Airfix and CMR Jet Provosts 1/72 (and a Chipmunk too)......Last few piccies

It's just not fair (teddy flies towards the corner of the room) no one should have that much talent!

• Like 1

It's just not fair (teddy flies towards the corner of the room) no one should have that much talent!

He is a jammy git isn't he :bleh: .

Said my bit in the WIP mate,but for those that ain't seen that:

Most of us have had some input hither 'n' thither,that's all the fun of the fair for me.

As usual with a Steve Fritag WIP,great read,great banter and craik,great skill leading to

others having a go at summat new,and a great(though in this case,two)model at the finish.

Roll on the Hawks and Jags :worthy:

• Like 1

All the superlatives have already been uttered Steve, so what can I add? Perhaps the finest 1:72 models I have ever seen. You've set your personal bar so high that the Hawks and Jaguars to come are going to be mouth-watering treats for all us followers.

• Like 1

All the superlatives have already been uttered Steve, so what can I add? Perhaps the finest 1:72 models I have ever seen. You've set your personal bar so high that the Hawks and Jaguars to come are going to be mouth-watering treats for all us followers.

He's certainly got to get his finger out eh Tim :lol:

Ta everyone :blush: Mind you - if you work at the snail's pace I do then there's no real excuse for not getting a decent finish.

It's snowing heavily up here in N.Yorks to day - so I decided to work from home ( and skive a bit). So before finally putting the JPs to one side and thinking seriously about a couple of Hawks - I played about with my iPhone (5s) to see how good a photo I could take simulating an eye level shot. Took a couple of each:

IMG_3349_zps3953f989.jpg

IMG_3350_zps72c318da.jpg

IMG_3353_zps46d07ed5.jpg

IMG_3352_zpsc14d1e5c.jpg

IMG_3347_zpse975ddd7.jpg

IMG_3348_zps4169a590.jpg

Oh - and a gratuitous extra cockpit shot :)

IMG_3342_zps6602ea77.jpg

Quite pleased with that from an iPhone. Don't think I'll be splashing out on a new camera to take piccies of future builds.

Now then - I think we've all had more than enough of these Jet Provosts - so thanks again for all the kind comments. Think I've probably peaked now........all downhill from here - and thats all I've got to say about that (to paraphrase Forrest Gump :))

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11

Now then - I think we've all had more than enough of these Jet Provosts -

Maybe not quite Steve - those are indeed excellent piccies, but what you need to do now is make up a nice base for them, carefully pack them in a travelling case, head out to CF, & get some piccies of them with their spiritual home as a backdrop....!! :winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 4

Oh Wow!

I have just joined but browsed for a while. I think these are the finest models I have seen! Lovely finish and amazing detail!

I've thoroughly enjoyed the whole build process as I did with the Chipmunk. The finished articles are stunning and I'm sure many will use the build articles as an invaluable reference work when building these lovely little kits.

I'm expecting to see a nice little Bulldog, Tucano or Gnat to continue the Training Command theme.

All the best and thanks for going to the trouble of such informative and enjoyable build threads.

Chris.

You know what?

I am sure that if I shrank and climbed into the Chippy and closed the canopy it would be certain to smell like a Chippy as well

Steve, don't be surprised if this RFI lives on for a long time

I keep coming back to enjoy them vicariously, bet I'm not the only one...

;)

b

• Like 2

Maybe not quite Steve - those are indeed excellent piccies, but what you need to do now is make up a nice base for them, carefully pack them in a travelling case, head out to CF, & get some piccies of them with their spiritual home as a backdrop....!! :winkgrin:

Keith

Better still bring CF to the home, head out to CF get a pic or three of the scene there, print this off Make a base board that matches the concrete there, and snap away.

geedubelyer made a good post on this in his Tigermoth RFI

CT

• Like 2

Is there a way on your iPhone to increase the f/ number (decrease the aperture)? That will give you a much more evocative eye level shot, because most, if not all, of the model will be in focus. The shots don't look natural if the back half of the fuselage is blurry. I don't use my phone for my model pix, but I set my camera to f/8 or higher.

Cheers,

Bill

Better still bring CF to the home, head out to CF get a pic or three of the scene there, print this off Make a base board that matches the concrete there, and snap away.

geedubelyer made a good post on this in his Tigermoth RFI

CT

I like that idea :) But I could only print A4 size - which I suspect would not be a big enough backdrop.

Is there a way on your iPhone to increase the f/ number (decrease the aperture)? That will give you a much more evocative eye level shot, because most, if not all, of the model will be in focus. The shots don't look natural if the back half of the fuselage is blurry. I don't use my phone for my model pix, but I set my camera to f/8 or higher.

Cheers,

Bill

very good point Bill.

There's no aperture control on the iPhone so you can't manually set the depth of field (I'm using IOS 7 on an iPhone 5s but I think this it's the same in IOS 8)

On the other hand it should have quite a large depth of field in any event - as a result of having a small sensor.

You can however manually control the focus point.

With hindsight - what I should have done was manually fix the focus on a point some way along the fuselage - rather than letting it autofocus on the nose.

I suspect that had I thought about it at the time I could probably have got the whole fuselage in focus.

There can also be an issue that the iPhone fixes the exposure from the point that it focuses on - which isn't always what you want. However i think you van get around this by downloading a camera app which allows you to set the exposure on a different point......

I have in fact got a DSLR - but I lost the photography bug a few years ago and need really recaptured it.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

What a fantastic trio.

Apart from the Hawk, do you plan to do any more RAF training aircraft? I for one really hope so.

P.S Could you do one that is slapdash and shoddy, then I'm back in my comfort zone :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Thanks Mark. The Tiggie backdrop was A4 . A sheet of plywood appears to give a reasonable suggestion of concrete.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/geedubelyer/Airfix%20Harrier%20GR7/tn_AirfixHarrier021a.jpg

This image I've linked to was also in front of an A4 sheet. ;)

(I painted a thin yellow line down a small sheet of ply to suggest a taxiway centre line)

Perhaps it's a job for one of those calm, sunny days in summer? It would certainly give a new slant on these beauties.

These little gems look better the more one looks at them. Great stuff Steve.

Edit: Just had a thought. If you save a suitable background image on a flashdrive and take it to a "Staples" they can print a larger version off for you at reasonable cost. Once you've got one it'll do for most of the models in your near future. (I've got one or two of Coningsby that might work as a generic backdrop if you'd like one. )

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 3

Thanks Mark. The Tiggie backdrop was A4 . A sheet of plywood appears to give a reasonable suggestion of concrete.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/geedubelyer/Airfix%20Harrier%20GR7/tn_AirfixHarrier021a.jpg

This image I've linked to was also in front of an A4 sheet. ;)

(I painted a thin yellow line down a small sheet of ply to suggest a taxiway centre line)

Perhaps it's a job for one of those calm, sunny days in summer? It would certainly give a new slant on these beauties.

Nah thats a real Harrier init ...........Is it not...........blimey!

Looks very real

• Like 1