Mistercraft Kits- Polish Company- Whose Moulds Do They Use?

tonyot

I just picked up a couple of Mig-19s off of eBay...yes...very inexpensive. I think the postage from Poland to Greece is more than the kits cost.  I'll give a run down and add some images when they arrive.  

• 1 year later...

Personally I think their kits are fantastic, having built their Su-20, Su-7, Su-17M3 and I had no issues at all, I think mistercraft has a bad rep due to a poor starting. But the kits are in my opinion excellent.

26 minutes ago, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

Personally I think their kits are fantastic, having built their Su-20, Su-7, Su-17M3 and I had no issues at all, I think mistercraft has a bad rep due to a poor starting. But the kits are in my opinion excellent.

That’s good to hear, kits I’ve an interest in :) though there are others like the mig19, yak3, and bf109f I’m interested in 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

13 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

That’s good to hear, kits I’ve an interest in :) though there are others like the mig19, yak3, and bf109f I’m interested in 

The mig 19 is the old KP kit 

On 8/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

The mig 19 is the old KP kit 

Frankly speaking Master-/Mistercraft MiG-19 is a revamped/rescribed KP kit.

Some details are better, some are worse, but no part is identical.

Only the decals are horrible in both :)

Here you have the inbox comparison - unfortunately not in English, but it's the pictures that say.

http://www.hrcappuccino.org/articles/recenzije/MIG-19.htm

Cheers

Michael

On 8/4/2018 at 10:48 PM, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

1/48 or 1/72 ? The 1/48 Su-17s are originally from KP and while far from today's state of the art they are decent kits.

Their 1/72 kits however are very crude, with heavy panel lines and little to no detail. I appreciate you enjoied them and this is in the end all that matters. Personally though I struggle to put the words excellent and Mistercraft in the same sentence 😁

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Michael.  It seems I have the KoPro box and the parts from the other box.  There is no raised detail on my plastic and the wheels are the same as the other as well.  As for the decals, my Russian stars and Polish checks are on a separate sheet and look much better than the very poorly registered German/Hungarian/Czech markings.  Very interesting!

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

decent kit

Yes...that sums it up.  1/72nd, btw...

Edited by John D.C. Masters

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

Frankly speaking Master-/Mistercraft MiG-19 is a revamped/rescribed KP kit.

Some details are better, some are worse, but no part is identical.

Only the decals are horrible in both :)

Here you have the inbox comparison - unfortunately not in English, but it's the pictures that say.

http://www.hrcappuccino.org/articles/recenzije/MIG-19.htm

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for that info - I wasn't aware that ZTS had issued so many "improved" kits... and that the MiG-19 was one of them. So in effect Maistercraft has access both to original KP moulds and their Polish cousins ? Besides the plethora of other brands including Smer and all the short-lived stuff Smer inhaled like KS/Vista, OEZ and Antares... and PWS (I think, P.7 ?) plus Ruch. Bewildering !

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

1/48 or 1/72 ? The 1/48 Su-17s are originally from KP and while far from today's state of the art they are decent kits.

Their 1/72 kits however are very crude, with heavy panel lines and little to no detail. I appreciate you enjoied them and this is in the end all that matters. Personally though I struggle to put the words excellent and Mistercraft in the same sentence 😁

The 1/72 Kits, which are old Pamtera moulds. And I guess it's just opinion as to the word excellent with accordance to the kits ;) 

I've just seen a 1:72 Gloster Javelin kit on t'web that is reproduced by Mistercraft.  Anyone know the lineage of this mould?   I do like the Javelin in all scales and am quite interested in getting this, mainly as it is affordable.

Mike

8 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I've just seen a 1:72 Gloster Javelin kit on t'web that is reproduced by Mistercraft.  Anyone know the lineage of this mould?   I do like the Javelin in all scales and am quite interested in getting this, mainly as it is affordable.

Mike

ScaleMates is your friend if you want to track a kits' family tree:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/974744-mistercraft-d-26-gloster-javelin-faw-mk-7

Thank you John.  I wonder if my model building has improved since the last time I bought one of these, about 1975? :shrug:  I cannot remember when I last built a 1:72 kit.

Mike

It's not actually from the Frog mould, though it's certainly based on Frog's Mk 9. The kit currently being marketed by Mistercraft has engraved panel lines and the rear end of the fuselage is different, in an attempt at the Mk 7 configuration, though unfortunately it's much too narrow in plan view. From memory, though, it copies Frog's anorexic single-piece fin and rudder. The Hunter (like the Javelin, ex-Plastyk) is also sometimes said to be a re-pop of Frog's FGA 9  but it's a similar story there. It doesn't reproduce Frog's swollen centre fuselage but it adds a new fault of its own: the whole rear end of the fuselage is way undersize, even if it was supposed to represent one of the earlier marks with a smaller diameter jet pipe.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

Accuracy isn't the sole criteria to judge a kit on. Buildability and price also have their place.

Since Mister/Master Kits appear to be thriving they must be doing something right.

Since buildability isn't one of their strong points,  it must be price 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry to awaken this old thread, but I'd like to know how good Mistercraft decals are (sticking/not sticking issues, if they're thick etc...). I found the Tempest V (Heller mould) with markings for Clostermann's aircraft.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:18 AM, 3DStewart said:

Accuracy isn't the sole criteria to judge a kit on. Buildability and price also have their place.

To paraphrase an old business-world saying, "Accurate, buildable, or cheap - pick any two".

23 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Sorry to awaken this old thread, but I'd like to know how good Mistercraft decals are (sticking/not sticking issues, if they're thick etc...). I found the Tempest V (Heller mould) with markings for Clostermann's aircraft.

I have a couple of Mastercraft kits - Yak-1 and Yak-1b - so I did a quick check:

Positives - excellent print detail and registration; very thin film; seem to stick well; good colours and opacity

Negatives - brittle - tend to break up when moving them off the backing paper or relocating them on the model. One or two coats of Microscale Liquid Decal Film or similar is recommended

I'd say go ahead with the Tempest, but get yourself a bottle of something to reinforce the decals. Maybe also a bottle of something to steady your hands...

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Thanks 1