Imperial Star Destroyer - Avenger Class (Randy Cooper)

Update time, here is last weekends progress:

IMG_6021_zpsscxjasis.jpg

IMG_6022_zps6tifsnsy.jpg

Head is still dry fit only and so are the main 3 engines. This facilitates easy handling during the airbrushing process.

1st gun emplacement:

IMG_6023_zpsrbskmbz3.jpg

Just 7 more to go, extremely time consuming on the prep and sanding front!

The painting has revealed all the tidy-up that is necessary IMO to make this model look authentic as possible.

IMG_6024_zpsci9qevlf.jpg

IMG_6025_zpswprw4xnp.jpg

IMG_6026_zpsoclctlvv.jpg

IMG_6027_zpsojaklff0.jpg

Some Scratch Building:

IMG_6031_zps7mdw5wx5.jpg

IMG_6032_zpsmiujzybf.jpg

I've now sprayed the head again after re-working a lot of the detail parts.

IMG_6034_zpswwu2ozfr.jpg

IMG_6035_zpsa3wfqseo.jpg

Also all the trenches are now attached and the hull displays the re-addressing of the detail areas......a lot of work :banghead:

IMG_6033_zpskjzsrxp3.jpg

I've also finished all 8 gun batteries now. The Millennium falcon i'm currently working on (only 18mm long ) along with the blockade runner is also underway to complement the ISD.

More updates soon :popcorn:

Have been comparing this to studio shots and actually fibre optics would not have worked anyway, they would be too small for most of the windows. It would be an excercise in resin removal and f^&k knows how many internal smd's (for instance the bridge windows are clearly visible as a series of squares)

Holy Moley! It's only seeing on the bed (double?) you how big it is! Can I ask how much was it?

The model ISD worked out to be just over £400 + shipping which was about £90 then there was the import duty. Cost of build is around £100 so far.

All in all not shy of £600ish. It's on a queen size bed.

It is expensive and has taken more time than anything else I've built but strangely the ISD results are the most satisfying out of any build so far!

Phil

Great work so far, looking at the studio model the lighting was in pools rather than all over, though there does look like there are some fibre optics in there too.

Celticwardog, Randy doesn't do small models, but what he does do is exquisite!

http://randycoopermodels.com/catalog/45

I've just ordered his detail set for the large Hasbro Millennium Falcon.

Keep up the good work Phil.

Cheers,

Warren

Ta for the link, his Sandcrawler is lovely. I notice you attend shows with you nice lighting kits - is there a list of shows anywhere - preferably sci-fi only but anything would be nice?

HaMeX events near Milton Keynes have some Sci-Fi based shows.

More pics soon, just cleaning up some details and a bit of panel line re-scribing at the moment.

The ISD has had 2 coats now and is looking very clean, after some addressing of panel lines.

I will get some pics of the in-scale Blockade Runner and MF too soon.

Thanks for all the great comments!

star-wars-wallpaper-11_zpse6zye9ed.jpg

Edited by Silverstone 2

More updates,

I've addressed the detail issues by scratch-building in areas, and i'm happy with a consistent result on the upper and lower hull faces now. The Trenches have also been cleaned up to remove seems.

There were quite a large number of casting bubbles that also needed attention. This detailing phase has taken up the last 2 weeks.

The thing with resin (white chocolate) is that these imperfections cant be really seen until painted.

I completely re-built the top rear hull join to make things meet up correctly. I used MillyPut before but this is not strong enough and plasticard strips gives a much crisper edged line.

IMG_6061_zpscptgr6at.jpg

IMG_6065_zpsah2jft9b.jpg

The rear detail is much better for it.

IMG_6062_zpsmcnlexgb.jpg

IMG_6064_zpsqh69iee4.jpg

IMG_6066_zpslb7v43jg.jpg

IMG_6067_zpspjirppwq.jpg

The Millennium Falcon, lots of painting & Detailing still be done here but the casting is very good IMO. The scale is pretty accurate too at 33m long it is actually 1/4 the length of the Blockade Runner's 120m length.

IMG_6068_zpsskmbyi46.jpg

IMG_6071_zpspb0etcxk.jpg

IMG_6072_zpse06fynqv.jpg

IMG_6073_zpswv9oudcj.jpg

IMG_6074_zpsc0uvi6kp.jpg

IMG_6076_zpsf8isfg7f.jpg

The Blockade Runner - Still lots of work to be done here also :banghead:

IMG_6080_zpswaxvbir2.jpg

• Like 4

I have been silently following this masterpiece - it blows me away every time I check up on it - I would have given my eye teeth for this kit when I saw SW for the first time in 197? - The ISD is like Blakes 7 Liberator - unique and unforgettable.

• 4 weeks later...

The ISD is now finished.

I'll post Pics on the Ready for Inspection Thread.

Blockade runner still needs final paint and detailing. MF cockpit detail also not quite finished yet.

Phil

great news - I am heading that way on the forum right now.....

Looking really nice, I saw the one that Phil Flory had done at Telford and there really is no better kit of this movie icon, it looks very impressive, that millenium falcon must be tiny!

Rich