Are there any C-135 experts out there?

wallyinoz

Hi Guys,
I have had an Amtech 1/72 EC-135N in the stash for about 8 years and I have just dusted it off. A million years ago when I was a young ATC in the RAAF based at RAAF Pearce WA I had occasion to provide ATC services to these ARIA aircraft. Several years later when a civil ATC I was to see them again at Perth Airport with a different callsign A plus another 3 letters I cannot recall, which is neither here nor there.

It is a big model and I want to display it in flight on a stand, thinking more about it I want to pose it in one of those unforgettably scarey smokey noisy underpowered take-off attitudes. To do this I will have to put some flappery down, and I haven't a clue about the geometry of the bits in the takeoff setting. Does anyone have any drawing / detail that will help me do the construction work required?
Did the Pilots wear bonedomes on these missions (for the life of me I can't remember them carrying any out of the aircraft but they may have been kept inside.)

Thanks in advance

cheers
Wal

I've never seen a C or KC-135 crew with bone domes,we had Fairford round the corner and regular visits to Brize Norton. There is a good Magazine special devoted to the 135,came out 2 or 3 months ago from keypublishing.com. don't know what the postage to Oz would be like though!

• Like 1

Hi Wal,

Afraid I can't help personally, but there is a member on here called Jennings Heilig who is very knowledgeable on this aircraft.

I think he even had some input with Amt/ertl on the c-135 kits.

Regards

Mark

Yes thanks he told me to google images on KC-135, DER

The C-135 used the same flappery as the early 707-100 models. Take a look at the Ultimate 707 guide for details. I think that bone domes would be worn for takeoff and landing while headsets are used during most of the rest of the flight.

Thanks Jess I'll have a sniff around there

I've never seen a C or KC-135 crew with bone domes,we had Fairford round the corner and regular visits to Brize Norton. There is a good Magazine special devoted to the 135,came out 2 or 3 months ago from keypublishing.com. don't know what the postage to Oz would be like though!

OK I will look out for that as well. I want to b absolutely sure of take-off flap configuration before I cut any plastic

cheers

wal

Thanks for that 707 link Jessica,I think thats the best description of the different 707 wings I've seen in one place.

No bone domes worn by the crew. We use to have the Aria on our base all the time.

If you want an expert, send Bob Sanchez (of TwoBobs Decals) an email, he worked them. He crewed them on visits to my former base.

I've towed them a few times and rode the brakes, that my extent of knowledge of them. Well, I did help with a few engine changes after a fire and fod incident as well as a few avionics faults.

• Like 1