1-35th SKP Cromwell MK VI CS

MADMUSKY

Hi Folks

Here is my entry for the GB, SKP Cromwell MKVI CS, with Aber etch and Panzer Art sandbang armour. Never built a SKP model before so should be fun, apart from the hull being made up from seperate parts its Tamiya clone like. Going to upgrade parts where required with the Aber etch and the sandbag armour is give a little difference.

WP_20150128_001_zps1977935f.jpg

Mmmm yellow/sand sprues, some nice touches with some parts in resin and lenses for the lights plus wire tow cable. Going to do the 5th Royal Tank Regiment, 22nd Armoured Brigade, Holland, Jan 1945.

Having stalled big time on my Lightning GB build getting back to armour building might get my mojo back.

Darren

• Like 2

I've just been building Airfix's 1/76 Cromwell, which was very well detailed, so I will be interested to see this larger version. It'll also be good to see this alongside Doug's Tamiya version.

Hi Folks

On holiday for next couple of days so thought id better get started on this, firstly obligatory sprue shots,

WP_20150205_001_zps0c8d2548.jpg

WP_20150205_002_zpsc965cee5.jpg

Strange thing theres no part numbers on the sprues so the instructions with the parts layout become important.

WP_20150205_003_zps1e896faa.jpg

Some bad moulding flaws throughout.

WP_20150205_006_zpsdaec7110.jpg

And some large plugs over most parts, the bottom one has been cleaned up.

WP_20150205_007_zps2a69396a.jpg

The basic hull made up, this required a lot of dry fitting as there is a few issues.

WP_20150205_008_zpsf1af13de.jpg

The seperate fenders and hull top added, beginning to get there, Panzer Art sandbag armour has just been placed on to see what it will look like.

WP_20150205_009_zps2adc4b0a.jpg

Some small details being added to the rear, kit resin smoke generators or use the Aber etch ones on the right, there is a big difference in size between the two. Im not going to use a lot of the Aber etch on this kit (going to keep it for my Tamiya Cromwell build).

WP_20150205_010_zps37cefd4d.jpg

Thats all for now, cheers for looking.

Darren

• Like 1

That's a good start on what looks to be a good kit - shame about those moulding flaws - but they"ll look fine after tidying up. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

• Like 1

Most SKP kits come with a plethora of pieces to construct the hull. Moulding limitations at the factory I suspect. How do the details compare to the Tamiya kit?

W

Detail is a little soft in places and non existent in others, the biggest bug bear is no locating tabs for any parts. Tamiya wins all round.

Darren

Hi Folks

Another update, Panzer Art sand bag armour added small etch and resin pieces fitted to the front also added Archer resin rivets to the fender support arms. The basis of the turret has been made, yet again some large plugs to be removed and some fitting issues.

WP_20150206_001_zps2bc55e67.jpg

WP_20150206_002_zps808442c9.jpg

decided to go with the Aber smoke generators on the rear.

WP_20150206_003_zps39624636.jpg

WP_20150206_004_zps32b94579.jpg

Still not sure if im going to leave the hatches open and add Miniart winter crew in pixie suits, not that good at doing figures.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 2

Another update

Built up the etch turret stowage boxes, and added Plus model 1.1mm bolt heads for where they mount the turret.

WP_20150209_001_zps7ede501c.jpg

WP_20150209_002_zps65440c2b.jpg

replaced the kit resin aerial bases with RB Models, and added the search light and wiring, also used the kit resin sighting vane as the carpet monster ate mine.

WP_20150209_003_zpse9ce32b2.jpg

Turret almost finished, not added the hatches just yet, im waiting on the postie delivering Miniart tank crew, the Besa MGs added these are cut down by 2mm as they are too long.

WP_20150209_009_zps9b3333f2.jpg

WP_20150209_0101_zpsa2b8bd24.jpg

Etch tool brackets to be added, Normandy cowl to be added going to leave this of as it will make painting a bit easier, wheels then the individual track links to be made up not too far from completion. Cheers for looking

Darren

• Like 2

now that is nice - and yes love the sandbag armour... tempted for my birthday kit (either M5A1 or M10) to get sandbag and stowage - maybe Black Dog or some other... will have to see... for my A13 MkII I will add stowage and a tarp (tarp handmade) - thinking boxes round the outside, junk on the inside to "bulk" it up....

• Like 1

Still not sure if im going to leave the hatches open and add Miniart winter crew in pixie suits, not that good at doing figures.

Practice makes perfect fella, the more that you do the better they become.

The build is coming on well, might have a look at getting one of these myself

Dan

• Like 1

A small update

Panzer Art fire extinguishers fitted, etch tool brackets fitted except for the spade, ping another for the carpet monster....

WP_20150219_001_zpsf8fc8b0b.jpg

A little bare this side might add some stowage, need to see what i have.

WP_20150219_002_zps32002b88.jpg

Started on the figures have chopped a few to make them fit into the driver and gunners hatches still require a lot of work to make them look natural. The commander will not fit into the hatch without trimming down the waist area, will be the first time doing figure work so will be interesting.

WP_20150219_003_zps985d8131.jpg

Got to clean up the road wheels, got some nasty plug marks on them all where they join together, then the individual tracks needing assembled.

WP_20150219_006_zps415099fc.jpg

still quite a bit to do

Darren

• Like 2

Looking good Darren. I like all the added details. Shame about the plugs on the back of the wheels - they're going to take some work but at least those areas won't be seen when it's all together.

Managed to give it a coat of primer over the weekend, took the wife to work sunday afternoon so grabbed the wheels and the box lid and cleaned them up followed by roughening up whilst watching the Liverpool game......Bouns. Then i looked and looked looked at the tracks aaaaargh.... small individual tracks, not long finished a set of A13 tracks,

WP_20150223_001_zps450eaa31.jpg

Remembered i had Hobbyboss indivdual links with another project, so would check them out compared to the SKP tracks.

WP_20150223_003_zps841b4d04.jpg

The difference between the tracks, well nothing really only the part number is missing from the SKP tracks, the rest is identical right down to a serial no and plug marks.

WP_20150223_006_zpsa3697d37.jpg

not that it matters.......... still got to build the Damn things.

Darren

• Like 3

Good to see more progress. I've got have a go at making my first tracks at some point! - always used the rubber bands up until my current 1/48 Skybow Tiger. Not sure I'm looking forward to it.............:-(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

Sorry it been a while since last update, tracks cut off and cleaned up and put together.

5mm Tamiya masking tape rolled out and turned upside down and taped in place, then the tracks (all 120 per side) joined together using the tape to hold in place. Once in place a few passes with liquid cement, left to harden for 15 minutes then added to the hull, instructions say 120 links per side but i had to remove 4 as the tracks were to long.

WP_20150321_001_zps8ya8saya.jpg

the completed left side, the join is on the bottom and needs to be connected later,going by photos i think i've got the right amount of sag

WP_20150321_002_zpsnznnui7p.jpg

right side

WP_20150322_002_zpsbwlipazd.jpg

About 4hrs total time taken to assemble the tracks.

The downside is that i'm moving house again at the end of April, 3rd house in just over a year. Needed to be done as the black mould growing in this house is unreal with constant damp which is starting to get to my stash. So want to get this finished before i have to pack up all my modelling gear.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 3