Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

6x6 is a good size to play with.

Flappy builders will find it restrictive though.

Exactly my thought. Well, anyway Mish/Stix, please sign me in. I'll try to come up with something that can fit in there...

Ciao

• Like 2

I think I'm already on the list Stix. It would be a shame if we were disqualified for stuffing the ballot box. ;)

Sorry Rob.......I should have checked. I think we might be almost there with John and Steve now though!!

Thank you John and Steve - I think you guys just took this GB to 29. I'll wait and see the list when Mish adds everyone before getting overly confident!

Anyone else?

Edited by PlaStix

Sign me up.

----------------

As noted by others, the size restriction does limit both subject and scale choice. So for instance, 1/35 scale mechanic working on a tankette should fit nicely on a 6" base, but a heavy tank like the Tiger would not. Someone has already mentioned cutting their bomber up and just using a portion, and I can imagine ship builders would have to do the same unless they want to portray a raft or such. Should be interesting.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Thank you Steve!

Right - I'm pretty sure this GB now has more than the thirty people interested in it to get it into the vote at the end of the year. That's fantastic! It would be good if we could get even more to hopefully get this one to actually happen.

Edited by PlaStix

I do think that this G/B has a very good chance of making the cut as all time scales and modelling intrests can be met. I cannot think of any subject that couldnot be done as a vignette from Tank to Airfix Blue tit.

• Like 1

32 interested members and what a little run on names all in the eight hours I was at work. My poor little phone was going crazy as the email alerts was coming in.

Thanks one and all.

A word, if I may on the base size. The reason I choose 6" was because we will only have four months and I want this GB to be a vignette GB not a diorama GB, keep it small, keep it simple and still tell a story. That's my idea.

• Like 6

I'd have to disagree about the comments stating this is something for everyone. Traditionally, vignettes is really the forte of figure and vehicle builders. With the added size restriction of the base, you are pigeon holing aircraft builders to 1/72 (are there jet fighters that scale that would fit?). Even more extreme to ship builders. Vignettes aren't necessarily based on size of the base, but more by the number of elements, ie 1-4 figures plus one vehicle, anything more and it becomes a diorama.

All I'm saying is the pool of possible entrants is not all encompassing as some might think. That being said, I do honestly hope this one makes it through in 2016.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

We will have a limited time for the GB should it get through the voting. Any larger and people won't join in as they will fear they won't have time to complete.

There is no rule that says a GB must be all inclusive. I try to make GBs as inclusive as possible,but it's not always practical. As we have never had a GB like this before, we need to start somewhere. Keep it small, keep it simple and attract modellers who have never tried to build one before.

• Like 6

I'd have to disagree about the comments stating this is something for everyone. Traditionally, vignettes is really the forte of figure and vehicle builders. With the added size restriction of the base, you are pigeon holing aircraft builders to 1/72 (are there jet fighters that scale that would fit?). Even more extreme to ship builders. Vignettes aren't necessarily based on size of the base, but more by the number of elements, ie 1-4 figures plus one vehicle, anything more and it becomes a diorama.

All I'm saying is the pool of possible entrants is not all encompassing as some might think. That being said, I do honestly hope this one makes it through in 2016.

regards,

Jack

Cut the ship in half... have it sinking ;)

• Like 3

6" - I just did some measuring, and a 1/35th StuG III is near enough to 6" long. Going to make the target tank builders think a bit, too. Can we stretch it 8"? If not, I'll cope, somehow.

Ideal size for:

Armour: 1/48th, smaller 1/35th and almost anything in 1/72nd

Aircraft: 1/144th, 1/200th etc the smaller 1/72nd

Naval: 1/350th smallest, 1/600th & 1/700th inshore craft and most WWII Subs

Sci-Fi: ????

Figures: ????

I think that 6x6 for the 'actual' vignette surface area rather than the total base area would be a good compromise.

This would also create a challenge to each modeller to come up with something a bit special.

• Like 3

regards,

Jack

How about a 1/32 Bachem ba 349 Natter on its launch tower

• Like 3

Why not settle on a square foot as a limit that's 12x12inch or 6x24inch then there is plenty of room and still relative small

Sorry that's double the area and negates the whole idea of the GB.

Members have signed up for this GB on the original idea, we shouldn't be changing the criteria as we go along unless it's for a very good reason, in my view there is no reason to increase the size of the vignette. My original idea was to have a GB where given the time constraint members could show, develop or try their skills in creating a small scene.

• Like 3

I would actually disagree that it precludes many builders from entering. Where does it say we can't break with tradition and perhaps model something other than a vehicle or a few figures. As always with modelling the only limit is ones imagination.

Remember the fantastic vignette someone did, if I recall it was called, 'Death of a ball turret gunner' or something similar. It was simple, but hugely powerful.

Take it as an opportunity to think laterally, outside the box, do something unexpected. I think a 6 inch square base can concentrate the subject, although if we can say a 6 inch square working area as opposed to the outer base dimension, that would help. :thumbsup2:

• Like 5

Couple questions for clarity:

1.) Is any dimension acceptable, just as long as the area is not over 36 square inches? For example, 5"x7" and 4"x8".

2.) Does two lone figures with no vehicle qualify, and conversely, two vehicles with no figures?

regards,

Jack