Dornier Do-17z Airfix

Stu

Here’s my stab at Airfix’s Do-17z. Anyone doing one would be well advised to look at Alan Price’s build in Airfix mag. There’s an issue with getting certain cockpit parts to fit if you follow the instructions and he’s approached the engine install in a different way. I did things differently and a lot less elegantly, he did some modelling, mine were bodges pure and simple. Additionally I’d look very carefully at the ventral gun and how your expected to install from the top of the cockpit after the ventral glazing has been fitted, quite how you’re supposed to do that…… I had to enlarge all the gum apertures to get them to fit. On the subject of guns Mr Prices build has them missing when he installs the cockpit canopy but they’re there on the completed model though the windscreen gun looks a bit wafty in one shot. Pity he didn’t explain what he did.

It’s a good kit with a well detailed cockpit that it’s best to take more time over than I did installing. Glazing is good though the framing on the sides of the canopy is a bit vague. One thing I can’t fathom is that there is detail behind the engine that’s blanked off by the wheel well forward bulkhead when it’s all put together so, zoukei mura style, totally hidden, odd. A kit the experts will make look a million dollars, my own view is that it might be a bit over engineered.

Stu

PS apologies for the rubbish shots

Do-17%20A_zpsqj8vpszx.jpg

Do-17%20B_zpsscass0wl.jpg

• Like 41

That's looking rather nice Stu.

Airfix really need to use the KISS ( keep it simple stupid) method on some of their constuctions.

looks like the next club night will have some good stuff on the table.

Dick

Thank you to everyone who's commented or hit the like button.

BerndM, I am a bit surprised mine is the first, assume they're taking their time and doing a quality job.

Tried a few more shots, they might be a bit better.

Do-17%20E_zpsw669ia8t.jpg

Do-17%20C_zpsjubqa1kk.jpg

Do-17%20D_zpsgtmkcu5u.jpg

There's some touching up I need to do and will do the aerial wire black as it's a bit too obvious.

Thanks

Stu

• Like 9

Nice result there! I must admit that my first reaction on opening my kit was that the level of detail would not look out of place in a larger scale, I wonder..................

Martin

Nice result there! I must admit that my first reaction on opening my kit was that the level of detail would not look out of place in a larger scale, I wonder..................

Interesting comment Martin. Prior to this I'd been trying to wrangle Revell's 72nd Ju-88 into some sort of shape. Gather that model is a scaledown of their 32nd one. The similarities with the interior detail on both are plain.

There you go Airfix, over to you.........

Thanks to all who have commented/liked.

Stu

That looks fantastic. I had the Revell Dornier in 1:72 and it didn't turn out well - am hoping for better results with the ICM one in 1:48, which your post has inspired me to make a start on. Thanks for sharing!

Other than the cockpit issues you mentioned, I assume the fit of the kit is very good

Apart from taking your time with the engines largely yes, no filler needed and I used the kit decals which worked well though the swastikas came out the spares box. My one bright (!) idea was regarding canopy masking. I doubt Airfix will go down the Eduard road and include it but a template on the instruction sheet could be useful, just a thought.

Thanks again to all who have commented/liked. Now I’ve had a chance to live with it for a bit I’m now rather more positive about the outcome.

Picture_zpsjash6u09.jpg

I did build it for a reason other than I like the aircraft. The gent in the picture is my dad who sadly died last year. In 1940 he was a young railway fireman at Weymouth. He remembers watching the sinking of the Foylebank, described in one word – horrible. Anyhow the Portland branch is one of the routes he worked on and in autumn 1940 he was firing a goods train over to Portland when the air raid siren went off. In the early days of the war the procedure was for all trains to stop. As they were in a somewhat exposed bit of track his driver, a one legged WW1 veteran known as “ ‘ave it off” Watkins said stuff this for a game of soldiers (or at least something to that effect!) and they stormed back up the line to the relative safety of a cutting near Rodwell at an impressive 15 mph. When the all clear sounded they got permission to proceed and off they went toward Portland. Half way across the causeway they noticed a plane flying fast and low across Portland harbour and the AA starting up. Looking around and back down the train he saw another coming straight for them. A “Flying Pencil” came down the length of the train and to their surprise never fired a shot, keen to get home he reckoned. He did catch a brief glimpse of the ventral gunner and evidently gave him the vees up. It was only later they remembered that 6 wagons were loaded with ammo for the naval base.

I’ll do an He111 when it comes out but that’s another story.

Stu

• Like 8

great story, talking to my mum who is 88, she recalls the noise of the German bombers going over head, when she lived in Shepherds Bush, and remembers the distinct droning noise which was completely different to our bombers, similar to hummm.........hummmm......hummmm, if you know what I mean

Really nice build, I've literally just bought one of these, I will try to apply some of the tips you've mentioned in building it and hopefully don't get caught out!

I look forward to seeing your He-111 when you get one!

Rich