AVG Hawk 81-A-2

Lots of fiddly bits done. Clear parts have been dipped in Clear and put aside to dry.

16574425815_de2d85bc4b_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Airfix instructions tell you to use the straight pitot tube, but all the phots I could find of 68 show the cranked version, so I used that. Despite thinning the gear legs and sanding down the wheel centres, they were still a very tight fit. Exhausts have been painted and rust powdered, but I forgot to take a photo!

16573288242_82c7d9b50f_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Thank you. That was the plan.

16574236032_ab738b94c9_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

15952800434_9383cce3b0_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately dipping the canopy seems to have been a mistake, it's drying with flow marks and maybe even some tiny bubbles, which is a shame as the canopy was perfectly clear beforehand, perhaps a case where ignoring the conventional wisdom might have been good.

• Like 2

Gouache! Gouache in lieu of oils. Wow. Colour me stunned. (that particular medium was the bane of my college years FYI)

It looks so nice with the dot filter. It perfectly simulates the dusty look. Good progress!

• Like 1

I take it you used a "Future" type solution to dip the canopy? I have read that you can re-immerse the part in a bath of the future/klear/etc and it will dissolve the former coat.

Another option for dealing with acrylic paint is a bath in Windex, I use a small cheap ultrasonic cleaner to correct and restore my spoiled canopies. Works like a charm with everything I have on hand; Tamiya, Modelmaster Acryl, Vallejo, Citadel. I got my ultrasonic tank on ebay for $25 shipped.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I've washed the Klear off many a canopy with Windex and then re-coated, when trying to get some tinting just right.

I prefer to brush on Future/Klear that's thinned just a bit with distilled water. It goes on a little thinner that way, dries quicker, and self levels really well in my experience.

• Like 2

You can strip back the new clear not sure how but if it's old I don't think you can without ammonia which is very nasty

I use Windex to do it, which does contain ammonia here. It's pretty benign unless you quaff it like jugged wine.

So a day of canopy disasters continues. The bath in window cleaner worked, but I damaged the frame when I was masking it. And it wasn't a great masking job, so it needed fairly extensive cleaning with a cocktail stick, and that damaged the paint on the framing. At this point I decided to quit while I was ahead. I fitted the rear windows and the canopy, figuring I could replace it later if I want to. So here's the semi-finished article. I have a canopy from an old kittyhawk in the spares box and might see if that will fit.

15983650963_2e9b453f56_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16577448376_7ffbd52b8e_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16396128867_df326f8c4f_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thank you. The section that got damaged is at the rear, where it overlaps the side window, so it's not too obvious, but I may yet try and get a replacement from Airfix. Apart from the canopy struggles I enjoyed the build, and it's made me keen to do the desert version that's in the stash.

One machine gun barrel came off. I have a quickboost set but I might save them for the RAF version. I'll need to scratch a replacement.

I believe it's a Newtonian law of modelling, the happier you are with a build, the closer to the end comes the cock-up!

There's a variant law which states the closer to the end, the larger the disaster, I believe?

• Like 2