Airfix SWIFT

piggypod1

Mitchell devver is how it is pronounced

Meanwhile.......

Back on the Airfix Swift topic. Am I the only person on this forum that is NOT looking forward to Airfix's eventual release of the Swift, or come to think of it, the Airfix Shackleton as well?.

Looking at Airfix's poor track record regarding "new generation" new tool 1/72nd scale kits that they have manufactured over the last few years, (Canberra,Valiant, Gnat, Vampire, Harrier) to name a few, and their obsession with producing every single 1/72nd scale kit with grossley overscribed, deep wide out of scale panel demarcation lines. That leaves a completed model, even if it is made by the most competent, professional builders amongst us looking something very similar to the Corgi Classic range of diecasts.

Then of course, there are the wheels! Believe it or not Mr Airfix, there are still many modellers out there who prefer unweighted wheels. Why not include two sets of wheels? weighted and unweighted.

Then there are the canopies, oh those canopies! On first sight they look good. Nice and shiny and clear. Great but... Look more closely and you will discover the majority if not all, carry the same Airfix trade mark. Identical, internal impregnated squiggly molding line that usually runs from the cockpit windscreen across the canopy hood. Impossible to remove even by the well proven methods. Vampire, Harrier and Gnat are the worst.

Not to mention the bad quality control issues that are plaguing the Swift.

So good luck to all you Airfix fans, WHEN they finally get their act together and release the wretched thing.

Down the years I have not been a particular fan or gone out of my way to buy Airfix kits for a myriad of reasons. But I can't disagree with the above more, Airfix have significantly upped their game in the last couple of years.

I give you the quarter scale Gnat and the recent Dornier Do 17, Blenheim Mk1 and Vampire T11 as a handful of examples.

Marty...

Built a 1/72 gnat, canopy was clear and free from imperfections and fit and panel lines of the whole kit seemed pretty good.

Cost was about £5. Would recommend it to anyone.

Have a Valiant waiting in the stash, looks like another great kit.

Will be buying a Swift and making a MK-7 to contrast my built Xtrakit Mk-5 .

Don't mind the wait if it all in the name of quality control.

Down the years I have not been a particular fan or gone out of my way to buy Airfix kits for a myriad of reasons. But I can't disagree with the above more, Airfix have significantly upped their game in the last couple of years.

I give you the quarter scale Gnat and the recent Dornier Do 17, Blenheim Mk1 and Vampire T11 as a handful of examples.

Marty...

:ditto:

While the earlier Hornby era moulds left a lot to be desired (and some really looked like toys more than model kits), Airfix have improved dramatically over the last few years. Granted, their kits today may not be tamigawa quality (or not even Academy quality) but they are nonetheless very acceptable. The Airfix design team also seems to be very focused on accuracy and personally I'd rather have an accurate kit with deep panel lines than a caricature with lovely panel lines.

In any case, the Swift is a subject that is unlikely to raise any interest among the Far East manufacturers mentioned above, I doubt we'll ever see any other kit after the Airfix one, unless some Czech firm will look into it. Me, I'm looking forward to this kit

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Trevor Snowden is a friend and I was fortunate on occasions to have an insight into what went on. Remember Trevor also brought out the 1/48 Lightning and Spitfire/Sea 24/47 kits and 1/24th Mosquito. This latter model was mentioned to me as a possible project more years ago than I can remember,certainly over 20 but it was a huge financial risk. It is probably true that more new 1/72 kits have appeared in recent times, so what, a change of focus.

Many of the other problems were due to where the Company management decided where and how much money they would spend. The Heller years were a disaster and were a difficult problem for Airfix to break away. The Concord was a Heller project and for some reason different sprues were produced in two factories hence the fit.

Almost all the moulding and production has been done abroad with all the attendant problems as well as the world financial woes.

Just remember that you're not in Airfix marketing and what you may consider as a vital requirement in a model may not be how it's seen by a marketing department looking at a much wider customer base with a definite profit margin.

In my opinion the new young Hi tech nurtured design and production team are trying their best to put Airfix on the map again. They're embracing new ideas and techniques and researching with a broad net, so let's see what happens.

John

• Like 3

Quality Assurance has been an issue with Airfix, but mainly through production run with the contract companies that Airfix use in China and India, I believe that the kits are already boxed and sealed when they are shipped, but I might be wrong on this, as I was only told through various people I know

Are not Hasegwa, Tamyia, Special Hobby, Eduard et al produced overseas?

Yes, but not usually overseas from themselves, and by a different company. (Are they ?).

Edited by stuartp

Why is this an issue? Are not Hasegwa, Tamyia, Special Hobby, Eduard et al produced overseas?

I think that John meant that the moulding is contracted to another company which is located at a distance from the Airfix team. Eduard definitely mould their own kits so they don't have that problem.

• Like 1

Why is this an issue? Are not Hasegwa, Tamyia, Special Hobby, Eduard et al produced overseas?

Marty...

As far as I'm aware, all the examples you quote aren't produced "overseas". Hasegawa & Tamiya are based in Japan, and develope and produce their kits in Japan. Ditto for Eduard and Special Hobby in the Czech republic. Airfix are developing their kits here in the UK and producing them in India and China, which whilst no doubt gives them cost saving, has also led to issues with quality.

• Like 1

I think that John meant that the moulding is contracted to another company which is located at a distance from the Airfix team. Eduard definitely mould their own kits so they don't have that problem.

Yes. The other companies who mould etc abroad are themselves abroad, and sitting on top of any people they contract out to. Airfix have to liase from half a planet away, which is not going to be helpful.

