Westland Sea King AEW Mk2 849NAS 'Baggers". D Day anniversary scheme 1994...

OK guys, here's my enrty into the GB. Having served on 849 NAS. 'Baggers' I feel it my duty to build another cab from my old squadron. I'm using the Revell kit No.04450 with an AM decal sheet from IAM sheet number MA-72103. The Revell kit really is abeauty and has to be the bench mark for others to attain or not.

So here we go, the obligatory box art and parts pics. I do like the tiger scheme but maybe another day...

IMG_6336crre_zps1018c5b4.jpg

IMG_6337crre_zps5b85f926.jpg

The kit provides an infalted bag however I've only found one pick on the net of a cab parked with the bag inflated, it doesn't look quite right. So (at present) I'm going to make a deflated bag.

IMG_6338crre_zps1d5182ce.jpg

IMG_6342crre_zpsa70fedfa.jpg

'

Patrick Allen's good reference on the type which unfortunaltly falls short on the 'Bagger' being published long before they came into being.

IMG_6339crre_zpscdaa73e7.jpg

Another sheet I found in the stash but won't be using is the old Almark sheet No. S-11 basically the same subject as the IAM sheet but without the D-Day stripes.

Right that's me until the 31st.

Colin

• Like 5

Hi K, thanks for the comments. Having served on three front line squadrons in my FAA carreear, 849 with Gannet 5's and 3's, then 845 with Wessex 5's which we took aboard the Bulwark to the Far East and finally, 847 again with Wessex 5's at Sembewang in Singapore. So I've made the two Gannets, I'm building a Wessex from 845 and still have the late type Wessex 5 to build. Being a Wessex man there will be a few of those.

Colin

Hi Henrik, I'm looking to make up a disk for the backplate and then add a couple of pices of plasticard and then build it up from there with filler. It sounds quite easy...

Colin

• Like 1

I sure there was an aftermarket set that included a deflated bag, can't recall who or even if its still available. More fun doing it yourself though :)

looking forward to this, and just like Kwaterous I like the personal connection.

Of course it's easy to talk about it, but.......

I would like to do a AEW Sea King. I was thinking of building up a bag by overlaying segments of cloth or paper over the inflated bag part of the kit (like half a chocolate orange). Then attaching the resulting dome shape to a disc (included in the kit?) and squashing it down to achieve the correct deflated shape. Rather like how the original is made. An advantage is it would be much lighter than a lump of resin hanging off the side.

:2c: for what it's worth.

All the best.

• Like 1

First day of the GB and I made some mild progress, assembled the sponsons and the bag support frame, removed the chaff despenser mounts both sides. I also removed all of the detail on the cabin floor it's way over scale.

IMG_6346crre_zps04402b0d.jpg

I also stated on the WO's station but the kit parts aren't correct for an AEW 2, so now I need to scratchbuild them but I need info if anyone can help. I've been all over the intergoogle without any luck.

These are the kit parts, the part on the left was attached to that on the right which I cut off and was going to attach it to the middle part but I can't.

IMG_6348crre_zpse27198e4.jpg

Until later then...

Colin

• Like 2

OK guys, I had some luck on the intergoogle earlier today. I found an image of the WO's stations, not the best of images but it will be enough for me to build the necessary consoles. I'll work up a drawign this pm see where it takes me. Just goes to prove, if you keep digging long enough...

SeaKingAEW_WOstation_zpsf1427969.jpg

So, until later...

Colin

OK, after a grub around on the intergoogle, I found a pic of the operators seaty and along with the pic, above I got on a did a little scratch building on the interior. So, this is where I was yesterday pm...

IMG_6364crre_zps60b8c659.jpg

At the forward end of the cabin area is the electronics which I presume drives the scanners etc. It won't be visible unl;ess you peek through the cockpit glazing, as I'm not going to risk opening the door. I had a look on the Big H site for Eduard PE sets, I got up to 35 Quid with a set of paint masks before postage, which I thought was totally OTT, so I did a download of the instruction as pointed out in another GB build thread. I'll scratch what is needed and with the money I've saved I'll be able to by two HC4's when they become available.

I also started on the crew seats and made up a jig to bend some soft .4mm wire for the framing, I'll post the seat pic later.

I've also been adding some exterior detail missed or fogotten by the Revell toolmaker, more of that later.

Colin

• Like 5

Thanks Ian, back on it this pm. I'll post some pics of the fus detail and the seat. There's an avionics rack just inside the cabin door I still need to build, no dims, just one photo.

Colin

Looking awesome Colin.. Nothing like old school modeling. In my book homemade counts more than bought.

Thanks Henrik. not that I'm against PE parts but if you have the skill then use it. PE has it's uses but also it's limitations, plus the 35 Pounds I saved not buying the PE sets, I can buy more Sea King kits...

Colin

• Like 1

Another update, this time I spent the afternoon adding and moving detail around the two fus halves. There are differences in scabed on platework, vents and intakes amongst the different marks. Revell could never have hoped to have covered them all. For the scabbed onpanels, I've used a mixture on thin plasticard and coffee jar seal foil and the foil form the scalpel blades I use, it is much thinner than plasticard and I'm using Future as an adhesive and gives some freedom of movement a bad on the fus and a dab on the reverse of the foil. Let the Future set a little, it becomes tacky like a contact adhesive. The foil won't sercum to CA as it has a polythene backing. For the vents I used Aeroclub aerofoil strut, it has an aerofoil shape similar to the fuel vents scattered across the fus. I also dug the hole for the refuel point under the cabin door.

I also moved the aerial post top of the fus aft of the cabin window, on the AEW 2's it is positioned further forward and the old position has a plate to cover the previous hole.

On the starboard side, I've run some Mr Surfacer into the scribe line for the window cut out but the port side add in window I still have to tackle.

As mentioned in my other build, I'm going to leave the sponson off untill after painting. I also noticed on the Prime Portal Walkround (top walkround) the cover strip over the cabin door has a cut back over the opening (aft end) I may look at that later.

IMG_6367crre_zpsaa2e5300.jpg

Right today, back to the interior.

Colin

• Like 2

An afternoon spent building a couple of seats for the two WO's in the back. Also the pic I used to build them from, Plasticard .4mm wire, masking tape and .15 wire for the adjuster handles finished off with a bad ot white glue for the knobs. Just got to replace the seatbelt guide and the seat belts, then I can build the two for the cockpit.

IMG_6368crre_zps9c325904.jpg

IMG_6370crre_zpsc14ac53c.jpg

IMG_6371crre_zps884b2f61.jpg

I can't remeber which site I found this pic, on but when I do, I'll give due credt.

Colin

• Like 2