1/72 Airfix Defiant Nightfighter, 151 Squadron, Wittering, Dec. 1940

I've just finished the first of my two Defiant nightfighter builds using the new tool Airfix kit:

DSCN2368.jpg

DSCN2370.jpg

DSCN2372.jpg

DSCN2373.jpg

DSCN2375.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

The kit is a beauty, nicely moulded and doesn't have any of the unorthodox construction methods noted in some of the recent Airfix releases and it went together with very little effort on my part. The decals too were excellent and the colour density meant they applied to the black surface without dulling the colours of the markings - even the stencils were still readable. The only point I would make is that a canopy mask set might be recommended for those of a nervous disposition :blink:

I fluffed the weathering a bit, in that it doesn't really look like there is any, but I don't feel that bad about it :lol: - I'll be a bit more radical on the next one and see where that gets me. I've painted the wingtip navigation lights in red and green; in real life they were clear perspex covers for coloured lightbulbs but I am content to let the colours represent what they are (yes, I am very lazy indeed, why do you ask?) - you may of course do as you wish :D

The markings are those provided as one of the kit options, the other being a 264 Squadron aircraft in the Dark Green/Dark Earth/Sky scheme from the Battle of Britain. This option, NN3328, went to 151 Squadron in December 1940 and according to the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces book was used by a number of pilots including Battle of Britain ace James Hopewell and the future ace Henry Bodien. From 151 Squadron NN3328 apparently served with various other units, ending up with either 255 Squadron or Number 10 Air Gunnery School where it later crashed and was destroyed - there are conflicting reports of that event here and here, I have no idea which is correct but they do not agree in any of the details apart from the aircraft type and the serial number.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 44

Hi Stew!!!!!

Without a doubt you are very very lucky and fortunate to have a first hand chance to get the new kits that go into the market as fresh bread, we at this side of the pond have to wait until the "packed and canned meat" can reach our shores, but are happy to watch the news coming from the "Craddle of Modeling".

Really I nearly killed someone to get the Airfix old rendition and are happy with that, but looking your magnificent job and the wonderful comments you do, I really will treassure the Old one to get the new one ASAP, or maybe until those nice new models can reach our shores in my city hobby shop. I have recently downloaded the old Profile covering the subject, and sure will start to read about as the first opportunity arises.

Congratulations for your magnificent work and very happy you can add this new gem to the crown in your finished masterpieces shelves, and very thankful to you for the nice review you did for this nice kit.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. Looks like a lovely kit.

Thanks Noel, it is a very nice kit and builds up really well :)

Looks great. I'll be getting couple of these too - one 264 sqdn (Thorne), and one black.

Thanks Meatbox, I think I'll be doing a couple in the Temperate Land Scheme too - I think I read somewhere (though typically I can't remember where) that the Defiant markings in the Dogfight Double set are for an aircraft flown by Sgts Thorne and Barker... :hmmm: ...ah, it's on the instruction sheet - L7005 PSoB - there is a note that it is not L7006 PSoX with which it is often confused; credited according to Fred Barker...

Hi Stew!!!!!

Without a doubt you are very very lucky and fortunate to have a first hand chance to get the new kits that go into the market as fresh bread, we at this side of the pond have to wait until the "packed and canned meat" can reach our shores, but are happy to watch the news coming from the "Craddle of Modeling".

Really I nearly killed someone to get the Airfix old rendition and are happy with that, but looking your magnificent job and the wonderful comments you do, I really will treassure the Old one to get the new one ASAP, or maybe until those nice new models can reach our shores in my city hobby shop. I have recently downloaded the old Profile covering the subject, and sure will start to read about as the first opportunity arises.

Congratulations for your magnificent work and very happy you can add this new gem to the crown in your finished masterpieces shelves, and very thankful to you for the nice review you did for this nice kit.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Louis, thank you my friend, I hope you are well - if you nearly killed someone for the old tooling Defiant you may well commit multiple homicides for this one - but patience is a virtue, you will enjoy this kit when it reaches you :D

That's a big thumbs up from me. Well done.

Thank you very much Chaddy :)

A little corker!

Pete

Thanks Pete :)

• Like 1

Lovely.

Thanks Simon, very kind of you :)

Stew this great, like it a lot, gotta get me one.

Thanks Steve, yes, absolutely recommended without reservation :D

Very interesting to see it done so well :) And thank you for small review.

Cheers

J-W

Jerzy-Wojtek, thank you very much :)

That's a lovely looking little model :):goodjob:

Thanks very much matey :D

Thanks for your attention guys :)

Cheers,

Stew

The Defiant always looked like it was trying to lean into the wind - my impression anyway.

Great build Stew, and despite the tribulations, very realistic weathering. Full marks here.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Cracking and a great wip, always love a shark mouth! Really looking forward to seeing no 2 as it's looking a real treat.

I know you said it didn't turn out how you would have liked but I think it's come out really well....and you can always get another we won't mind!!!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

First one I've seen built, and it looks a cracker!

10/10 to Airfix and 11/10 for the build!

• Like 1

That,s a cracking job Stew,I like the fresh clean finish which lets face it most of us will do when we get our hands on this little beauty! Great WIP and mini review too.

• Like 1

Lovely job Stew, despite your comments in the build thread I think your finish and weathering is spot on - subtle wins every time.

Looking forward to No2

Steve.

• Like 1