone shaped support for the undercarriage. I fear that many kit will arrive with this part already damaged. A hot knife will probably be the best way to detach it from the sprue.

A little disappointing are the decals. There is only one option per kit and it is instantly obvious that they are different from the box lid illustrations. Colours are only given in Vallejo paints.

DWL version is SP-AMT. Colours are scarlet and grey white. Usually these DWL machines are described as red and aluminium dope. Some photographs do show metallic sheen so I have no idea how authentic grey white is. There are no number 6s on the decal sheet as on the box illustration. They are present on the photograph but may have been applied for a competition. The registration letters are red instead of black. This is plausible but in the photograph the name “LEGUN II” is much paler than the registration letters. If the name, as is most likely, is red then the registration is most likely black. What the photograph does show is that the under sides of the wings were red with white registration letters.

The PWS version is SP-BHX, a different machine to that in the box illustration. Colour given is reflective green, one of the plethora of olive greens available. The scheme is the standard one used for flying schools sponsored by the LOPP.

Hopefully the decal manufactures will soon come up with some alternative schemes. Alternatively you could by one of the Mastercraft kits just for the decals.

Edited by 303sqn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And a Attack Squadron wing resin correction set...

Source: http://www.attacksquadron.pl/en/2015/07/16/correction-set-for-rwd-8-from-ibg/

Correction set for RWD-8 from IBG

RWD-8 scale 1/72 from IBG was released at the end of June. Set advantages are easy assembly and good price. Unfortunately wing makes some accuracy problems and it has been pointed immediately by modelers. See quick solution of that problem with new set from Attack Squadron.

rwd_029.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New boxing in Q1 2018 - ref. 72504 - RWD-8 PWS in Romanian and Hungarian Service

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/photos/pcb.1525515880903384/1525513397570299/?type=3&theater

23915984_1525513397570299_11536983570765

29510907_1657592611029043_66281980178044 29496871_1657592607695710_49906596362629

29541279_1657592617695709_69496874495636 29497280_1657592674362370_85167756790185 

29496600_1657592677695703_13245954142494

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Interesting !

That's at least 3 of these kits sold to me, I am glad IBG Models have chosen to offer us a Hungarian and Romanian boxing as well.

I am very interested in comparing the IBG kits to the Mastercraft ones I have in my stash.

There was over 2 years break between those new boxes and first ones, I wonder if maybe IBG took that time and corrected wings for example?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 4:31 PM, Botan said:

There was over 2 years break between those new boxes and first ones, I wonder if maybe IBG took that time and corrected wings for example?

Hi Botan,

Yes, that's what I was thinking, we shall have to wait and see.

Regards Colin.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:31 AM, Botan said:

That'd be nice. It'd also be nice if they released it with markings for the air force that used it the most, instead of markings for EVERY OTHER AIR FORCE IN THE WORLD WHO EVER USED EVEN ONE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That'd be nice. It'd also be nice if they released it with markings for the air force that used it the most, instead of markings for EVERY OTHER AIR FORCE IN THE WORLD WHO EVER USED EVEN ONE.

That's a very interesting comment Sir !  My preferred interest is for the 'every other air force' markings.  But, I hope for you that IBG will do a marking for your choice of air force.

Regards Colin.

• Like 1

Just now, Colin1967 said:

That's a very interesting comment Sir !  My preferred interest is for the 'every other air force' markings.  But, I hope for you that IBG will do a marking for your choice of air force.

Regards Colin.

I just feel it's not unreasonable to see a Polish Air Force decal option, since they even use an RWD-8 in Polish Air Force markings as the box art for the PWS. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Why not both?

There are still civilian from Palestine and Estonia to be done, after those maybe they will make "September 1939" with Polish Air Force checkerboard? After all I get printed Latvian decals for old ZTS Plastyk kit, so no wonder IBG decided to release Latvian ones too, and because I have Palestinian decals, so in accordance to modellers Murphy's laws IBG have to make them too. :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Sagittarius 3D dedicated decals

V.P.

Links are broken, they leads to different decals.

Anyway, those still do not satisfy Procopius need for scheme with white-red checkerboards.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

I just feel it's not unreasonable to see a Polish Air Force decal option, since they even use an RWD-8 in Polish Air Force markings as the box art for the PWS. 

Quite agree with you.   I can't see why you shouldn't get your Polish Air Force markings for the RWD-8 you want either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's really annoying when I see Latvian and Finnish pre-war national insygnia broken into zyllion. They were not connected to Adolf and co. This political correctness is sick. Svastikas were used long before nazis. Wonder if anyone ever said to Buddhists and Hinduists that they have been nazis for hundreds of years. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...