Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

I had thought od doing something with 'City of Truro' for this but, after trying the limited no of options, I find it won't meet the size requirements. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me, not sure what I will end up doing now.

Hi Nimrod. Sorry the City Of Truro won't fit the base dimensions. Have you got anything in N gauge? - I built a couple of small layouts in N gauge many years ago. Otherwise what about a scene with your superb 1/144th Spitfire? Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Not sure whether I'm going to be able to participate.....I'm already horribly overrun with builds and I just don't have anywhere to work with scenic materiels right now. :confused:

If a generic model display base would be an acceptable entry, I may be able to get involved a little later on.....A full on diorama, even a small one is pretty much out of the question. :shrug:

I really hope you'll be able to take part - perhaps using one of your current 1/72 builds? I appreciate you have a lot on but it would be great to have you along for the ride - perhaps later on.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Nimrod. Sorry the City Of Truro won't fit the base dimensions. Have you got anything in N gauge? - I built a couple of small layouts in N gauge many years ago. Otherwise what about a scene with your superb 1/144th Spitfire? Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Stix

That's a great idea Stix and both would be possibilities. I have some N gauge stuff in the loft, however my arthritis makes it impossible for me to get up there, so I would have to get Mrs N to bring it down for me. Would it be OK to use a loco and some rolling stock from what I have?

• Like 1

That's a great idea Stix and both would be possibilities. I have some N gauge stuff in the loft, however my arthritis makes it impossible for me to get up there, so I would have to get Mrs N to bring it down for me. Would it be OK to use a loco and some rolling stock from what I have?

Absolutely! This GB is all about the scenic presentation of either models built for the GB, completed ones built elsewhere or bought items like die-cast vehicles, etc. So yes the loco and rolling stock would be more than okay. There should be quite a lot of possibilities for an N Guage scene and it would be good to have more railway themed builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Howdy. I was hoping to have a cuthbertson Land Rover finished for this GB but alas, a few things got in the way.

I have a part built SO 1221 Djinn helicopter which I may use instead. Is there a limit to the number of figures / animals that can appear on the base?

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron.

The part built SO 1221 Djinn helicopter sounds like a good idea. No, as this is a bit of an experimental GB, I don't see why there should be a limit to the number of figures or animals.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Stix, i'll join in, if I may, with my recently completed 1/16 Mg gunner. The base I am proposing is smaller than the GB rules if that is suitable? If not I have other options in mind, but initially I thought it would be good to finish my figure on a base, and the vignette GB looks like the place to do it! Cheers Greg :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I've just been having a skim through a book that I have 'Railways Around Manchester' for ideas/inspiration.

I've got a couple of possible choices now, 1) a fictitious small scene in N gauge or, 2) A scene based on one of the photos in the book that shows a crew dismantling the post signal at Didsbury Station which has been replaced by lights. I could probably create that in OO scale and get it to fit within the space requirements.

I will make a decision once I have shoved Mrs N up in the loft to get some kit down.

• Like 3

Hi Stix, i'll join in, if I may, with my recently completed 1/16 Mg gunner. The base I am proposing is smaller than the GB rules if that is suitable? If not I have other options in mind, but initially I thought it would be good to finish my figure on a base, and the vignette GB looks like the place to do it! Cheers Greg :thumbsup2:

Hi Greg. I was going to comment in your thread that a base for Gunther might be a suitable candidate for this GB! No problem about it being smaller than the maximum size for this GB but you might want to use a bit more space to get the other element(s) of the vignette in.

I've just been having a skim through a book that I have 'Railways Around Manchester' for ideas/inspiration.

I've got a couple of possible choices now, 1) a fictitious small scene in N gauge or, 2) A scene based on one of the photos in the book that shows a crew dismantling the post signal at Didsbury Station which has been replaced by lights. I could probably create that in OO scale and get it to fit within the space requirements.

I will make a decision once I have shoved Mrs N up in the loft to get some kit down.

Why not make both if you have the time? Both ideas sound really excellent.

And tell Mrs N to be careful getting into and out of the loft!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

And tell Mrs N to be careful getting into and out of the loft!

Kind regards,

Stix

It's OK Stix, she has learnt to step over the piano wire, have to come up with another scheme. :winkgrin: ​

• Like 3

I've had a last minute change to the planned Vignette; I hope it's ok? I was going to do a Spanish Civil War themed one, but I've become very enthused by the GPW GB!

So, I thought I'd combine one of my Lagg 3's from there with a fuel bowser (PST kit), a nice resin pilot stood to the side and the new(ish) Zvezda WWII Soviet ground crew? Snow will be involved. Lots of snow! :D

All the ingredients are ready for the dish! Apologies for changing so late.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

That's fine Tony. The point of this Gb isn't what you build, so long as its just a diorama and it fits the base dimensions. The Crew set looks pretty nice, but what fuel bowser are you using?

