Is there such a thing as a slow light drill?

Beardie

Hi all,

My favourite field of modelling is WWI aircraft which means a lot of twisting 0.3 mm drill bits in pin vices for rigging holes. I was wondering if there is such a thing as an ultra lightweight slow speed drill out there somewhere that I just haven't discovered yet. Something that could maybe go even below 100rpm to ensure accurate hole positioning and was light enough that it reduced the risk of flexing these delicate little drill bits and snapping them (I go through at least two or three per model and a lot of the breakages I believe are due to flexing the drill bits when turning them in pin vices).

I have a standard small variable speed hobby type drill but it's slowest speed is still a touch too fast, a footswitch would be a handy addition too to allow you to start the drill once you have got the bit in the right spot.

I was thinking more along the lines of a dinky little handheld device, maybe even battery operated. It doesn't need to have much torque, in fact it would preferably not have much torque at all as you want the drill bit to revolve relatively slowly and not drive it too hard or you risk melting the styrene or snapping the bit (they really are very easily broken).

I might do some experimenting as I have a couple of variable voltage DC power supplies stashed away somewhere and they have footswitches too. I just need to find a small electric motor with a chuck attached (or that I can easily attach a chuck to). It's at times like these when I have my little bright ideas that I really wish I had a workshop kitted out with the lathe/milling machine/pillar drill etc. that would make fabricating this sort of thing childsplay.

Electric screwdrivers like that would probably work, as they have a clutch so you can gear the torque way, way down. But the problem (I would think) would be finding a chuck that would fit it properly. Particularly one that can take bits as small as 0.3mm.

I use a cheap 12-14 Volt DC mini drill and use a old electric model train DC transformer as the power supply. then you adjust the RPM on the drill by turning the knob on the transformer. As low as 10-15 RPM if you want.. Served me for at least 20 years without trouble at all. Using it for drilling, grinding and stirring paint.

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/power-tools/rotary-tools/minicraft-rotary-tool.html

and one of these

https://az95169.vo.msecnd.net/images/fleischmann/6755.jpg

Something like that. Simply cut the plug of the electrical wire and connect it to the old DC transformer.

Edited by hgbn

Electric screwdrivers like that would probably work, as they have a clutch so you can gear the torque way, way down. But the problem (I would think) would be finding a chuck that would fit it properly. Particularly one that can take bits as small as 0.3mm.

What about putting the drill-bit into a pin vice, then chucking that into the screwdriver? At the sort of speeds envisaged, there shouldn't be too much risk of one stopping while the other tries to turn.

And this ought to complete things

Just looking at a similar (the same item?) on Amazon, reviews suggest it may be a little eccentric, and perhaps not in a good way...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052CE59I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1RGC1CMXZYM3090G2JSN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Could be an issue for precision work?

Andrew

The cheap little chuck is just that. Not good with fine drills, and wobbly . You can of course use an Archimedes hand drill. For fine drills, get some model aircraft u/c piano wire and . flatten the end and then using a magnifier file/grind the end to a spearpoint and cut off about a 2.5 cm long. These make fine flexible drills. I have a very slow cheap mini battery powered screwdriver from Maplins called a Workpro. It's so slow it's quicker by hand.

John

The problem with the archimedes is having to push down on it the tiny drill bits would probably snap. I buy the bits reasonably cheap from China but if you use ten or more on a tricky rigging job it adds another quid or two to the cost of the build. I was thinking that with a powered drill there would be less wobble around the vertical axis and therefore less flex related breakages. I think the minicraft style drill and one of my variable voltage power supplies is my best first port of call. I have a precision small chuck that would fit which I normally use by hand plus as I said my power supplies are footswitch controlled meaning I can place the tip of the drill bit in the right spot and then tap the footswitch to start it turning (The power supplies of which I speak are designed for running tattoo machines hence the footswitch control and they deliver fine tuned voltages ideal for running DC electric motors).

