Bf110 G4 3C+BA - Heinz Schnaufer's last aircraft April 1945

Well, I have finally completed this beasty for the Bf110 GB. It is the last BF110 flown by Heinz Schnaufer’s , who was the wars most successful night fighter pilot with 121 confirmed kills. Though with this aircraft, his final, he didn’t record any kills. There is not too many details on this particular and the only parts to survive the war are the rudders which are now on display (one each) in the Imperial War Museum and the Australian War Museum.

I could have chosen a simpler build than Eduard’s 1/48 Bf110G and a simpler scheme then Schnaufer’s last aircraft!!! Eduard’s Bf110 is not a simple model to build, plus add extra bits and she becomes a bit of a challenge. On top of this a colour scheme for the most successful night fighter of all times last aircraft...for which there is little to no real info or photos for and you have the makings of an interesting build (I have other words to describe it but there may be children reading!!!). A big thanks to Max (“galgos”) for invaluable help on some of the details.

It was a hard build plus for those who know my work routine one that had serious time constraints! But she’s finally finish, there are quite a few things I could have done better but in the end she’s a great addition to my night fighter collection (at least she’s finished).

Lastly this model is dedicated to my Dad who passed away late last year......thanks for getting me into models and having the aircraft bug.

Please enjoy, build thread: build link

DSCF2128_zpsz0guq2my.jpg

DSCF2130_zpshwcx6azr.jpg

DSCF2131_zpsdeq4gaiw.jpg

DSCF2132_zpswt4a5cii.jpg

DSCF2133_zpsdckphcpz.jpg

DSCF2134_zps90axteme.jpg

DSCF2135_zpscoyhkzo4.jpg

DSCF2136_zpskw3xh7xa.jpg

• Like 22

Fantastic build, I do like a nice 110, I've been watching the GB with intrest and inpoticular the eduard 1:48 ones as I think I'm going to get one I've built a dragon one. I do like the finish, that's somthing I need to work on with my aircraft.

You may have seen mine on the GB as I was giving away an engine and put some photos of mine on.

Thanks

Ozzy

Fantastic build, I do like a nice 110, I've been watching the GB with intrest and inpoticular the eduard 1:48 ones as I think I'm going to get one I've built a dragon one. I do like the finish, that's somthing I need to work on with my aircraft.

You may have seen mine on the GB as I was giving away an engine and put some photos of mine on.

Thanks

Ozzy

Despite the known troubles with the Eduard models they do produce a nice model. It just take a little bit more extra time and effort, but it is worth it.

As to the finish its just something you have to work at a little bit, I've been seriously back into modeling for just over two years now (thank/blame the GB's for that! ) and compared to some of my earlier work!!! the big trick is to airbrush light and quite thinned down paint, acrylics or emanels, then ensure you have a good clear coat. Then it's easy to fix any weathering/shading work that goes wrong.

Excellent model of a great WW2 subject. Wish DML would release a "G" in their 1/32 110 range.

Gary

1/32nd would have been so much easier to work with, just wish I had the space!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, it was a tough build made no easier by my crazy work life. I was so glad to finish it as it was starting to become real work to finish! Least now I can tick that of my night fighter check list!

Thanks again for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the nice comments

impressive piece of work..excellent.

just wondering whether Max pointed you in the direction the image at this link..

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/heinz-schnaufers-bf110g.html

yeap Max did as well as other stuff. I have to admit it wasn't until I had completely committed to this build that I found out how hard it would be.

For such an amazing pilot and such an interesting subject just how little information was/is out there. Especially for this particular aircraft. Clear photos, well actually any photos of this aircraft or even detailed information would have made it a bit easier.

In the end I had to take a couple of liberties in a few areas as I couldn't find the information I needed or it was a bit conflicting, whether the rear MG's were fitted or not was one.

But in the end I was very happy how it all turned out and feel this good as representation of his last aircraft as I could do in the time I had. She looks really nice along side the other night fighters I have.