Hi,

not very creative but I like to enter Old 66 - the SH-3D Sea King which rescued various Apollo crews in the livery of the Apollo 11 rescue. Starting point is Revells boxing of the Hasegawa Sea King. As this is a later variant I add early short sponsons from Flightpath UK (excellent stuff and service!) and their Sea King etch set. Decals will be DIY as the Apollo Decals are long OOP and the only sheet I found had a collector price tag. Apollo Decals are now available at Starfighter decals but currently only the Apollo 13 livery is available and only in 1:72 at the moment. The 1:48 sheet will probably hit the shelfs before this GB ends but the Apollo 11 sheets will most likely not arrive in time (they will be rereleased this year too). So I did my own artwork for this sheet which I will print myself unless I find a better solution.

I had this build on my list for many years and originally planned to make a rescue scene. Due to the ammount of work involved I will not. My Old 66 will be parked with folded rotor and after a lot of thinking I will keep the main cabin door closed: it is molded closed anyway. To open up the door would mean a lot of scratch building and as there are so many GBs I want to do this year I need to keep the Sea King as simple as possible.

The Flightpath etch set provides the left side entrance door and the front area of the cabin. But I am not sure if this is correct for the Apollo rescue as I read that the interior was stripped from most equipment to provide room for the recovery mission.

Thanks for looking and pics will be uploaded later.

Rene

Edit: Here is what I currently have:

IMG_6578_zpstsx7v3u7.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! I uploaded a pic to my first post with what I have for this build. I also ordered the small Eduard Set with seat belts and instrument panels but fear these will arrive too late to use from the start. I guess my first steps will be to scratchbuild the antennas and cameras and backdateing the kit parts (shorter horizontal stabilizer and filling the front cabin window on the port side. I will really have to force myself not to get carried away with this ( I would love to open the sliding door and detail the cabin and such).

Rene

I will really have to force myself not to get carried away with this ( I would love to open the sliding door and detail the cabin and such).

Rene

Once you start upgrading elsewhere it can be very hard to stop!

Cliff

• Like 1

there is a set of basic decals here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-KING-APOLLO-RECOVERY-S-53-HELICOPTER-1-48-scale-/200416273186?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item2ea9bda322

I have no idea of quality . I have the hasegawa kit and its sitting gathering dust as Im waiting for the re release of the old 66 decal set

I got this set very cheap from e-bay Australia - it is still on the way and it does not look too accurate IMHO - still better than nothing (I just bought it because it is cheap and I have a back up solution this way). The Old 66 Decals (http://www.old66decals.com/) are now done by Starfighter Decals (http://www.starfighter-decals.com/old-66-deca66.html), well right now they only have the decals for the Apollo 13 rescue in 1:72 but they will release the 1:48 version too soon. The other versions which were done by Apollo decals before will be released by Starfighter decals too - they just wait for the corrected artwork I was told by them. But I do not expect this to happen while this GB lasts...

Not much to post regarding the build - I only glued and puttied the forward cabin window so far... Just to make a start.

Rene

Still not much regarding the build as I am quite engaged in real life at the moment. As said above only that I sanded the putty down and added another layer of disolved putty from Gunze, which I also sanded down:

p02sk_zpshsomnz3p.jpg

I am still struggling with the fact that there is no interior in this kit. I have no clue what Hasegawa had in mind when they decided to leave it empty. What almost puzzles me more is that there is also no aftermarket company which stepped in :shrug:

Rene

Thanks a lot for the infos above. The SB decals sheet has some inaccuracys as far as I can tell and see. It seems a mish-mash of various Apollo recovery liveries. The pictures of OLD66 on the page of Captain Micah do not show the original SH-3D but another in the 66 livery. Still I guess most of the interior will be quite similar. But this is just a guess - all I "know" about Sea Kings is what I found out while reseaching this one, which is not much to be honest. And so I step from one dark corner into the next:

The Old66 instruction (thanks again Jörgen) tell you to shorten the tail stabilizer by 21/32". I calculated that this is 1,67 cm and shortend the tail stabilizer parts accordingly:

p03sk_zpsk1anqn6n.jpg

But the instruction also show a scale drawing and this shows a much shorter stabilizer... I need to find out more about this and which is correct.