Paul.

But, why is that an overseas issue? One could design a project in Truro and it be manufactured in Dumfermiline? Why the abroad reference? That was the baffling point.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

I would imagine Airfix leave the Quality control to the contract companies to sought out, it seems obvious they are not doing a 100% job on certain things, we had a similar issue when I worked at a textile company that produced and printed our textiles in the UK, we had very good QC, but some of the production was moved to Turkey for printing, and we had no end of problems with faulty printed cloth, as their QC was not up to our standard

Eduard's problem is in the design phase. Reference their recent overscale "1/48" Bf 109.

What they are dancing around it the fact that they are produced in India and all the supposed issues associated with that. There, I said it....

Thank God Airfix did not choose the US of A to manufacture their kits - they would be worse we all know that America does not care about QC and goes chasing the dollar and will skin anyone to to get that last cent.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

I've had the new Airfix Swift kit for two months now. It does not have any ejector pin push-throughs, the canopy is thin, crystal clear and has no flow lines, the tyres are not weighted, and the panel lines are not grossly over-scribed nor deep, wide, or out of scale.

If that's your definition of wretched, bring 'em 'on! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Well! Well! Well!

A crystal clear canopy with no flow lines, no weighted tyres, panel lines not grossly over scribed or deep, wide or out of scale.

AT LAST. From your description Bill, it sounds like Airfix appear to have finally got it right regarding a new tool 1/72nd scale kit. YEEHA! After all this time!

If the Airfix Swift panel lines you describe are the same depth and width as the excellent MPM/Special Hobby range of 1/72nd scale Meteor kits, which I consider to be the correct depth for depicting 1/72nd scale panel lines and the Airfix Swift canopy is to the same very high (second to none) standard of the MPM kits, then I will willingly regain my enthusiasm to start purchasing 1/72nd scale Airfix kits again.

I do have an affection for Airfix, I purchased and built my first Airfix kit in 1962, and have lost count of how many Airfix kits I have purchased and built over the years. But, having purchased the Canberra, Valiant, Gnat and Vampire kits, I have not been happy with the end results. Nothing wrong with my building, nothing wrong with my painting, it's those ridiculously deep, out of scale panel lines that just do not look right, and the crap Airfix canopies. Try putting a completed Airfix kit next to a similarly sized well lit photograph of the real aircraft, and look at the panel lines on the real aircraft and compare it to the completed Airfix kit.

CASE PROVEN

We are all entitled to our opinion, whether we all agree or disagree. After all that's what keeps this forum going.

All the best

TENNESSEE

Tennessee,

My kit was from the first batch that went to the USA, and many kits from this batch had some problems. Maybe I got lucky.

Comparing to my MPM Meteor F.8, I would say that the Airfix panel lines are ever so slightly more pronounced, but they are nothing at all like the early Hornby re-tool of the Spitfire Mk.I for instance. There has been a huge improvement in this area, almost with each new release it seems to me. Airfix is listening to us.

The build of the Swift which was made for the magazine over-emphasizes the panel lines. It looks like the builder filled them with tar or something. To be honest, I have no idea how he/she made them look that bad. In real life, they are quite petite.

The tyres are definitely not weighted, I think this is the first time I've seen this on their new tools. Is it a trend? Remains to be seen. The canopy on the Swift is quite nice as well, and I would rate it at the same level as the Meteor F.8 that I have.

In any event, I think we as modellers have seen that Airfix has a spotty quality issue right now, and since some of the kits, like mine, are really well done, and others have problems, it means that the engineering is good and most likely the tooling is good, too. It's the execution of the moulding that seems to be erratic. But, that's all uninformed speculation as none of us really know what's going on unless we work for Airfix.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Marty, your last post is the biggest line of malarkey I've seen on this forum. What nonsense!

• Like 3

It's sometimes amazing just how many armchair kit designers and overseas traders there are on the forum. To qualify 'abroad', "I'm sorry I didn't understand your email. When I said I was worried about about the trench lines I wasn't inferring that a war had started". " Can I speak with the engineer". "He doesn't speak much English!". "Oh, Sorry I speak no Hindu/Cantonese at all". "Is your interpreter an engineer". "No, it's our secretary she watches East Enders". :winkgrin:

As to looking at scale panel lines at a reasonable distance, what you are mostly seeing is shadow and dirt.. It may be that the criteria is that they don't disappear with a coat of brush paint applied by the 'average' modeller

If something doesn't meet your criteria then you are at liberty to write politely to Airfix and give them the benefit of your wisdom You never know...

John

• Like 4

Thank God Airfix did not choose the US of A to manufacture their kits - they would be worse we all know that America does not care about QC and goes chasing the dollar and will skin anyone to to get that last cent.

Marty...

Marty must be a Time-Warner or Comcast subscriber.

(Note to readers outside the US: Time-Warner and Comcast are the two largest cable TV providers in the US of A. Their reputations for service and reliability are even lower than that of the US Congress at the moment. So how do they propose to renew their customers' faith? By merging to create the LARGEST cable TV company with a lousy reputation for service and reliability! Only in America can this happen.)

Edited by Space Ranger

QC issues can happen anywhere to any company - it's how they deal with those issues that counts. Airfix seems to be having continued QC issues - they really need to get them sorted, either by putting their own QC engineer in place in India, or firing the chap who is already there...! ;0)

In any event, Airfix's QC issues are an annoyance, but at least they don't build airliners that fall out of the sky, or build airbags that don't inflate properly in an accident, or build cars that accelerate uncommanded... Perhaps we all need to remember that before this gets any further out of hand.