Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

My first vingette was about this size or slightly smaller - I used Airfix ACW figures. Don't over load the space and it should be approachable.

When you first raised the query, I thought you meant 1/35 scale. Something like a PaK 40 75mm anti-tank gun with crew in action would, I feel, be too big for a 6x6 base. A Napoleonic 6 or 8 lb canon might fit comfortably in tha same space.

• Like 1

Mixture of Revell & Preiser, possibly some others.....You know I like my figure butchery! :winkgrin:

PS - I think the carriage of this gun might be too big for the base, however I do have other options, but most of them are from ACE.....The 'dark place' beckons! :doh:

Hey, I've got three BMP-2s from ACE, and I was thinking of having some soldiers do a dismount out of one. Some of their newer stuff is actually fairly good for short run. Cmon Sarge... lets see some brilliance out of you.

My first vingette was about this size or slightly smaller - I used Airfix ACW figures. Don't over load the space and it should be approachable.

When you first raised the query, I thought you meant 1/35 scale. Something like a PaK 40 75mm anti-tank gun with crew in action would, I feel, be too big for a 6x6 base. A Napoleonic 6 or 8 lb canon might fit comfortably in tha same space.

I think you can probably do it... certainly if you make it like a 4X8inch it would almost certainly fit (as you proposed earlier). I actually would love to see a Pak40 in action vignette.

• Like 2

Tempting -Neu-, tempting ...

Just come across this:

5590188702_a8b3bbc2c0.jpg

An interesting mix of equipment - note the fallschirmjaeger helmets, except for the man on the right.

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/deckarudo/sets/72157626465559197/(lots of Pak 40's)

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 2

Well the Italeri PAK-40 is moulded in full recoil

Yes that´s the original PAK 40 kit, today sold with a SdKfz 11 or in a triple gun set. The later, more wargam-ish snap kit that comes with servants isn´t in recoil. Rather good kit for it´s purpose, not a museum piece but keeps 1:72 T-34:s and Shermans off with ease. Damn I haven´t had a game in a to long time and it shows...

• Like 1

looks like mine will be WWII RAF based (seems my son interpreted "any AIRFIX Tank is fine" to be "RAF Personnel"....) - thinking of a Hurricane (as I have never built one) on a grass base with a few figures - nothing exciting (unless he kept the receipt for he figures or someone wants to swap them after Christmas for a 1/76 tank (WWI Male/Female perhaps))

• Like 1

I have contacted a company which uses a roving satellite which has a high energy laser fitted.

The satellite will sweep over the vignette and calculate the board area to 5 decimal places. Any board more than 0.24sq mm over the 23,225.76 sq mm area [= 36 sq inches] will be zapped out of existence by the laser.

Similarly any bits that overhang the edges of the board will be blasted away by the laser.

• Like 2

to confirm - if I built a Hurricane for the STGB next year, could I use it as part of the Vignette GB (plan was to build the Hurri for the STGB and then do the base, figures and equipment for this GB - would that be acceptable?)

• Like 1

Hi all and welcome Joss.

Just a quick update. There's obviously quite a few questions appearing about what can (or can't) be included. I have now drafted out some guidelines, based on what's been said in this thread, which I have initially passed to Mish to peruse. I know she's not going to be our glorious host anymore but this GB was originally her idea. Then, once the co-host(s) are confirmed I will run the guidelines past them and then I'll post them in this thread for general agreement.

Rob - unless anything changes with the guidelines you will be able to use the Hurricane you build as part of the STGB in your vignette as long as it's not in 1/48 or bigger - pretty sure it won't fit on a 6" x 6" base if it is!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

I have contacted a company which uses a roving satellite which has a high energy laser fitted.

The satellite will sweep over the vignette and calculate the board area to 5 decimal places. Any board more than 0.24sq mm over the 23,225.76 sq mm area [= 36 sq inches] will be zapped out of existence by the laser.

Similarly any bits that overhang the edges of the board will be blasted away by the laser.

Now why didn't I think of that :shrug:

Hi all and welcome Joss.

Just a quick update. There's obviously quite a few questions appearing about what can (or can't) be included. I have now drafted out some guidelines, based on what's been said in this thread, which I have initially passed to Mish to peruse. I know she's not going to be our glorious host anymore but this GB was originally her idea. Then, once the co-host(s) are confirmed I will run the guidelines past them and then I'll post them in this thread for general agreement.

Rob - unless anything changes with the guidelines you will be able to use the Hurricane you build as part of the STGB in your vignette as long as it's not in 1/48 or bigger - pretty sure it won't fit on a 6" x 6" base if it is!

Kind regards,

Stix

Ideas run past me an approved, Stix is in charge :)

• Like 1

to confirm - if I built a Hurricane for the STGB next year, could I use it as part of the Vignette GB (plan was to build the Hurri for the STGB and then do the base, figures and equipment for this GB - would that be acceptable?)

Awesome idea! I've been building a series of them for a very similar diorama depicting the Czechoslovak 310 Squadron, which I intend to continue in the Hurricane STGB...

12O%20-%202_zpsa4xen2ev.jpg

I'm going to build four or five aircraft, which would make it completely ineligible for the vignette GB, but I'd be interested to see how you go about it, and perhaps we can share some ideas.