Still not sure what to do with the interior I decided to have a go on recasting the sliding door just to check if I get a good result. I used a rubber like material which gets soft as clay when you put it in hot water and stays in shape once cooled down. I got it from Hobby Easy some years ago and as it was something Japanese (?) the plastic wrapping only showed kanji IIRC. Either way I do not know the name of this stuff. It came as small bars in vivid colours (yellow with metal flake, lilac, blue, pink) which make it difficult to see mold imperfections. But the fact the material is cheap and resuable and that it can be used for many casting materials including resin is very nice to say the least.

p04sk_zps7j9uhavf.jpg

As casting material I simply used Milliput which I pushed into the mold. After it cured I sanded the backside thinner (still in the mold so the Milliput does not break):

p05sk_zpszzwmnjao.jpg

So now I have a seperate door... One step solved, still I wonder if I should add an interior as it will certainly extent the build a lot.

I realized that the Flightpath set does contain the inner parts for the front cabin door - but not the door itself. So you have to carefully cut the door from the fuselage. Quite tricky I fear. One solution is to keep the door closed and add the Flightpath parts to the inside. It will be quite visible through the front windows - I tested it by a quick assembly - which also showed that the bare interior could be quite visible too... Oh well. To make it short I decided to open the sliding door, add interior details but keep it as simple as possible. Why do I always end up like this???

p06sk_zpsrlr3mgjf.jpg

So the next days I will add some Evergreen strips to the insides :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Rene

• Like 3

Is the moulding material Oyumaru Moulding stick?

Yeeeessss! Correct - that is the stuff. I got it as the twin pack and remember a price like 2 USD from Hobby Easy. I bought two sets so four sticks which are now melted into the one single blob you see in the pictures.

Thanks to you I found some on the bay in black colour which I instandly bought. I suppose the black colour will be better to spot airbubbles and other imperfections more easily. I can really recomment this cheap molding material for simple jobs as the one shown above.

Thanks Colin.

Thanks to you I found some on the bay in black colour which I instandly bought. I suppose the black colour will be better to spot airbubbles and other imperfections more easily. I can really recomment this cheap molding material for simple jobs as the one shown above.

And thanks to you Colin I also tracked some down and bought it before it all disappears! I hadn't heard of this stuff before but it looks like an excellent answer to a few looming problems that I have coming up.

Looking good........To get a better idea of the stringer and frame positions goto the Sea King walk rounds and look at the rivet lines on the outside they attach the internal bits and pieces. I had a few weeks on elec assist on the production line and had to rivet brackets for their (electrical) cable clipping. I had 20 plus A1 drgs of the whole internal skin view,stringer, frames and clipping. they also included all the other pipework etc. which got a bit complicated in places!

You'll be doing this in 1/48th! Not teaching you to suck eggs but if you start at a window and the you have a point of reference and you might find that easier if you want to do it.Although none of it is visible with insulation and sound proofing fitted.

Its more or less how I ended up doing it. The cable routes were drawn and given dimensions, in practise I put the clipping where the leccies wanted them or where the cable was and not where the designers had defined. They were hand built a/c's after all!

Edited by bzn20

Thanks bzn20 - I really do not want to go to town with the interior detail, just add some "interest". I suppose Old66 was without insulation (again - just a guess). My first idea was to add insulation to make life more simple but all interior shots (just a hand full) of SH-3 Sea Kings were without any insulation. Of course it is possible that Old 66 was insulated for whatever reason but I guess not.

I will add the stringers according to Hasegawas rivet lines and to the pictures I have and some wireing I suppose. The ceiling will be rather tricky and I have no real solution yet. This seems to be the key feature of this build: I have no idea how the finished Sea King will look and no clue what I am doing :-D

Rene

• Like 1

See post 12... The link I provided is the actual old 66. no insulation but a lot of structure

Yes,It looks like they didn't have sound proofing/sidewall panels because there are cable runs on top of structure that is the surface the trim screws to. Normal runs would be through lightening holes and along stringers until a "breakout" or clipped back keeping it clear of the panel when fitted.

Edited by bzn20