1/72 - Academy - F-4 Phantom II (USN F-4J)

172flogger

From the photos I see that the "snap" gave way to an "Intuitive build - lots of details" motto.

The missiles look like those in the GWH MiG-29 kits. I mean the way they are cast on the sprues, although we have seen Sidewinders and Sparrows come as single pieces, respectively, in 1/72 for ever.

The two decal sheets appear to serve the same purpose (subject) albeit one time as regular decals and the other as 'stickers'.

Anyway, I hope the "lots of details" part of the motto will live up its promise :santa:

Edited by niki

Being that F-4's are my all time favorite build I was quite interested in this long Waited release. These are my quick comments based on just the same pictures you see:

I think Academy is using the term "snap tite" to highlight the excellent fit. It appears to have its origins in their 1/48 kit although the sprues are not identical.

It has several advantages over the current Hasagawa standard, among them being:

Single piece canopy

Open speed brakes adding a dash of color to the underside.

Engraved cockpit adding more detail then decals.

Single piece tail fin which will preserve the pitot tubes.

Better positive locators for the tail stabs. That single little pin on the Hasagawa kit was a real weak point.

The fuselage is not in the pictures but if it eliminates the join just aft of the Hasagawa kit it's a plus.

Pity they didn't droop the flaps but neither did Hasagawa.

• Like 1

Not sure the single-piece canopy can be considered an advantage. They should have also included the option to display it in the open position. :shrug:

What I am more concerned about is that the inner wing pylons are part of a major sprue, which leads me to believe they are not even considering a USAF F-4C/D version. Hope I'm wrong and perhaps they will later include a new sprue with new inner pylons, main wheels, exhausts, horizontal tails and nose bulges for USAF machines.

One picture of the undersides shows they screwed up the wheel wells by adding some grossly oversized door attachment points. Not happy at all with that either!

Hope the C/D/E USAF versions are released in the future, as those are the versions I'm most interested in. Way too many NAVY-oriented stuff regarding the F-4 as of late in my opinion.

Best regards,

Jorge.

Hope the C/D/E USAF versions are released in the future ....

My observations mirror all of yours, Jorge.

I have complete faith that Academy won't pass the financial opportunity to expand the line.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

On a sad note, Randy "Duke"Cunningham, one of the crew members of Showtime 100 , later became a US Congressman and went to jail for corruption. Kind of takes the luster of the scheme for me.

• Like 2

I guess this is more of a 'proper' kit than a 'snap tite', I think EZ build suits it well, like the Fujimi F-35. Great looking kit and undoubtedly it will be more available and affordable than the Hasegawa kits...

Looks good, but Showtime 100 again!

Hehe, at least there's no sign of VF-84, thank goodness... :shutup:. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the 'Phamily' as it may very well tempt Caracal to downscale their ANG sheets, etc. Would love to do one of those odd looking Aggressor style Air Defence schemes. :wub:

• 2 months later...

Well, it *IS* a snap kit, but more in vein with Zvezda's Fw-190 in 1/72 than the old clunky snap-tites I remember from my childhood (a kid of the '80's ;) )

If it is quality vise equal to Zvezda (or possibly a leg up and equal to bandai), I'll be getting it :D

• 3 weeks later...

The surface detail looks good, but the close-up on the landing gears looks... soft.

I like what I see, though, so I hope they'll bring it under the Hasegawa price point... :)

Thanks. Were you able to pick up any clues as to availability? Where do you think it will show up first for purchase???? Only thing I've seen is your link to HobbyEasy - 9 June.

I couldn't get a translation except by using this site (sorry I can't link the translated page). Here's an example of the translation:

QUOTE The mileage plan the attempt which A 00 it $R-will make lightly it will be convenient and well! UNQUOTE w00t.gif/>/>

Too bad, as the linked article appears to do comparisons between the 1/72 kit and its 1/48 sibling - would be interesting!

Since the Hasegawa 1/72 Phantoms is my favorite range, I have many, many spare parts to play with (noses, tops of vertical stabs, pylons, etc) as well as AM such as nozzles and interiors. So, shouldn't be too much of challenge to get any Phantom version using the Academy J as a basis ... while waiting for the next Academy version(s).

Gene K

Assuming this is as good as their 1/48 example and looking at the kit break down I would say that within 18 months we'll see the B/C/D and possibly even the S/N.

A C/D boxing is a must now though given the price that Hasegawa C and D kits go for nowadays!

Rich

• Like 1

Those instructions show what looks like a fantastic kit ! Full length intakes and exhausts, detailed cockpit, open auxiliary intakes, open airbrakes... really a lot of details !

I also noticed parts in the sprues that hint at a future F-4N, so I'd expect we'll see a thin wing box at some point.

My only concern is that the simplified approach may affect the details of some parts, like the landing gear legs, but apart from this I'd say there's a kit that I'm really looking forward to !