Upper hull structure is now attached, as well as the main gun - mantlet is slipped on for dry fit only at this point. Both forward detail parts and zimmerit sections all glued on.

15928766324_84993ffe48_b.jpg

A number of lengthy gaps where the zimmerit sections come together, so that will eventually be looked at. Have tried some Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty just below the left drive sprocket. The corner section in front of this will also need to be covered in zimm - the Atak resin set did not provide for this.

15931156783_030869f437_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 9

Rob, Darren, Platypus and SleeperService - thank you gents!

Yes the headlight, we are on the same wave length there.

Forgot to add some description in the text body, something about it being all wired for sound. :winkgrin:

Also thanks for sourcing the date of steel road wheels, not surprised it's from the research of Jentz.

regards,

Jack

Thank you Mick and PlaStix.

The past week was spent on the rear deck details.

Some things to point out done differently from instructions:

- shovel - Aber PE provides a brass replacement , but I just used the original plastic and thinned the heel section a bit. For the two nails detail, some thin rod sprue placed into pre-drilled holes. Another application of liquid cement over top to flatten out. Also couldn't find the strap on the PE fret, so just made one from plastic sheet.

- jack - again, Aber has you practically rebuild this, but I decided it was not worth the hassle as there isn't much difference in detail from the kit part. I just cleaned off the molded on mounting frames and fashioned some cut wire for the two handles (better seen in 2nd photo).

- wrench(s) - PE too thin for rebuild, so relied on the kit part, the usual clean up of molded on brackets followed with adding PE ones.

16440308999_75bd11638b_o.jpg

There should be a clamp on the axe, but this tool is loose for now. If time permits, it will be in the hands of one of the crew members for a planned dio (no, not Jason visits Panzer Lehr on Friday the the 13th ;)

Other loose items for now for painting purposes are the spare road wheels, gun cleaning rods, and the spaced armour sheets on the rear.

16626100025_df71a0ea73_b.jpg

Got a decent start on the hull roof, it too is loose for now. Still have a few pieces to go, including a trio of periscopes. Instructions have you create your own springs for hatch detail, so I did the same with the rear fenders. Really simple, just some brass wire wrapped around an appropriate diameter drill bit.

16625000071_c01b2f85fb_b.jpg

Mid week saw the arrival of workable track links from AFV Club. Have a few put together to see how they look. I really like the colour they are molded in, could almost pass for brown grey metal. Should be a lot quicker than the Stuart tracks done last year - 5 pieces per link compared to only two here.

16626098345_49543d8ee1_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 4

Dan and Knikki - thanks very much.

No photos atm, but I've got the roof details all done. Another dry fitting with hatches open reveals the interior will need some details, the very least a firewall of some sorts as light can be seen shining through the rear deck. I'll post pictures soon of how some plastic sheet is cut up to help in this area. The kit includes nothing for the interior, not even a semblance of the main gun breach.

regards,

Jack

Took a few extra days than intended for scratch building some interior details. I just eyeballed dimensions based on some interior photos, only relying on the ruler to make straights cuts and such.

At first was just going to add a rear wall, cover up the floor (there are troughs along the hull sides where it meets the floor due to the way the plastic was cast). An off centered drive line cover - left in primer red, but other modelers have it finished in interior white/buff.

16478648627_748eb0a2af_b.jpg

After another look through hatch opening with the above in place, I decided to add a bit more. A couple seats fashioned with putty (green stuff), a box to hold four upright shells, and some semblance of the breach basket.

16478647267_458a389793_b.jpg

A shot of the parts painted up and in place:

16478646067_26edcd9eb1_b.jpg

... and with the roof glued in place:

16498333768_29bb433482_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 4

Very nice work on that interior Jack. As you mentioned you can really see inside through those hatches - especially in this scale. Excellent progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

PlaStix and Mick, thanks lads.

Cheers Wolfpack, yes closing the hatches would be the straight forward solution, but I'm thinking that might appear a bit odd with a couple crew members standing outside the vehicle.

-------------------------------------------

Still more progress to report. All sixteen rails for the skirt armour are now attached. This involved 12 parts each, plus an additional piece of plastic sheet cut to place behind the brackets for those located on the zimmerit section. This was done to correct the angle.

16520176170_ed765af9d7_b.jpg

16707560565_e1f26245a9_b.jpg

The two straps on the muffler were fashioned from plastic strip - much easier for the glue to hold than the one from the PE fret. Also started applying some putty to fill in the seams left open from not the quite perfect fit of the zimmerit. Just a few more detail pieces in the rear area and it will ready for primer.

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

Wow! That looks amazing! All that PE is definitely going to add another dimension to this model! Fantastic stuff! I do not know how you have the patience.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you PlaStix and Rob.

Before hitting with primer, did some further work with the zimmerit, including chipping/breaking down the bottom edge along the lower hull. Also added sections of green putty for the locations of the tactical number and other stencil work. These details are well photographed from a captured Lehr vehicle.

16550933507_3bfb614725_b.jpg

Primer followed with some pre-shading in dark blue.

For the base colour, I mixed my own Dunkelgelb from Tamiya paints. It included some of their own dark yellow plus a couple tan browns I had created many moons ago. While the airbrush was still out, began some broad colour modulation by lightening the base paint with Xtracrylix German Tank Interior Cream.

Some further modulation with paint brush. I used a fairly thin mixture of about 50/50 each of Vallejo Green Ochre and DOA's Dunkelgelb (I find their colour is too green like Tamiya, but it is lighter). Lightening it further on subsequent layers with the above Xtracrylix paint.

16757234662_0e0f4b2b91_b.jpg

16570754458_517e11bcd9_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 7