Spitfire Mk.1 K9955, 602 "City of Glasgow" Squadron, 21 March 1940

06/24

Looking good Jon.

The angle brackets appear to in line of sight between the cockpit and exhausts so I wouldn't be surprised if they were installed to block (or at least suppress) the glare, maybe a modification being tested? If so, it appears it wasn't successful or we would have seen it on more aircraft.

Cheers,

Billy

• Like 2

Yes, it does look like they were related to hiding exhaust glare. Today's progress however was confined to the under side:

16223837850_0613293973_b.jpgTamiya NATO Black by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16223598688_2f9f6c097c_b.jpgReady to unwrap by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16409473521_4466620242_b.jpgSome reaction with previous paint by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Edited, as ever, due to stupid autocorrect.

Edited by 06/24
  • Like 1

All in all, the black white demarcation went much, much better than I hoped or expected. Yes, the Tamiya paint has reacted with whatever paint (possibly Humbrol enamel) I had used in the wheel wells when the build was originally started, but I'm sure I can clean that up.

16224300200_1a6584062d_b.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Very tidy job Jon; I had heard of Tamiya paints reacting badly when applied over enamels, but I'd never actually seen it. Hope you get that tidied up without too much difficulty as in all other respects it is coming along really nicely :coolio:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Humbrol and Tamiya are mortal enemies. I learned that about 8 years ago when I was spraying enamels, around the time I first got my airbrush. That's a pity it curdled like that. I'd stick to one or the other or seal them in with a coat of Future floor polish.

• Like 2

Looking good Jon.

The angle brackets appear to in line of sight between the cockpit and exhausts so I wouldn't be surprised if they were installed to block (or at least suppress) the glare, maybe a modification being tested? If so, it appears it wasn't successful or we would have seen it on more aircraft.

Cheers,

Billy

I'm pretty sure that the 'blinkers' were fitted to Spitfires (possibly Hurricanes too) used for nightfightng - the glare from the exhausts otherwise interfered with the pilot's night vision. The Defiant was used as a nightfighter but I can't think of any photos of one fitted with the shields. The configuration exhasts / cockpit might have made them unnecessary. Not many single seat / engine fighters were used for nightfighting - Blenheims, then Beaufighters and ultimately Mosquitos took on the nightfighter role. Yes, I know, the Defiant wasn't a single seater!

I cannot for the life of me recall where I read this.

Hope it helps a little

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the 'blinkers' were fitted to Spitfires (possibly Hurricanes too) used for nightfightng - the glare from the exhausts otherwise interfered with the pilot's night vision. The Defiant was used as a nightfighter but I can't think of any photos of one fitted with the shields. The configuration exhasts / cockpit might have made them unnecessary. Not many single seat / engine fighters were used for nightfighting - Blenheims, then Beaufighters and ultimately Mosquitos took on the nightfighter role. Yes, I know, the Defiant wasn't a single seater!

I cannot for the life of me recall where I read this.

Hope it helps a little

I suppose as they where fitter to the fuel tank armoured plate wich could easily be removed and as far as i know whas identical on the mk I, II and V, so i suppose these parts where easily removed from written off planes, and kept as spares. so some of these might have found their way on more recent aircraft, such as the mkV. In any case it makes for a nice little deatail on the model!

The plan is to mask and fit the canopy, mask the undersides and prime the upper surfaces tonight, if time permits. I'm going to test out some Revell acrylic approximations of the RAF colours on the AVG Hawk, and if they work, will use them for this build.

Looks good Jon :)

Canopy mask sets are worth it for some kits, depending on the framing and how much you dislike masking... for something like a Spitfire I would say it was a luxury, for something like a Heinkel 111 more of a necessity (though of course not literally a necessity).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I have bought a set of masks for all the kits I have waiting to do and used one on my Spit. I would say they are worth the money as they genuinely make the builds go a lot smoother and with slightly less swearing (for me anyway, masking is not a task I relish so anything to make things easier is good in my book). If there was a mask set available for a kit then I would probably add one automatically to my basket whereas I would have to think about the merits of paying for other third party bits like PE or resin before parting with my cash. But, as with all things, your own mileage may vary.

I only used the canopy masks, I didn't see much point in the wheel masks that came with the set. The wheels were probably done in less time than it would've taken to apply the masks.

