1:72 Academy P-47 Bubble Top Thunderbolt

Winenut

Howdy Britmodellers.

I took a breather after an Airfix Stuka and also took some time out for holidays with the family.

Having got my mind body and soul back in order I decided it was time to get into a new "easy" build with a friendly canopy!

So without too much fanfare I'll launch into what will be a simple and hopefully quick OOB Jug to add to the cabinet of glory and get me up and running in 2015.

Box art..

10945775_394957180666079_580282327382027

Massively cool and brand new 100Watt lamp that combined with my new glasses means I can actually see what I'm doing again!

10941917_394958893999241_339592597907046

Anyone who noticed the daughters pink paint and LPS kitten at 10 o'clock from the kit give yourself an extra point :winkgrin:

Suddenly when the airbrush comes into play with the LPS "Customs" my modelling addiction becomes really "cool" to my entrepreneurial daughter :bounce:

Here's the sprues and decals

10420758_394959407332523_181204838867088

A few painted bits

10428634_394961957332268_138051512660926

Bit of a wheel

1779922_394961443998986_6626502676170908

Forgot to take decent photos on the cockpit assembly before buttoning up so here's the fast forward shots!

10945760_394961150665682_856222089812538

10378130_394961157332348_565249531760233

10422302_394961373998993_558758775653747

10947329_394961353998995_124681402177550

10924717_394961263999004_690697838989909

and this is sort of where it's at for now

1510871_394962133998917_2381192976173859

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 4

I have a friend who would chew my leg off if she knew these existed and I didn't build her one lol Best not we tell her lol

Solid kit the Academy P-47 and a quick build too so you will have it painted and decalled in no time. You could drill out the gun barrels for some realism if you can get a small set of drill bits. The bubble canopy portion is easy to mask with thin strips of tamiya tape.

• Like 1

Nice start Bruce,I know they have mixed reviews but I love these Academy 1/72 series of kits,always a great fun build,decals can be hit or miss at times but generally

good,thinking of ordering their Stuka soon as I want to attempt some Luftwaffe builds this year.

• Like 1

micro

I have a friend who would chew my leg off if she knew these existed and I didn't build her one lol Best not we tell her lol

Solid kit the Academy P-47 and a quick build too so you will have it painted and decalled in no time. You could drill out the gun barrels for some realism if you can get a small set of drill bits. The bubble canopy portion is easy to mask with thin strips of tamiya tape.

Yeah it is a quick build and I looked at the barrels and thought I could drill those out! I've got the fine drill bits so might give it a go. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce

Nice start Bruce,I know they have mixed reviews but I love these Academy 1/72 series of kits,always a great fun build,decals can be hit or miss at times but generally

good,thinking of ordering their Stuka soon as I want to attempt some Luftwaffe builds this year.

Cheers Steve

I think the Academy kits carry good detail are nicely packaged and build well.

I'm looking at building a Catalina next project and there doesn't seem to be much better in 1:72 than the Academy version so I guess after my recent Airfix efforts I'm off to Korea!

Cheers

Bruce

I much prefer this kit to the Hasegawa one for use as a decal hanger, shame the Tamiya kit is so expensive!

Just a word of warning, the Bazooka rockets aren't appropriate with the marking options in the kit but it's up to you what you do with them!

thanks

Mike

Interesting Mike.

Would be more than happy to leave off the Bazooka thingy's .

Despite the fact that I drilled out the required holes thinking... they were........... required! :banghead::banghead:

See how I go I'm sure there's more than one twist in this build before it's in the cabinet of glory :coolio:

Cheers

Bruce

Good start Bruce. Nice to see someone else who keeps some stuff on the sprues until there's some paint on! The kit detail does look nice but I should imagine the checkered pattern decal will be 'interesting' to apply!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Big beastie, even in 1/72. I have a hankering to do one in RAF SEAC colours. Might grab one one for the stash.

Did a Hurribomber in SEAC livery a little while ago......gotta love the SEAC stuff.

I have an original Matchbox 1:32 Lysander which has an SEAC option that's really hard to look past!

Cheers

Bruce

Good start Bruce. Nice to see someone else who keeps some stuff on the sprues until there's some paint on! The kit detail does look nice but I should imagine the checkered pattern decal will be 'interesting' to apply!

Kind regards,

Stix

LOL absolutely!

I can see myself doing everything I can to make a nice aircraft and then turning those evil looking checkerboard things into a an absolute tangled mess!

Time will tell :thumbsup:

Cheers!

• Like 1

Interesting Mike.

Would be more than happy to leave off the Bazooka thingy's .

Despite the fact that I drilled our the required holes thinking... they were........... required! :banghead::banghead:

See how I go I'm sure there's more than one twist in this build before it's in the cabinet of glory :coolio:

Cheers

Bruce

No worries, the Bazooka rockets were not actually used by Thunderbolts as much as you might expect. The 56th FG, for example fired less than 60 rockets in all their many combat missions! There was a couple of squadrons in Italy which found them more useful than bombs in the mountain regions. If you wanted something under the wings, a pair of 500lb bombs or drop tanks would be more appropriate but as with any model, it's always up to the builder!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Bruce, I have just completed this kit and enjoyed it, BUT, I messed up the chequered decal on the nose and had to get a new one . If you do use the kit decal, then you *might* get away with making small scissor cuts between the chequers to help make the decal conform around the front of the cowling.

Edited by markg
  • Like 1

I always wondered about this kit, but having the Revell AG and Hasegawa kits on hand I didn't ever find myself lusting after one like I usually do. :)

Nice work so far and I will check back into to see how you are getting on with it.

