Spitfire Mk.1 K9955, 602 "City of Glasgow" Squadron, 21 March 1940

06/24

Thanks chaps. It's certainly starting to come together. Mostly today I have been tidying up the paint, particularly underneath. I've also made a start on the next project, but more on that later.

15905700514_c4d5ae4c19_b.jpgTidied up and gloss coated by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I will try and do the decals underneath tonight once the gloss coat has dried (and assuming I don't get stuck into the beer whilst watching the rugby) (on delay, wife out playing hockey, no spoilers please folks...)

I know the removable panels on the canopy don't feature on the Airfix rendition. Has anyone tried to rectify this? A piece of acetate cut to shape and stuck on with clear seems like a possibility, although I wonder if it's worth the effort. I may try on a scrap canopy and seem what the effect looks like.

Perhaps a bit late but i just had an idea... perhaps you could try to use clear celophane tape. Stick it tot a clean surface and cut out the panel. And than stick it to the canopy...

Haven't tried this as i used pavlas vacformed canopy, but its somethig you might test on a spare canopy and ir xan always be peeled Off if something looks odd

Edited by lunarhighway
  • Like 1

Readers of my AVG Hawk thread will know the canopy on that build has been a disaster, so it was a very nervous moment when I started to remove the masking on the Spitfire. I wasn't very impressed with the Montex mask I had used as it hadn't fitted very well and I had bolstered it with tape. My misgivings were well founded, once the mask was removed it was clear that the jointed nature of the Montex mask had allowed the finishing coats to leach through. Maybe I used them wrong, but it was disappointing.

16603414605_1f99a17d33_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Out came the cocktail sticks for clean up. Fortunately it wasn't as bad as the Hawk and whilst it's not as glassy as I would have liked, it's acceptable, if no more.

The exhausts need weathered and the wheels need finished, (and the prop needs a flat coat) but it's very nearly done.

16577436466_8e0ccb8e34_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

My wee boy and I went for a wander in South Queensferry this afternoon and ended up in the tiny town museum which currently has an exhibit all about the first raid over the Forth, in which the Spits for 603 and 602 took on the Luftwaffe's Ju88s.

Out of 12 raiders, two were shot down over the river, whilst a third was sufficiently badly damaged that it crash landed in Holland, with no survivors. It was a tiny taste of the battles to come.

Thank you. Disappointed though I am with the canopy, I'm rather pleased with how the exhausts have turned out - Revell steel acrylic, with a wash of anthracite, followed up with Humbrol dark earth powder. Hopefully you'll agree.

16397537647_b7d59d59da_b.jpgExhausts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I think it was Stew who put me onto Anthracite, and it may well become my go to for an almost black tone, tyres, etc, and as look would have it, it's an almost perfect match for the Tamiya NATO black used underneath, so I was able to touch in the pitot, and the undercarriage door.

• Like 2

Just spent a pleasant few minutes getting caught up with this one Jon. I really like your rendition of this kit: the 'blinkers' and seatbelt details, as well as the look of the Revell Dark Earth. Very nice.

Kind words, thank you. I'm fast becoming a big fan of the Revell acrylic paints, I've used them on a couple of builds now and they're easy and consistent to use. As I don't have a dedicated workspace, anything which is family friendly helps, so enamels are only usable in exceptional circumstances. I have to ration spraying primer and so on too, so the acrylics make my modelling much more acceptable.

I also find it wryly amusing that my last two Allied builds have been finished in German paint, whilst my nacent Bf109 build relies on British Humbrols...

• Like 1

I note that, for the second time, I have jumped the gun on RFI. I forgot the yellow prop tips (easily rectified but why do I have a blind spot for these?). The prop could do with some silver pencil paint chips too. I didn't bother with the rudder actuator in the end, although I expect I will on any future build.