Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair build

Hi Russell,

must be the best model I have ever bought and built, (which means any bloopers are caused by "you know who" :mental::analintruder:)

Hi Julian,

that really is a glowing endorsement of the kit. Tamiya must've pulled out all the stops on this one-almost makes me think of getting my grubby little mits on some of their 1/32 kits myself. :wow:

I seriously doubt there are any bloopers though mate. :thumbsup:

Looks great, Julian. A three tone Corsair will be looking very nice, especially in the big scale.

Thanks Bernd, yep, nice contrasting colours so it should look quite nice.

Looks great Gremlin, nice work sir.

:goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thank you very much Simon :winkgrin:

Hi Julian,that's bright!

I sense an epic ' weather front ' moving in ;-)

Kev

You bet, will seal it up with varnish first though.

Hi Julian,

that really is a glowing endorsement of the kit. Tamiya must've pulled out all the stops on this one-almost makes me think of getting my grubby little mits on some of their 1/32 kits myself. :wow:

I seriously doubt there are any bloopers though mate. :thumbsup:

Go on, live dangerously. You know you want one :pirate:

Sunglasses needed indeed! :coolio:

Tinted optivisors Erik, see things pleasantly dim but very big :yikes:

• Like 1

6/3 update:

The coin didn't drop on how the flaps fold away in the trailing edge of the wing center sections so I had to respray some parts today. Problem is solved now though and it all looks A-OK.

The extended flaps give this aircraft an amazingly clumsy look and Tamiya's model captures that impression beautifully. I keep getting more enthusiastic about this model.

DSCN2659.jpg
DSCN2660.jpg
DSCN2661.jpg

More to come.......................... :bounce:

• Like 4

Looking good, Julian. The three tone camo will bring out the details much more than the GSB scheme, as well the weathering.

Looking good, Julian. The three tone camo will bring out the details much more than the GSB scheme, as well the weathering.

Good morning Bernd,

I think it should look quite good in the three tone camo. The red border on the "stars and Bars" will add a splash of colour too. It certainly needs some toning down because the white nearly hits you between the eyes at the moment. A couple of washes and some Flory will make a different aircraft of it. :coolio:

I have just caught up with this and its stunningly impressive. Will be following. The engine looks a work of art!

Cheers

Rob

Thank you very much Rob :bye:

• Like 1

Looks good, Julian, the armored glass gives the windscreen a very realistic touch, its the first time i have seen this on a Corsair kit.

I don't know if Tamiya designed it this way Bernd, but after fitting the gunsight and the reflector screen, you can see the the gunsight in the armoured panel of the reflector screen.

Maybe coincidence or not. Really made my afternoon :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Like 2

8/3 update:

Base coat added to fuselage. Some slightly lighter and darker tints added to dark blue. Center section flaps secured, Rudder dry fitted.

DSCN2667.jpg
DSCN2669.jpg
DSCN2670.jpg
DSCN2671.jpg
DSCN2673.jpg
DSCN2674.jpg
DSCN2675.jpg
DSCN2676.jpg

Rather chuffed with the result so far. Weathering still to come of course........................ :wicked:

• Like 8

Rather chuffed with the result so far.

And so you should be! It really is looking beautiful! Thoroughly brilliant!

Edited by PlaStix

These came as a result of the famous Nov.11th 1943 mission. While on defence duty for TF 50.3 air- attacking Rabaul , operating from Bunker Hill deck, Blackburn got his fourth kill(Ki-61). During the battle he had to take his Big Hog into the cloud as he suffered from fogging of the windscreen. Just needed to wait for clear vision. Lt. Cmdr Roger Hedrick had been chasing enemy seeking cover in the very same cloud. He fired his guns spotting an aircraft jumping out of it. Unfortunately it happened to be Blackburn’s nr 1. The CO’s only comment on the situation was a short notice that his Corsair had been literally moved sideways with Hedricks’s burst. The spots are patches covering holes being a result of Hedricks bullets. The rim of the insignia was, almost for sure, in blue shade, not red, by the way.