Sikorsky S-61A Royal Danish Air Force Fujimi 1/72

Here is a small tip on getting multiple new windows aligned. use masking tape to mark the new window row on the outside of the fuselage. simply run two strips with the window row placed between the tape, then place tape vertical on each side of the new window to be cut. Then you can drill the corners and use the tape as a guide and file away until you reach the tape.

• Like 1

Bummer thought I had two of these Fujimi kits in my stash. Discovered the second is a total mess. Apparently I have a very "helpful" son who wanted to help his daddy. All parts of this kit is broken of the sprue, most parts is either broken or lost from the box. Well at least I got a excuse for a cunning plan brewing in my head. Why not use the fuselage as full template for making ribs and stringers? So I removed all unwanted excess plastic inside the fuselage. and cut out the extra windows. Glued the fuselage together. First experiment was to create an 100% accurate template for the new cabin floor.

449_04_02_15_7_19_17_0.jpg

449_04_02_15_7_19_18_1.jpg

Masking tape was used to mark the cut line and my razor saw was used to cut the bottom out of the fuselage. So far so good. Looks like my plan is going to be functional.

449_04_02_15_7_19_18_2.jpg

Next is first attempt at a rib/ spar. Note the pencil sketching inside the good fuselage in above photo to guide where to cut in the now "ruined" one.

449_04_02_15_7_19_19_3.jpg

the first rib more of less finished.

Before anyone suggest to use a contour gauge for this kind of work. I have one or rather had one. My helpful lad again has been playing with daddy's stuff that was also taken apart and lost completely.

Well being a dad to a child diagnosed with ADHD presents its challenges to keep yourself calm and patient Not always easy.

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 4

449_08_02_15_4_58_45_0.jpg

The drill drifted on me so I might redo the second from the right

449_08_02_15_4_58_46_1.jpg

Engine/transmission housing removed and a new roof is fitted. only to provide a rough template for the frames in that area

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A very small update without any pictures. All frames has been cut and most is getting the final touch with the needle files. Working tomorrow so no work expected then. My weekend official starts Sunday 16.00 local time having Monday and Tuesday off. Planning to get up early and get some work done on my Sea King these two days.

• Like 1

Ooh man having a really hard time not to start one of my Airfix/Heller Sea Kings for a second quick semi OOB build. It would mean my new year resolution is canceled.... AAaaaaah need to have something finished soon.

• 4 weeks later...