HT's AZ P-40E, 2xHase P-40E's & Monogram P-36

In with a little one. although if have enough time will build a couple more. Started this week.

Box Shot

DSC_0031.jpg

Parts. This kit will need a lot of tiding up as there is a lot of flash some quite heavy and thick in places.

DSC_0032.jpg

Cockpit parts assembled. I decided to not use the PE set and save it for another kit. The CP is pretty good and yu can get some details out of this so didn't think constructing the PE and using it was warranted.

DSC_0033.jpg

Wheel bays cemented in place.

DSC_0034.jpg

Hu 151 brushed with a bit of weathering

DSC_0035.jpg

Pit Painted with just the belts to finish.

DSC_0036.jpg

Pit in place with the CP, all good so far

DSC_0038.jpg

And now the little issues pop up, naming the fit between the fuselage halves. Some filling is required.

DSC_0039.jpg

I though I might as well clamp on the wing as there are fit issues here as well. You will have to take a slither off the wing root either side and the join underneath for the wing to fit.

DSC_0040.jpg

My special brew used as a filler now left to dry before sanding.

DSC_0041.jpg

This is the plan after this one.

DSC_0042.jpg

Edited by Hardtarget
  • Like 4

You'll know the little fit issues then good luck.

The filler I use is melted sprue. Sprue mixed with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Great stuff, dries hard, leaves a plastic finish rather than a grainy finish that other fillers leave behind. Its also a great medium to sand and you can sand fairly hard with the confidence that your not going to loose detail. Came about it by accident after watching a flory models vid when Phil was talking about fillers and stated that he had something that they might commercially sell. I did a little experiment with some Tamiya cement which melted the sprue but not violent enough so I used MEK and that was great. Im lucky I have a 2ltr bottle of the stuff as I use it for a glue as well. So there you go, give it a try. I have grey, white and black mixed up and im going to try clear sprue to see if that drys transparent.

Never seen that Alamein set before!

Do you want a set I have a spare, both kits are new tooling? PM me

• Like 2

Yes, PC, you must acquire more P-40's - they're good for you, and all the cool kids are making them.

Sorry, should have thanked you for the tip first thing HT, but got distracted trying to get Procopius to get more P-40's.

That's a great idea to use different colors of plastic.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 2

I got here in the end, too many builds on the go, and wanted to finish the Ventrua as well but time got in the way. This GB should be a bit more plain sailing. Use the old Tamiya pots to store it. Fill about half way with MEK and add sprue, leave for a few hrs and then add more to the consistency you require.

Edited by Hardtarget
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A little update which actually was from last week as this week ive been a bit ill to say the least.

Cockpits for the Haseg kits were airbrushed int green and a little silver weathering.

DSC_0047.jpg

Fuselage mated together.

DSC_0046.jpg

The AZ got her top coat of dark earth and dark green. The closest to the P-40 camo colours (ANA 612/617) I got was Revell Seagrun 48 and Aeromasters US dark earth. The green was freehand sprayed on with my cheapo airbrush but now my infinity has turned up freehand will be a bit more defined for the haseg p-40's I hope.

DSC_0048.jpg

Underside airbrushed aeromaster neutral grey.

DSC_0049.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so ive been busy modelling rather than posting so here the latest update which included an addition I started yesterday.

The 343FG kitty got her camo on, I used aeromasters Od along with their OD faded to try and get some distinction which with the flahs on , highlights hits a bit too much.

DSC_0051.jpg

Masking of the tail where there is a white shaped 'L' to be shown.

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Whilst the white was loaded, 'white'42' got her nose painted.

DSC_0090.jpg

'Yellow 41' get her yellow nose and yellow fuselage stripe.

DSC_0091.jpg

And now, I was in the loft looking around admiring the stash and I came across this little kit from 1989 with the kits from 1977.

DSC_0092.jpg

Ins and decals (which look good).
DSC_0093.jpg

Catalogue
DSC_0094.jpg

Sprues
DSC_0095.jpg

Engine is a very poor representation so a rummage in the spares box and I found a resin one.

DSC_0096.jpg

Also left over from a Azure p-36, a floor and some new wheels.

DSC_0097.jpg

Ill need the connecting rod to the pro but adaptation will be required to fit the new resin engine.

DSC_0098.jpg

Engine, wheels and props painted hu56.

DSC_0099.jpg

Wings went together with out major issues.

DSC_0100.jpg

Pit painted with the new floor.

DSC_0101.jpg

Engine in place. I had to remove the mounting rods for the old engine and remove the main lump of resin at the back of the engine.

DSC_0102.jpg

And whilst all that lot was going on, I cemented the oleos in place for the p-40s.

DSC_0103.jpg

The once set enough, they were all 'cleared'.

DSC_0104.jpg

Wings attached to the p-36 where gaps need filling at the wing root are required.

DSC_0105.jpg

But they are no way as bad as the cowling.

DSC_0106.jpg

Edited by Hardtarget
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update, and they should be finished for sunday.

The large gaps filled in with liquid plastic.

DSC_0050.jpg

Once cured she was given a generous coating od JP's Aluminium powder (got this stuff gets everywhere).

DSC_0051_1.jpg

I had to wait for some yellow numbers and US Army letters from Hannants to arrive before I could complete the decaling. The supersale sheets only really come with the main art work with roundels and numbers to be provided separately.

DSC_0052.jpg

Underside.

DSC_0053.jpg

Now the glazing then weathering and done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...