Your Spit is coming along nicely by the way Jon, did you sort out the bubbling on the underside? (I'm still fighting the urge to get another one ;))

Cheers,

Billy :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I must admit to one canopy related faux pas, in that I tried to emulate Tempestwulf's suggestion of trimming the rear of the canopy to enable it to fit better. It's a superb suggestion, but in an overly gung ho fashion I took a saw to the canopy. This shortened it by far too much, and I had to sand and polish the off cut to fit back into the resultant hole. I won't know what this repair looks like until the masking comes off.

Haven't addressed the bubbling yet. I suspect a fibreglass pencil will allow me to cut it back, and then a brush full or two of Tamiya or Revell should sort it out.

A slight diversion this morning. Although I haven't been able to find a 1940 photo of L1592 to prove it, I suspect it had the earlier pole type radio mast. It certainly does now, and the discovery of a photo of another of 615's Hurricanes after the attack on Kenley on 18 August showed it to still have the plain pole, although the aircraft in that image already had metal wings. So having measured up the kit pole in another of the stash, a replacement was created from 0.7mm brass rod. Fitted before the school run, paint and aeriel wire tonight.

16253888620_a3938657e2_b.jpgReplacement pole mast by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

I think you are right about the pole aerial mast, as you say it certainly has it now and I can't imagine they would have gone to the trouble of changing it back again if it had been fitted with the later type at some point. Nice job on that, by the way :)

Cheers,

Stew

Today's progress:

15849726324_928c24db1d_b.jpgFirst coat of dark green by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16470514291_4b75174b92_b.jpgSecond coat of green then a protective coat of Clear by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Having got the paint on and the masking off, there are some winners and losers.

16472252195_1523b22c41_b.jpgCanopy masks removed by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The canopy was a little scratched where I had removed the rear view mirror, which wasn't visible on McKellar's plane - and then cutting out the masking had left a few more marks, fortunately the Clear coat seems to have helped.

On the underside the masking had pulled off some of the damaged black paint on the port wing, easy enough to repair I think, and there was some leakage under the masking of the dark earth colour, I'll polish it back and then lay down some thin coats of off white with the brush.

• Like 1

I know the removable panels on the canopy don't feature on the Airfix rendition. Has anyone tried to rectify this? A piece of acetate cut to shape and stuck on with clear seems like a possibility, although I wonder if it's worth the effort. I may try on a scrap canopy and seem what the effect looks like.

I know the removable panels on the canopy don't feature on the Airfix rendition. Has anyone tried to rectify this? A piece of acetate cut to shape and stuck on with clear seems like a possibility, although I wonder if it's worth the effort. I may try on a scrap canopy and seem what the effect looks like.

I think the AZ Mk I/ II stencil decals have the clear vision panel, or at least it looks like it to me.

• Like 1

That's a very good way to do it.

No progress to report today, I've been under the weather and I'm up at the back of 4 tomorrow morning for a day in sunny Sussex so not much likely to happen tomorrow either.

I should have spent the evening cleaning up and touching up the underwing surfaces. However, with all the impatience of a ten year old with his Saturday morning kit, I have pressed on with the decals.

16326866349_7f88edba34_b.jpgStarboard side by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16325683950_0572175fb1_b.jpgPort side by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16326873679_2d5a0f842d_b.jpgScottish Lion by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Now I'm only new at these airplane things, but doing the stencils was, shall we say, trying? In the final shot you can see one of the 100 octane fuel markings. For scale, the blinkers on the tank top are 0.5mm L section. The decal is just tiny. They'll need a coat of clear once they've snuggled down firmly. The only ones I have any concerns about are the over wing roundels, which have to snuggle down over the outboard gun cover. The fuselage roundels wrinkled a lot under the decal sol, but have started to dry out nice and flat. I did break one of the squadron code letters, the decals are very thin!

• Like 6

Yup, those stencils sure are tiny. That's when I got payback for the amount I shelled out for an Optivisor. It feels a bit weird being able to read them clearly then when you flip the visor up you can hardly even see the decal never mind read it :)

I also found that the overwing decals needed a bit of gentle persuasion, even after a liberal dowsing with decalsoft. I applied some pressure by rolling a cotton bud over the decals and they conformed pretty good over the gun covers (this also worked well on the fuselage markings, it accentuated the panel lines quite well). After another quick splash of decalsoft they were left overnight to bed in properly. It was my first time using decal solution and I was very pleased with the results.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one done, she's coming along very nicely.

Cheers,

Billy :)

Edited by Eludia
  • Like 1

I don't have an Optivisor, but my work light has a magnifier in it, so that helps. I actually found that after the first couple I sort of "got my eye in" and it became easier after that, although the necessary concentration level meant it was hardly a relaxing session...

Whether or not I would do them all again is another question.