Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

Some inspiration from last weekend..

I'll be thinking outside the box for this one..

16616419895_3797f615b7_c.jpgSouth Cheshire Militaire Show - 22/02/15 by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16429248008_71899ebfd2_c.jpgSouth Cheshire Militaire Show - 22/02/15 by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

15996838643_853975f8d2_c.jpgSouth Cheshire Militaire Show - 22/02/15 by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 6

Come on Guys, Get Real - when you 'signed up' for this the base was 6x6, then the Ah, Yes but brigade want to change everything.

So, Good on ya Mish for sticking to the original concept.

BTW - 12x12 & 6x24 is actually 4 times the area

The base is 6"x6" why not live with that fact and find a way to accommodate the possibilities.

Not everything can be manipulated to suit your own agenda's

Take of the blinkers and look 'outside the box' that you've made for yourselves and embrace the alternatives.

Go the extra step and build something totally alien from your normal model making existence - it can be liberating too!

This all sounds a bit corporate buzzword but you never know, you may actually learn (teach yourself) something new?

Of course, someone will try and build an inverted pyramid with a 6" square base to display a 1/16th Car or Tank or a 1/48th Superfortress (or suchlike) 'coz the base needed is 3 feet square.

That person is only fooling themselves I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Couple questions for clarity:

1.) Is any dimension acceptable, just as long as the area is not over 36 square inches? For example, 5"x7" and 4"x8".

2.) Does two lone figures with no vehicle qualify, and conversely, two vehicles with no figures?

regards,

Jack

Sorry Jack I keep meaning to go back and clarify that in my first post. You are correct in part any number of figures, a combination of figures and vehicles but I'm not to sure about a number of vehicles on their own. I think we need to discuss that point.

Hi Mish and Stix and all of you.

You can add me in as well.I have never did a vignette so now i can try :)

Cheers

Pawel

You're added Pawel and welcome.

I think in this case less is more , well more or less

That's the message I have been trying to get across.

Come on Guys, Get Real - when you 'signed up' for this the base was 6x6, then the Ah, Yes but brigade want to change everything.

So, Good on ya Mish for sticking to the original concept.

BTW - 12x12 & 6x24 is actually 4 times the area

The base is 6"x6" why not live with that fact and find a way to accommodate the possibilities.

Not everything can be manipulated to suit your own agenda's

Take of the blinkers and look 'outside the box' that you've made for yourselves and embrace the alternatives.

Go the extra step and build something totally alien from your normal model making existence - it can be liberating too!

This all sounds a bit corporate buzzword but you never know, you may actually learn (teach yourself) something new?

Of course, someone will try and build an inverted pyramid with a 6" square base to display a 1/16th Car or Tank or a 1/48th Superfortress (or suchlike) 'coz the base needed is 3 feet square.

That person is only fooling themselves I'm afraid.

A bit more forthright than I would put it but essentially Sermaniac is putting the same point across that I have being trying to. Vignettes as suppose to be small a part of. Think of taking a small bit of a larger diorama and presenting it to your audience so that it tells a story or part of the story in it's own right.

• Like 3

I go with the main flow on this one. Only suggested a square foot areal to get a ship in 1/350 scale like a destroyer into this. That was my original intend to build a Tamiya Fletcher destroyer. I figure something else out to build.

I go with the main flow on this one. Only suggested a square foot areal to get a ship in 1/350 scale like a destroyer into this. That was my original intend to build a Tamiya Fletcher destroyer. I figure something else out to build.

Henrik, I'm not sure how you can have a vignette with just one ship. I puzzled.

Sorry if my comments seemed a bit forcefull but this is potentially a great GB.

This one, I think, needs to happen.

Mish, does this quality as an STGB?

The Single Type being the base dimension......

This subject in no way constitutes the criteria for a STGB even stretching the rules just a little.

• Like 2

Of course this GB is subject to a vote for next year but regardless of whether it gets through or not I'm still keen on giving my vignette a go. A little in advance but I want to plan ahead; does anyone know a good quality manufacturer of a 1/72, 1/76, HO, 1/87 scale highland cow? Doesn't necessarily have to be pre-painted. I've learnt of Schleich through some searches but think they are larger scales (1/48?). I don't think Prieser have a highland cow in their catalogue.

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Aaron.

On another note, I too am fine with the base size. Plenty ideas within the current stash.

Only reason I spoke out was to explain why I didn't think this was one for everyone. There was one particular comment where they were ready to label, with negatives, anyone that thought there was nothing for them here. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Granted, I don't know them personally, maybe that was stated only in jest, so lesson learned on my part.

Thinking outside the box - yes, that really could be applied to anyone joining any group build that has a theme outside of their comfort zone. In fact, given the size of membership of Britmodeller (almost 15k), and the ratio of people that do actually participate in group builds, there is a lot of potential for thinking outside the box.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

I might do something in 1/87 scale.. for this. Have collected a more or less complete US M1 Abrams tank Battalion only need to get the scout Platoon of M2 Bradley's to complete it. Still have to build and paint most of the vehicles. 120+ just in the HQ Company alone. plus four tank companies.

I'm a sucker for Roco minitanks in general.

Have a idea of a small Vietnam vignette with a M35 2½ ammo truck and a Bell AH-1G

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/roco-minitanks-571-35a2-ammo-truck-87-137839534

http://www.toymarkt.de/RocoBellCobra1.JPG

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 2

No, but I have considered doing it :winkgrin: My battalion all started by reading a special issue of a armour magazine, Not wheels and tracks but a german covering the originazion of us army in Europe during the cold war.

http://www.dmkf.dk/Filer_manualer/Camo/TB%2043-0209%20color%20marking.pdf

TB 43-0209
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY TECHNICAL BULLETIN
COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE
PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES,
CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT
AND
MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT
Approved for Public Release; Distribution is Unlimited.
This copy is a reprint which includes current
pages from Change 1.

If anyone is interested in the official issued painting instructions for NATO 3 color camouflage for all us vehicles 407 pages mostly drawings

Edited by hgbn

Hi all. Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far. It's great that this will be in the vote for next year.

Some of the comments about 'thinking outside the box' got me thinking and I might have an idea which could enable me to build one of my usual builds but possibly even in 1/32! I need to do a bit of thinking and measuring first before I reveal anything! And no - I'm not going to use the 'updside-down pyramid' method or have anything overhanging outside the area of the base! Now wheres my ruler and that..............?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2