The problem with the archimedes is having to push down on it the tiny drill bits would probably snap. I buy the bits reasonably cheap from China but if you use ten or more on a tricky rigging job it adds another quid or two to the cost of the build. I was thinking that with a powered drill there would be less wobble around the vertical axis and therefore less flex related breakages. I think the minicraft style drill and one of my variable voltage power supplies is my best first port of call. I have a precision small chuck that would fit which I normally use by hand plus as I said my power supplies are footswitch controlled meaning I can place the tip of the drill bit in the right spot and then tap the footswitch to start it turning (The power supplies of which I speak are designed for running tattoo machines hence the footswitch control and they deliver fine tuned voltages ideal for running DC electric motors).

I did snap a lot of drill bits, in the end what I did was to sleeve the drill bit inside a hypodermic needle section (any number can be bought of all shapes and sizes for a few quid on t' 'bay) secure with epoxy and you have a stronger drill bit which also, because it's now thicker, is more positive in the chuck.

• Like 3

Hi all,

My favourite field of modelling is WWI aircraft which means a lot of twisting 0.3 mm drill bits in pin vices for rigging holes. I was wondering if there is such a thing as an ultra lightweight slow speed drill out there somewhere that I just haven't discovered yet. Something that could maybe go even below 100rpm to ensure accurate hole positioning and was light enough that it reduced the risk of flexing these delicate little drill bits and snapping them (I go through at least two or three per model and a lot of the breakages I believe are due to flexing the drill bits when turning them in pin vices).

I have a standard small variable speed hobby type drill but it's slowest speed is still a touch too fast, a footswitch would be a handy addition too to allow you to start the drill once you have got the bit in the right spot.

The smaller the drill the faster you want it is a bench mark.Its the feed (force applied) that needs to be light. Hi speed light feed. If the piece can be clamped all the better but I assume this isn't the case. If you go slow it can just "punch" though the last little bit and the piece travels up the twist drill's flutes as the "punch hole" has a twist drill cross section and uses the twist drill as a screw thread and your piece is the nut. To centre the drill correctly....... Can you just lean or light sharp tap with a thin pointy thing like a pin (or scriber without sheet distortion) of some kind where you want the drill to start? Its not easy is it?

Edited by bzn20

I could make a punch with a fine needle or such to give the drill a start point, the big problem is getting a fine drill bit which is spinning at speed to land perfectly on that mark in soft plastic, that is the reason I am thinking slow speed and foot controlled so that I can place the drill point in the correct place and then start it running slowly in place, once the hole has been started properly I could then increase the speed if necessary, first I need to get a suitable drill as the mini drills I have at the moment are 240v mains operated without a separate DC supply.

How about have the on button set to on and fit an inline foot switch between the plug and drill so the power will be at the drill as soon as you hit the pedal? Then adjust speed as required.

Just ordered one of these from hlj
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74041/Sup

It's under the £15 customs limit so you won't pay the vat and post office charges, it's on backorder but they seem to get the stock through fairly quickly when I have ordered other stuff on backorder

It comes as a kit that you assemble yourself, tap it in on youtube and you'll see :lol:

That does look interesting, one question though.... Which is more accurate in handling? 1. A tool with pistol grip or 2. Tool held in hand in the manner of a pen?

I kind of feel that a pen style grip gives better control but I could well be wrong on this, would love to hear any opinions on this.

IMO

For what you're drilling I don't think it matters to be honest, Dremmel type shaped best,if thats what you mean by pen,If your going to start drilling through 16 SWG sheet steel, Pistol. With a Pistol, you're holding off center with a very small twist drill and SNAP!

• 4 years later...
On 1/30/2015 at 11:10 AM, Beardie said:

Hey Beardie

Have you looked into Tamiyas small battery powered drill, its blue and comes in kit form you assemble it. I just bought one for basically the same thing.

Ron G 

• Like 1