• Like 1

Nice work.

I quite like the Academy P-47 although it's not as nice as the Tamiya one but costs half the price.

There was a discussion on here about the undercarriage legs being too long. A quick Google search will find it, if you can be bothered.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Winenut back in action, and in fast forward mode, too! :yahoo: Too bad it's a bubble canopy, but we'll bear with that, LOL.

Great progress so far, anyway, and fit looks really good.

Chocks away, Bruce!

Ciao

• Like 1

Bruce, I have just completed this kit and enjoyed it, BUT, I messed up the chequered decal on the nose and had to get a new one . If you do use the kit decal, then you *might* get away with making small scissor cuts between the chequers to help make the decal conform around the front of the cowling.

That sounds like a top tip...much appreciated!

I always wondered about this kit, but having the Revell AG and Hasegawa kits on hand I didn't ever find myself lusting after one like I usually do. :)

Nice work so far and I will check back into to see how you are getting on with it.

Sounds like you've got enough Jugs there to keep you busy!

Nice work.

I quite like the Academy P-47 although it's not as nice as the Tamiya one but costs half the price.

There was a discussion on here about the undercarriage legs being too long. A quick Google search will find it, if you can be bothered.

Yeah I believe you have to take about 2mm off the legs....not quite sure how to do that but will definitely be looking into it to get her sitting right!

Oh yeah, Winenut back in action, and in fast forward mode, too! :yahoo: Too bad it's a bubble canopy, but we'll bear with that, LOL.

Great progress so far, anyway, and fit looks really good.

Chocks away, Bruce!

Ciao

Thanks heaps! Yes in fast forward mode this time

• Like 1

Nice start Bruce. It is a lovely kit to build, I enjoyed mine so much

I went and got another one straight away. Beware the decals, they are

not great, I didn't even chance using them, so built mine as a Brazilian

P-47,

Sean

• Like 1

You're literally flying with this build.

Well done!

God save the whales ( that is how I like to refer to the Jugs, they are just massive planes)!

I'll be following your build, since I've built one last year, just give me a call if you need help/advice! :)

PS: There will be a SAPMA meeting next week, are you keen to go? I'm in!

• Like 1

You're literally flying with this build.

Well done!

God save the whales ( that is how I like to refer to the Jugs, they are just massive planes)!

I'll be following your build, since I've built one last year, just give me a call if you need help/advice! :)

PS: There will be a SAPMA meeting next week, are you keen to go? I'm in!

Good one Paulo.

I'm back in town and first day back at work today......I wish I was still on holidays. :weep:

Will give you a call soon might try for Friday to see how you are and maybe advice on fixing those incorrect long legs legs!

Might try for Sapma next week good idea....I have to go one day!!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Good one Paulo.

I'm back in town and first day back at work today......I wish I was still on holidays. :weep:

Will give you a call soon might try for Friday to see how you are and maybe advice on fixing those incorrect long legs legs!

Might try for Sapma next week good idea....I have to go one day!!

Cheers

Bruce

Done!

Speak to you on Friday (call me after 2pm if possible). Ill convince you to come to the meeting, you will enjoy.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy kindred spirits!

Been off doing other things but got a bit done today.

Earlier in the week went to the SAPMA meet (thanks Paulo for encouraging me to go!)

Great modelling association in South Australia and on top of that the bar at the Glenelg Lacrosse Club was open for the meeting so hey!...what could be better than that!

Back on topic I'm just sort of getting ready to do some pre-shading.

So....

Masked some stuff for puttying......I hate putty and sanding ...vulgar and awful activity it is..

10950661_399634153531715_138961098592137

Bit of stuff on the underside.

10426205_399634056865058_449597779995808

This looks like rubbish doesn't it!?

1610875_399634246865039_6675089537101955

Anyway moving along she looks like this

10959852_399634166865047_277188383964897

Other photos aren't uploading from my stupid phone! Oh well....quick post!

1512410_399634193531711_8017125467188611

While that was happening I drilled out the guns....

10387546_399634063531724_500522681834012

Buggered one on the other side and ended up replacing it with brass rod...best I can do..

10492439_399633690198428_678931876770964

Now I forgot to mention that my mate Paulo performed a weird and intricate surgery on the "long" legs of this P-47 at the SAPMA meet to make sure the finished kit sits squat and just right.

Thanks heaps Paulo.....best trade I ever made for a couple of eggs of silly putty! LOL :thumbsup:

Douglas Bader eat your heart out...

10509542_399634053531725_309184648987626

The picture doesn't tell the story!

There's cuts and bits taken out and drilled out bits plus joins made with stretched sprue plus weird angles to get right and gluing and there's no chance I would have got it right!.

My solution (knowing the legs were a bit long) was "cut off the top of the legs and stuff it back in the wheel well hole thing"

Thank goodness there are those among us with class, insight and skill!

That's about it for now.

I'm keen to get onto some pre-shading ...might even do a primer first to pick up on any major flaws.....

Wow...how nerdy am I getting with this modelling stuff now

Cheers!

• Like 6

Douglas Bader eat your heart out...

Thank goodness there are those among us with class, insight and skill!

I definitely got coffee on myself.

I like what you did with those gun barrels, it certainly takes skill and patience, and maybe even a touch of "special". If you buggered 12.5% of the total job then I'd say that's not too bad.

It looks like the seams on this kit aren't too bad, so hopefully you won't have to go back and refill/sand/repeat.

• Like 1