Airfix 1/72 P-40B Turkish

Probably shouldn't start this one yet since I'm not finished with my Bf-110 but I made the mistake of using Vallejo primer on it, there was some spatter and a couple blemishes, and I can't sand it for 48 hours ... so I'm going to do what I can on my P-40 instead.

I chose the Airfix 1/72 P-40B, which seems like a really nice kit so far. Very simple, not tons of detail, but so far decent (yet far from perfect) fit. I won't do box shots or sprues because everyone else in here already has. Instead I'll post shots of what I have done so far in barely an hour's time while running in and out of the house on errands, so you can see what a nice, quick build this really is. And shots of the decals.

UKLvnFm.jpg

edQ7cqS.jpg?1

ArPiip1.jpg

Haven't decided yet whether I want to do White 17 or AK992 yet. But it's gonna be one of those.

• Like 4

Thanks, Steve mate!

Got a bit more done tonight. This build feels really, really fast but I haven't started filling gaps yet, either.

Control stick snapped in half as I was cutting it off the sprue (was trying to use a #11 blade to avoid any trimming or sanding) but whatever ... I'll live. I haven't glued the fuselage halves together or onto the wings yet in case I get some wild inspiration tomorrow to fashion a new one, but the fuselage is getting glue tomorrow one way or another.

I had brush primed (Tamiya) and brush painted (Vallejo Model Air Interior Green) the fuselage halves and the cockpit but the Model Air is just too thin to brush on. I accept it now. Time to move on. So they were resprayed with Interior Green as was the cockpit base and instrument panel. I forgot to spray the seat until after I'd dismantled and cleaned my airbrush so it got a layer of Tamiya Olive Green with a flat brush (I really like Tamiya for brushing! A bit of thinner and it flows beautifully but still covers [unlike the VMA]). It doesn't match. It's not that accurate. But it's not gonna be that noticeable when the canopy goes on anyway. Detailed the fuselage panels a bit. Nothing crazy, but I decided I wanted to do a bit more than just spray them green, so there you go.

I'm just trying to get this knocked out to a decent standard, not win any awards. I'm still learning all the techniques again, too, so mistakes aren't getting me down. The more of these I build, the better I'm gonna get. And this seems like a great kit for that. Two sprues (plus canopy), and two pages of instructions. Since I've now got decals for five or six Turkish examples and the kit's included Flying Tigers decals, I'll definitely be doing more of these to hone my skill set.

2zUEbEr.jpg

lJJhREz.jpg

• Like 1

Promising start these airfix kits go together quick don't they

Yeah, it's kind of surprising me. I was going to glue it together last night so it could be "curing" overnight but I decided to wait, not get in a hurry, and maybe something will strike my fancy today as a replacement for that broken control stick. But not so far. Oh well, live and learn. Hoping to finish assembly today (minus fiddly bits like gear, those will get painted separately) and get it primed. I'm going back to Tamiya rattle can primer. The Vallejo just slows things down too far. Then it's just a matter of masking and picking colors, which can be a heck of a job in its own right. After the total mess I made of masking the Bf-110 canopy (which, fair play, was about the worst choice for my very first canopy masking job I could ever have chosen), I think this one will go much smoother. I'm going to use foil with Micro Scale Foil Adhesive and a #23 blade to do this one. If this technique doesn't suit me better than the nightmare I had with the 110 then I'm in a right pickle (because buying die-cut masks for everything is certainly not practical).

I've built one of these little gems recently and I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy it.

Here is what I've got: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967726-p40b-flying-tigers-airfix-172/

Good luck!

Wow! Yours is absolutely superb, I can't believe that's 1/72! Mine definitely won't end up looking like that, but now I've got something to aspire to. ;)

Cracking start caszerino, really like the Turkish scheme

Cheers, mate. Those Turkish rudders look nice, the camo didn't look too complex ... I think I could have a nice looking one of these done well inside a week if I focus and don't go to the pub! :D

I broke the control sick on my Airfix Lightning, but wasn't so worried about it since Airfix pilots have their hands in their laps anyway!

You're* only the second person on BM that I've noticed who can brush paint Tamiya. What do you thin it with?

Nice progress so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the Turkish scheme.

* edited the proper you're for your, it was bugging me.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

Your only the second person on BM that I've noticed who can brush paint Tamiya. What do you thin it with?

Nice progress so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the Turkish scheme.

Well, all I'm using is Tamiya's own X-20A acrylic thinner. By the smell of it it's mostly alcohol so I really don't think you'd go far wrong thinning it with plain alcohol. My "technique", if you even wanna call it that, is to dip the brush in thinner, dab it onto a paper towel to pull most of it off, then I just dip it into the Tamiya lid. I'm not even using a paint dish like I do with the Vallejo. I usually don't go back for subsequent thinner dips until I'm cleaning the brush, which I always do periodically, or after I finish a small "section". The Model Air is just way too thin to brush paint. I don't know about the regular Model Color because I've never used any of it. It might sound a bit silly, but I can tell if the paint needs more or less thinner by how it "feels" when it's going onto the model. Practice with it and you'll know exactly what I mean. There's a "sweet spot" where the paint is thinned just enough to flow beautifully (which I got used to by painting Warhammer 40K figures for so many years, mainly with Citadel Colour) but it also covers well.

Was that long-winded enough of an answer? :D

Afternoon's progress below. I'm really liking this kit, considering I started it, as in opened the box, 24 hours ago give or take a couple hours. I can't find the canopy right now but I know it's somewhere on the bench. A thorough tidying up is obviously in order since masking the canopy (trying the new method of adhesive foil and a #23 blade for this) is the next step before I can proceed any farther than gap-filling (done this afternoon) and sanding that down (doing later this afternoon or this evening).