• Like 2

I'm pondering a WHAT IF? WWIII vignette with England at war with Scotland and a United Ireland? Or would that be in bad taste? :shutup:

Badder

• Like 1

I'm pondering a WHAT IF? WWIII vignette with England at war with Scotland and a United Ireland? Or would that be in bad taste? :shutup:

Badder

How about a civil war between England V England (north V south)

I've had a last minute change to the planned Vignette; I hope it's ok? I was going to do a Spanish Civil War themed one, but I've become very enthused by the GPW GB!

So, I thought I'd combine one of my Lagg 3's from there with a fuel bowser (PST kit), a nice resin pilot stood to the side and the new(ish) Zvezda WWII Soviet ground crew? Snow will be involved. Lots of snow! :D

All the ingredients are ready for the dish! Apologies for changing so late.

Best regards

Tony

That's fine Tony. The point of this Gb isn't what you build, so long as its just a diorama and it fits the base dimensions. The Crew set looks pretty nice, but what fuel bowser are you using?

Yep.......what Neu says! :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Hi Neu, Thanks :) I'm using a PST BZ-35 Fuel Truck/Bowser. I have found a picture of one in white winter temporary distemper. I have just taken a break from searching for a suitable base green colour for it. The instructions give Humbrol 102, but I don't have that, so I'm going to look in the GPW GB reference as I know there's a conversion chart there for the Soviet colours.

My pilot is the Aires 'Aero Bonus' 720-014. I can't get Photobucket to co-operate tonight or I'd upload pictures :confused:.

This will be quite a challenge; I've never done snow before, in fact the closest I have got to a diorama was a sheet of model railway green grass for an Airfix Stirling I made for my Step-dad 13 years ago!

I'll start a WIP tomorrow. It will all fit nicely within the dimensions; I will only be using one or two ground crew figures; I don't want it to get crowded.

It's based on an actual photo of a Po2 being refuelled in a semi forest near Lake Ladoga, but I know that I haven't yet the skill to do a Po2 justice (scared of rigging!), so a Lagg 3 it will be :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Some very grand ideas coming across for this one, and I noticed diorama has been mentioned - it is no wonder why some are having problems fitting their plans onto the restricted base size. Has vignette really been defined for this group build, or was it chosen just because this word looks more fancier than diorama? Seems the two have become interchangeable for this one, at least for some of the participants.

I have read that a vignette really is like a portion of a diorama, it doesn't necessarily need to tell a story, but is more focused on the main subject placed in an environment. Thoughts?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• Some very grand ideas coming across for this one, and I noticed diorama has been mentioned - it is no wonder why some are having problems fitting their plans onto the restricted base size. Has vignette really been defined for this group build, or was it chosen just because this word looks more fancier than diorama? Seems the two have become interchangeable for this one, at least for some of the participants.

I have read that a vignette really is like a portion of a diorama, it doesn't necessarily need to tell a story, but is more focused on the main subject placed in an environment. Thoughts?

regards,

Jack

A motorcycle placed in a village square with surrounding buildings etc, would be a diorama, but chop the surrounding buildings away and just display the motorcycle standing on the cobblestones, and you have yourself a vignette. However, you could display the same motorcycle on a 6 inch square base, with cobblestones, a piece of wall, a tree and a few figures and call it a diorama.

• Basically then, a vignette IS a small diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Hi Jack. Badder sums it up beautifully. Thank you Badder.

Jack - I think you'd have to ask Mish why she chose the term Vignette - this GB was originally her idea. A vignette seems to be used to describe a short, concise story in writing terms, a small painting without borders in art, or a small section of a larger diorama in modelling. (There are others uses for term vignette as well it seems!) I think Mish just wanted to encourage modellers to have a go at creating a small scene for a model. Neu, Blastvader and I had a lot of discussions, after Mish stepped down from hosting, about making the GB as inclusive as possible - the main guideline is the maximum size of the base plus the fact that there must be at least a couple of elements to the scene not just the main feature model. In the first paragraph of the guidelines we stated:

"we're saying the vignette must have at least two components other than the setting (groundwork, foliage, building, etc.). So, for example, it could have one vehicle and one person (not driving or piloting), or two vehicles, or two figures, etc., etc. or a combination thereof."

Because we don't want to be too restrictive beyond the size of the base I think it would be difficult to say what is too many things in the scene, if you see what I mean. I think as long as the area of the base doesn't exceed the basic six inch square area then people should be able to chose what to include. We basically want people to enjoy taking part and to perhaps develop some scenic modelling skills they haven't tried before.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2