Bell Huey family STGB chat

hgbn

Thanks a lot Henrik!

I had forgotten about Iran! Now do I do a 212 in IRIN markings or do I try to convert my AH-1T in to an Iranian AH-1J, oh bugger!

You're welcome Craig. think this is the most comprehensive STGB ever to launch. Should be possible for everybody to find a version to suit the need of their liking :analintruder:

• Like 1

Okay guys, hopefully there is an expert amongst you who can answer this simpleton's question.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I am giving consideration to building an Iranian AH-1J from an AH-1T kit I have (1/48 scale AH-1J's are rarer than hen's teeth) and I would like to know if this is actually possible and how much work is involved.

Thanks.

Craig. (Who is becoming more and more obsessed with this group build!)

I'm no Cobra expert, But if I read the facts right then the T have a larger tail boom than the J and larger main rotor blades. I can be wrong however.

• Like 1

I have a UH-1B with the front seats done and a bit of cockpit etch fitted. Otherwise it's unassembled and 90% on the sprues. I'm happy to postpone work until the GB starts if our hosts think it's not sufficiently advanced to rule it out. It's destined to be a Royal Australian Navy version in an Oxford blue/white scheme.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Iroquois-N9-3103

Cheers Andrew

I might be tempted to do a Norwegian UH-1B or 412SP. I have several kits and decals to work from. But I will wait till the GB starts see if it fits other projects.

Nils

• Like 1

1. hgbn Host
  2. milktrip co-host
  3. heloman1
  4. Wafu
  5. mungo74
  6. depressed lemur
  7. somtec
  8. modelling minion
  9. Enzo Matrix
  10. snapper_city
  11. georgeusa
  12. Rob G
  13. infofrog
  14. AndyC
  15. Nigel Heath
  16. S5 modeller
  17. Rodders154
  18. SleeperService
  19. abat
  20. Vingtor

Welcome aboard guys

One for Mr Heath. I was having a flick through a helicopter reference book and noted a photo of a Japanese UH-1B; it had the orange band at the front but had an all over metal / silver finish rather than olive drab. Personally I think it would look better in these colours next to your flying banana. Its only one small photo (I can take a photo of it an post it up later) but if I'm at the next club meeting I can bring the book along. The book is written in German so I will have to try and translate the caption as well. I'd also like to say that Hubschrauber is such an amazing word

Personally I think it would look better in these colours next to your flying banana.

Agreed, I look forward to seeing the picture. :thumbsup2:

Second thoughts, I don't think the white Japanese script would work on a silver background:

P1090629_zpsc5e41641.jpg

• Like 1

aaah; I thought the script was black for some reason? Had another look at this pic and you'd need a sort of lotus flower looking decal and some difficult masking as there are sections of what appears to be light blue (similar to the green section on your banana (fnarr fnarr) ). I'll still post a pic but think it would be easier to just go with the kit scheme.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Have any of you bought the new edition of Aviation Classics about the Huey yet? Beware it is dangerously inspiring!

I bought my copy this morning and have already come up with another 4 or 5 that I want to build, oh dear I don't think that I can wait until the GB starts before I have to scratch my Huey itch!

It really is a good magazine and has a extremely useful and thorough walk-around of the UH-1H owned by The Huey helicopter team. This helicopter is very important to those of us in the UK as it is the only Huey to have served in Vietnam which is on our register, some of the repaired bullet holes are called out on the walk-around pictures.

I can see myself having to invest in some more kits (again)!!

Craig.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Have any of you bought the new edition of Aviation Classics about the Huey yet? Beware it is dangerously inspiring!

I bought my copy this morning and have already come up with another 4 or 5 that I want to build, oh dear I don't think that I can wait until the GB starts before I have to scratch my Huey itch!

It really is a good magazine and has a extremely useful and thorough walk-around of the UH-1H owned by The Huey helicopter team. This helicopter is very important to those of us in the UK as it is the only Huey to have served in Vietnam which is on our register, some of the repaired bullet holes are called out on the walk-around pictures.

I can see myself having to invest in some more kits (again)!!

Craig.

Thanks for the heads up,will buy a copy this week.

I'm with you that itch has to be scratched.....picked up a Italeri 1/48 UH-1N this week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to my local (50km away) mag shop and saw the Aviation Classis mag but at the equivelent of 15 Quid and not much more than I alread have in my own reference files, I thought no I can buy another Huey kit... I was disappointed.

Colin

Looks at the stash with an AB-204/UH-1F kit in it...

Thinks of how many 204/205/212 helicopters I fly in and see each summer...they are the second most common helicopter series used after the Eurocopter AS350 series...

Sign me up for this if you're still taking people,

foresterab

Now to decide between a fire crew rappel machine, bucket support, or logistic load....

• 2 months later...