• Like 1

Awesome idea! I've been building a series of them for a very similar diorama depicting the Czechoslovak 310 Squadron, which I intend to continue in the Hurricane STGB...

12O%20-%202_zpsa4xen2ev.jpg

I'm going to build four or five aircraft, which would make it completely ineligible for the vignette GB, but I'd be interested to see how you go about it, and perhaps we can share some ideas.

trust me, the only idea I will have is "bin it".. .I am trying to find ways to use an unexpected christmas present (RAF Personnel) and this came to mind. I think it will just about fit on 15cmx15cm - was thinking plane, the WAAF, a couple of others figures standing talking, and then the 2 guys with the accumulator trolley on a simple green base (need to raid a friends train modelling stock for "grass")

• Like 2

trust me, the only idea I will have is "bin it".. .I am trying to find ways to use an unexpected christmas present (RAF Personnel) and this came to mind. I think it will just about fit on 15cmx15cm - was thinking plane, the WAAF, a couple of others figures standing talking, and then the 2 guys with the accumulator trolley on a simple green base (need to raid a friends train modelling stock for "grass")

Something like this?

23570587501_e325cc9cf9_c.jpg

It's progressed a bit further since - A Tilly has appeared and the figures are painted.

All Airfix 1/72nd / 76th.

• Like 3

Something like this?

23570587501_e325cc9cf9_c.jpg

It's progressed a bit further since - A Tilly has appeared and the figures are painted.

All Airfix 1/72nd / 76th.

exactly like that (just 6"x6" so probably no Tilly).... i know its not original

• Like 1

Good morning all.

I've not had as much time to be on Britmodeller as I'd like over the past couple of weeks so I'm a bit behind with stuff. However, I've got a bit of time at the moment so I thought I'd update everyone with whats's been going on.

First off I'd like to thank Neu and Blasvader for volunteering to co-host this GB with me. We've started discussing some definitive guidelines for this GB which we'll post soon - most of them are based on what's been discussed already in this thread - there are no real changes just some clarification of points.

At the moment the list of people who have expressed an interest in taking part in this GB is as follows:

1. Mish

2. PlaStix (Host)

3. Silver Fox

4. Saints Phil

5. milktrip

6. Mitch K

7. Vppelt68

8. hgbn

9. Whitestar12chris

10. sean

11. Cookenbacher

12. Bangor Lad

13. badger

14. Rob G

15. moaning dolphin

16. Mottlemaster

17. AndrewE

18. Doug Rogers

19. Snapper_city

20. kwaterous

21. Wolwe82

22. Stew Dapple

23. Wimbledon99

24. fatfingers

25. Shermaniac

26. Radleigh

27. giemme

28. Biggles87

29. MAD STEVE

30. JackG

31. stevej60

32. SDK_K

33. Mark

34. Natter

35. nimrod54

36. Blastvader (Host)

37. Sgt.Squarehead

38. Worm

39. Kallisti

40. rob_uk

41. Bonhoff

42. Neu (Host)

43. Robert Stuart

44. Joss

45. Fatboydim

46. bull-nut

47. paganpete

48. Carius

49. Badder

50. 68 Squadron

51. masterqq

52. dreadeddrew

53. wkennerley

54. TonyTiger66

55. alxzinbox

56. brianthemodeller

57. Philp

58. CliffB

59. Paul Giles

60. LeeCarey74

We actually had 80 people vote for this GB in the ring fenced section of the 2016 GB voting - it would be great if we could get that many people (or more) taking part. If you think you'd like to take part let us know and I'll add you to the list.

More soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Stix; inspired by an earlier post of Stevej60 :thumbsup: , I acquired this for the GB:

23718193706_f0232754cf_b.jpg

I hope this suites the GB rules. Not very original, but I'll try to set up a decent vignette out of it.

Ciao

• Like 4

Hi Stix; inspired by an earlier post of Stevej60 :thumbsup: , I acquired this for the GB:

I hope this suites the GB rules. Not very original, but I'll try to set up a decent vignette out of it.

Ciao

Hi Giemme. That looks great to me! As long as you can fit it on a base with a surface area no bigger than 36 square inches then that's a definite yes! I'm looking forward to seeing you use your amazing figure painting skills on these! :worthy:

At the risk of showing my hand early ,does this idea work as a vignette.

Going to have just the tail of the B17 after it has been choped off by the zeppelin rammer done in 1/72

Alistair

Hi Alistair. That looks like a fascinating idea - as I mentioned to Giemme above - as long it can fit on a base with a surface area no bigger than 36 square inches then it's in. I'll be interested to see how you do this one. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks Stix

i think i can do it in 5 x 5 inches and possible in 4x4 but will have to take a look at a b17 . This will all be an action sequence in the air with possible crew member falling out :(

You don't have to make it too small......as long as it all within the 36 square inches you can include more sky! I'm fascinated as to how you're going to do this! Don't tell me now! - it'll be fun watching it develop during the GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hello Stix, could I please join the Vignette Group Build. I've never built one, but I've got a copy of Sheperd Paine's, How to build Dioramas which I'm sure will be a great help. Joe

• Like 1

Hello Stix, could I please join the Vignette Group Build. I've never built one, but I've got a copy of Sheperd Paine's, How to build Dioramas which I'm sure will be a great help. Joe

Hi Joe. You certainly can - I will add you to the list in post #2. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...