I had an obscene amount of books, kits, tools, and decals (and finally the resin cockpit set for my Il-28) arrive today so I burnt up well over an hour faffing about with all the new loot. I should start thinking about rehab, this is getting ridiculous.

fi0nDCF.jpg

Underside, sanded a bit around the wheel wells. Those are getting masked off soon and the whole model blasted with Tamiya primer.

doLNVou.jpg

Not particularly fantastic wing root joins pre-filler, especially starboard.

HiKDacI.jpg

Post-filler (Mr. Surfacer 500). Gonna take a couple-three goes, but I still think I can finish filling and sanding by the end of the night. That's the goal, anyway!

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the Tamiya info. I think the Vallejo Model Air varies from paint to paint, from my very brief experience with them. The yellow is too thin to even airbrush, but the Neutral grey brushed fine for me. I'm about to try and brush US Dark green, I'll let you know how it goes.

Your* Tomahawk coming together nicely.

* managed to use 'your' properly this time.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

Ah yes! Been waiting for this one. As for brush painting with the Model Air, I've never had any issues doing so so I'm a little puzzled by the trouble you're having with it

I don't feel like I've had problems at all with it through the airbrush. I have problems with it as a brush-painted sort. It's just plain too thin. But that's its whole remit, no? Sprayed, no problems. Dripped out into my "Mr. Paint Tray"s (god I love the whole Mr. Hobby range), not so good.

How can anyone be upset when you call it "Mr. <insert hobby product>"? I love it. I have a pretty bad temper (why do I feel like this forum is a substitute for therapy?) but who can get mad at a bunch of products called Mr. Hobby? :D

Edited by caszerino
  • Like 1

Nice work good sir.

Enjoying the build of your Turkeyhawk.

Mr Hobby reminds me of Homer Simpsons likeness.....

Thank you, sir, and that was hilarious! :D

Somewhat dubious about buying one of these people seem to have problems with the wings. yours looks good though. Nice work

Given the price (I think I paid $8 on Amazon - might be a bit cheaper on other hobby sites but I get free shipping from Amazon so I tend to buy the Airfix kits there) I really don't feel like it's that big a problem. You absolutely will not get a nice tight fit no matter how much dry fitting and sanding you do, but a few dabs of Mr. Sparkle, er, Mr. Surfacer and you should come out alright.

We'll see in the next few days!

• Like 2

Hit a couple snags. The lower and upper cowling pieces are molded with the sprue gates positioned pretty poorly, so this is going to cause a lot more sanding and filling. Just gotta do what I gotta do, though.

I cut the upper cowling poorly and took a chunk out of it. Some repair made with liberal application of Extra Thin, but it's gonna need a lot of putty. So does the join in the lower cowling (since it's supposed to be a single panel). The tailplanes went on with a lot of sanding and multiple runs of cement and holding it until it dried. Minimal filler necessary, but still some.

I might be able to finish assembly tomorrow and begin painting, and that is my fervent hope. But if it needs more than three total putty applications, I doubt it. I've got a job interview tomorrow, too, so unfortunately I can't spend all day working on this. Just most of it. ;)

wQ6lMZW.jpg

w9EIb5R.jpg

• Like 1

Hit a couple snags. The lower and upper cowling pieces are molded with the sprue gates positioned pretty poorly, so this is going to cause a lot more sanding and filling. Just gotta do what I gotta do, though.

I cut the upper cowling poorly and took a chunk out of it. Some repair made with liberal application of Extra Thin, but it's gonna need a lot of putty.

I also took a sliver off the upper cowling, but probably have my own impatience to blame.

I have found with this kit ( more than any other new tool Airfix ), it pays to cut on a main sprue frame and nibble away at the part.

The lower cowling didn't fit perfectly square and required some filler, but silly me left a faint join line (that you wisely pointed out shouldn't exist. MUST fix !

Good luck with the interview. Wash the putty off your hands first.

• Like 1

Heh, cheers, Wayne! And you're exactly right about cutting the parts. Trying to cut them anywhere near flush directly from the sprue leads to part damage and filling. And yet I continue to do it. :doh: Always been an impatient sort.

Puttying went well. Most of the gaps filled. Decided to take Henrik's advice and use CA for a gap filler around the upper and lower cowling. Letting that dry now. Hard to be patient when I'm in a modelling groove and got some Lita Ford on the Jambox (that's right, I said it! :boxing: ). But I shall exercise some patience.

Now I need you guys to answer a question for me - radiator cowling (I think that's what it is, on the bottom) open or closed? Which is more appropriate when the aircraft is on the ground? I'm assuming closed but figured I better ask.

Thanks, mate! :thumbsup2:

Now my biggest problem is the unbelievably fierce desire to go down the pub and start drinking today instead of cracking on with this model! :winkgrin:

Ok. I'm posting this from my phone. I went to the pub to celebrate a number of things, "it being Friday" chief among them. So forgive the inevitable errors.

Henrik's suggestion to fill the gaps with CA was a good one. The starboard wing root kept cracking loose because of stress I'm putting on it while sanding. CA. Done.

Photo time.

nhDWssd.jpg

GLaprej.jpg

VpsrM72.jpg

• Like 2

Some of the fit issues on this kit are a bit like Lita Ford "fit me once, fix me twice, watch out for the sprue gates, they are deeeaaadlyyy"

CA glue is certainly more forgiving as far as flexing goes. Good stuff !

• Like 1