Why No Wingnut Wings Fokker Triplane?!

ytareh

A few years ago they said that they were not going to do the Dr.1 or the Sopwith Camel as there were already kits that they considered good enough. They did the Sopwith Triplane after Roden released theirs, but I think they had already done a lot of the design work and the Roden fuselage is slightly short in length apparently.

They also said that there were going to be photo-etched sets and resin figures but these have never been released, so they have some latitude about what they release. If they changed their mind about those sets, they may change their mind about the Fokker and Camel. Here's hoping!

Phil

They have bowed to demand and announced a Camel. Release date is unknown. Nothing about a Triplane, though, or a SPAD, both of which, I am sure would be hugely popular

Where was this announced? I missed it.

They announced it over a year ago if i remember correctly. No date for release yet but plenty of speculation built on very thin foundations.

Thanks. However, unlike the AEG G.IV, DH 9A (Post-War) or Bristol Fighter (Post-War), no Camel is shown on their website as "in development". Of course, I realise that this does not happen for all future kit issues, such as the Felixstowes, but nevertheless I'm not holding my breath or selling my Academy Camel.

WNW had previously stated that they were not interested in making kits of WWI types that were already available in 1/32, which included the Camel and Dr.1 (the Sopwith Triplane and Pfalz D.III ended up being produced by both Roden and WNW at the same time and, yes, the Roden Tripehound is short in the fuselage as the kit was based on the prototype, not the production machine). They have, however, confirmed that a Camel is in development - probably because the Academy Camel is not as widely available as it used to be, and it's an older kit.

Don't dismiss the Roden Dr.1, though. It's a fine kit in it's own right.

Edited by vince14

As much as I would like a WNW Fokker Triplane, There are two or three kits on the market- Roden and Hobbycarft Canada. Yes the ribs on the HB kit are bizarre, but the decal sheet is great. Maybe WNW will get around to a fokker Triplane, but if so, they better get it right or they will be pilloried in the WW1 modeling community, just like any company that misses a panel line on a Spitfire.

I'd like to see other models instead such as the German knock-off of the Nieuport 17 (the name escapes me at the moment) or a Pfalz Eindekker, or, an AVRO 514, or a Curtiss Jenny. How about a WNW kit Fokker D.VII with lozenge and markings of the Knowlton Fokker.

Edited by Richard B.

There's noat wrong with the Academy Camel and Roden DR1 (I've done both). So, I'd much prefer WNW spend the not inconsiderable sum I've kindly sent them over the past few years on developing something utterly random- much more fun!!

By the way WNW, I'll have a Short 184.. :thanks:

There's noat wrong with the Academy Camel and Roden DR1 (I've done both). So, I'd much prefer WNW spend the not inconsiderable sum I've kindly sent them over the past few years on developing something utterly random- much more fun!!

By the way WNW, I'll have a Short 184.. :thanks:

A Vickers 'Gunbus' wouldn't go amiss either...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Camel and Dr1 are both available from others and not bad models as others have said. So before they waste money I'd much prefer they bring out in no set order. Sopwith Dolphin, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Bristol Scout, Martinsyde Elephant, Short 184, Sopwith Baby, Austrian Albatros DIII's (series 53, 153 etc), how about an Albatros two seater, Halberstadt DII, HB20 - very different from the HB12 and 29. I could go on, but my point is I can maybe see the Camel, but why split sales on a DR1 that Roden already has done to death.

Another way of looking at it is this, many modellers wont buy a Dr1 because of the extra cost over the Roden, even if the WNW is perfect, therefore it makes no financial sense.

Back to lurk for me, Ray

I too recall recently reading WNW had changed their mind and decided to do the Camel, but there was no indication of when and I now can't find the article. This was a change from the June 2012 Hyperscale interview with Richard Alexander who said they had no plans to do the Camel.

I'd like an 'Andley Page 0/400. Not sure where I'd put it, mind you...

No Problem, IIRC don't the wings fold back for storage in hangars and on shelves...

Christian the Married and exiled to africa, who does not mind what WNW make just as long as each new release is spaced far enough apart to allow for the piggy bank to recharge.

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

It was in an interview in an older issue of "Ami Cher", the newsletter of the Great War Special Interest Group of IPMS (GB), where WnW's Richard Alexander said that they were doing a Sopwith Camel at Wingnut Wings. I don't remember the exact issue (2012? 2013?), so please have a look yourselves on the Great War SIG's homepage.

Richard

and just because a kit is in development doesn't mean it will get produced.

A Little bird from NZ told me the kits in development. I promised Peter that I wouldn't say anything 26 days early, but I'm sure he won't mind :- )

Serial Number

32032 Fokker Dr. 1

32033 Sopwith Camel

32039 Sopwith Salamandar

32043 Junkers Cl.1

32044 Fokker E.V

32045 SSW D.III

32046 SSWD.IV

32049 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 (Late)

32051 Breguet 14B2

32052 Junkers D.1

32053 Spad XIII

32055 Spad VII

32056 Airco DH.4

32058 Caudron G.4

32062 Armstrong Whitworth FK8

32063 Sopwith Dolphin

32064 Martinsyde Elephant

32065 Martinsyde Buzzard

Thank you VERY MUCH, Folkbox1 , for revealing those secrets! 😉 I am quite happy that most of my wishes will come true now! 😅 But wasn't there a Viper powered SE5a in WnW's pipeline too?😀

Edited by RHWinter
  • Like 1

Ummm.... The fledgling Irish Air Corps had four Martinsyde Buzzard's

MARTINSYDE F.4 BUZZARD (1922-1929). Purchased from the Aircraft Disposal Co.

SERIAL NO.: I

Delivered to Baldonnel Aerodrome, 15.8.22. To “B” Flight, No. 1 Squadron. Named “The Humming Bird”.

Crashed near Baldonnel and “written-off”, 16.5.29.

SERIAL NO.: II

Delivered to Baldonnel Aerodrome, 14.10.22. To “B” Flight, No. 1 Squadron. “Withdrawn from use”, April 1929.

SERIAL NO.: III

Delivered to Baldonnel Aerodrome, 14.10.22. To “B” Flight, No. 1 Squadron. Crashed and “written-off”, 18.9.28.

SERIAL NO.: IV

Delivered to Baldonnel Aerodrome, 14.10.22. To “B” Flight, No. 1 Squadron. “Withdrawn from use”, October 1925.

All they need now is to release the MARTINSYDE TYPE A Mk. II.... this was their first aircraft.

Edited by Séan Pádraig