1/35 Dragon Tiger 1, Normandy, June 1944. Finished 29/3.

DaveJL

Just a question for those in the know!

I've been looking at the instructions and for the paint scheme I've planned, the wheels appear to be left in the base colour (yellow) with no brown or green added. Is this right, or an error in the instructions?

Cheers

I'm thinking about going down a different route with this one…Instead of adding the Pak 35 to a diorama, i'm thinking about incorporating the Panther G i'd planned for my second entry onto the same diorama as the Tiger, perhaps with s Schwimmwagen or Kubelwagen thrown in, meeting at a refuelling point or some-such.

Any thoughts?

Dave

• Like 1

From historical aspect, as long as you put The Tiger and Panther in different unit markings, I suppose a meeting at a refueling point is possible. Maybe the Panther is a replacement vehicle, and has crossed paths with the Tiger unit?

regards,

Jack

Operation Epsom. There what remained of the sSS.Pz.Abt.101 supported the HJ and in the later stages (did it change to Operation Jupiter for the Allies? The same campaign for the Germans, anyway) sSS.Pz.Abt.102 supported the Hohenstaufen and the Frundsberg. Can´t recall anymore which one of them had a battalion of Panther G:s. Frundsberg maybe? Happy modelling! V-P

01.thunder_sample_cover.jpg

From the above book, there is chart of tank types and the number ditributed to the various units, broken down into the months of June, July, and August 1944.

HJ (12th SS) - 79 Panthers for June

Hohenstaufen (9th SS) - 79 Panthers June

Frundsberg (10th SS) - no Panthers listed

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

I'll finish the Tiger first then decide what way i'll present it! :lol:

The Dragon Panther does provide options Normandy based machines, though i'm unsure of their accuracy.

Dave

During the Battle of Grimbosq ( part of Totalize ) on August 7th and 8th 1944, The 101 Schwere Abteilung deployed five Tigers in the area around Grimbosq bridge, and the small village of Brieux. At the same time, the 12th SS as 'Kampfgruppe Wunsche' deployed Panthers and Pz IV's in the area just north of Grimbosq bridge, where they did major damage to the Churchills of the 107th RAC. One of those Tigers had pulled into a damaged farmhouse, and knocked out several Churchills as they came up the rise to the Brieux crossroads.

On the Allied side, the actions at Grimbosq resulted in the awards of a VC, DSO, Croix de Guerre, four MC's and eight MM's, plus a posthumous Mention in Despatches which really should have been another VC. The Grimbosq Battle was quite an engagement to say the least.

Thanks for the info chaps, i don't know much about German regiments during the war.

Got a brief bit more done on the Tiger. Painted the camouflage colours onto the turret. Went for Tamiya 'Red Brown' and 'Dark Green 2, RAF'.

IMG_7236_zpsz8cd798c.jpg

IMG_7238_zps3at3pifj.jpg

I decided that i want the tank to look really worn and abused so part of this was to add a base layer of Tamiya 'German Grey' and a apply a liquid mask. Once i'd added the camouflage, i rubbed off the mask leaving the grey areas to simulate chipped/worn away paint. I think it looks quite well. The brown and green was painted freehand and is not overly neat, but washes and weathering should make it look more life like (i hope!!)

I've also started painting the mass of sub assemblies - tools, tracks, various pieces of kit, weapons etc. There's a lot to do!

Will hopefully get the hull painted later in the week.

I've a question to ask for those informed on the subject; did the edges of the running wheels have a steel or rubber coating that will need painted on? At the minute the wheels are fully yellow and the Dragon instructions do not state any additional colours for them, but i'd assume they had a steel or other sort of edging to them.

More soon.

Dave

Looking at the box cover and kit wheels, they are the all steel type, no rubber.

Is that the early war panzer grey you used, exposed underneath the paint chipping? I would of taken the safe route of red oxide primer which was likely still the standard at that time. A grey primer was used on gun barrels which was specially formulated as being heat resistant.

regards,

Jack