Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

Question - My vignette hopefully involves the Meng FT-17 tank and some Masterbox WW1 German Stormtroopers,

Is it possible to use the base supplied (currently unbuilt) with the tank or am I expected to build something from scratch?

• Like 1

Hi Bonhoff. A base that comes with a kit is perfectly acceptable and there is a separate subsection of the GB for these, but the base must have a maximum area of 36 inches square - the same as for the homemade bases. Hope your base is suitable and, if it is, I look forward to your project.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edit - as Enzo points out below I should have said the base must have a maximum area of 36 square inches!!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Er... I think you mean 36 square inches... 36 inches square is about a square metre! :smartass:

Doh! It's a good job you're on the ball as GB Moderator!!

............what Enzo says!

• Like 1

Hi,

Is it too late for me to join? It would be a vignette from a Legion Condor airfield in Spain, 1937 :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony. Certainly not too late! Welcome - you are are on the list at number 54. Looking forward to seeing your Spanish vignette.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I have my kits ready for this GB, which will take me well out of my comfort zone. It will be a 1/35 BMW R75 motorbike and sidecar stuck in the mud with soldiers trying to push it out.

That's interesting Enzo, I've had the same scene in my head for about 15 years. Except mine's going to have a natty SS officer in the sidecar, who refuses to get out and help... To be called 'Arrogance'

I've got all the bits (including about 3 motorcycles), as well as a lot of soldiers and a set of Hornet SS heads. Now I just have to convince myself that I can actually pull it off, and then make time to do it all.

You'll get yours done well before I start, I imagine.

• Like 2

It's great as a concept. Let's see if my reality matches it... :lol:

I'm sure it will! :thumbsup:

That's interesting Enzo, I've had the same scene in my head for about 15 years. Except mine's going to have a natty SS officer in the sidecar, who refuses to get out and help... To be called 'Arrogance'

I've got all the bits (including about 3 motorcycles), as well as a lot of soldiers and a set of Hornet SS heads. Now I just have to convince myself that I can actually pull it off, and then make time to do it all.

You'll get yours done well before I start, I imagine.

Hi Rob. I'm looking forward to seeing this one too! Sounds like people have excellent ideas!

I would love to be a part of this group build as well. It fits perfectly into the direction I intend taking my modeling curve in.

Thanks to PlaStix for the invite :)

Hi alxzinbox and welcome. You are on the list at number 55. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to make.

At the moment I have an idea of recreating a version (or a combination) of the lovely MiniArt bases that are available in 1/35 but actually reduce it to 1/72. I'll include a build of a 1/72 tank as well but I'm not sure from which side yet. My intention is to scratch build the building(s) but use some bought foliage.

Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

You certainly can do and I have done - at number 56. Welcome!

The idea sounds intriguing and you can even finish the lorry beforehand if you want! As long as you don't start work on the base you're fine.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Despite being a co-host I've still not decided on what im going to do. It's going to be sci-fi for certain and involve mecha but I'm still not sure what.

I need to find a waterfall to meditate under m'thinks.

• Like 1

I've got a 1/72 Spitfire Mk.Vc, a Wildcat with folding wings, a US carrier deck and some figures. Should just about squeeze them onto 6 inches square - it was tight on the Wasp.

Wildcats_and_Spitfires_on_USS_Wasp_CV-7_

The Verlinden US carrier deck is rather larger than 6 inches square:

VL1262%20copy_zps9zd8tavk.jpg

So I reckon trimming it to keep some of the more interesting details of the lift and the divide to the 'parked' Wildcat would end up something like this:

VL1262_zpsnk4s43q5.jpg

With the Wildcat parked right on the top edge and the Spit at an angle on the lift section it might just work - with a fair amount of wing hanging over the edge. Worth a try, anyway!

• Like 3

Don't do that. Waterfalls attract T-rexes.

Dammit. My one year-old just vomited on me.m Do you think the smell will be enough to keep them away? It's certainly making me want to be somewhere else...

In other news, I think I have a rough idea of what I want to do; Now, who makes the best modern, hard plastic or resin ground crew in both 48th and 72nd scale?

• Like 1

Hasagawa and Fujimi make some decent ground crew (modern and navy) in 72nd and 48th scales. I have the Fujimi Navy set and plan to use a couple of the figures on a Sci Fi dio someday.

Zvezda just released a couple WWII sets, one German and one Russian which are both pretty good. Several other companies have some decent figures.

While I understand the original intent of this GB was to make a small display I do agree with others regarding the size limitation which really has nothing to do with being a vignette. That said, I am sure I have several things that will fit within the constraints so please add me to the list.

We just did a CD dio GB over on UAMF and it was very successful and the ideas that people came up with to fit within the CD "cylinder" were very inventive (no overhangs were allowed or the dreaded laser would be used). You can see the finished dios here.

This was my first real dio and really had too many figures to be a proper vignette but did increase my interest in doing more.I have done a few of the Zvezda 72nd gun kits which come with a small base and a couple figures and these are fun to add some groundwork to or even to expand the base for a bigger area. That and the previously mentioned Matchbox kits give you a good start but is always nice to add some groundwork, trees, etc to these scenes to build them up.

I am interested to see what people come up with and have to decide if I am going armor, sci-fi or maybe a plane. Then again, I have a Catwoman kit that would fit the size but not sure if the roof section she is standing on is enough for the requirements.

Anyway, will see what I finally decide on.

• Like 2

Hi philp and welcome to the Vignette GB. You're on the list at 57.

Just checked out your link to the UAMF - thank you for including it. Great collection of ideas and builds. I certainly shows what can be done with a little imagination. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Stix

I wondered if anyone can advise: I'm looking for figures that would be appropriate in representing Spanish Republican 'International Brigades' During the Spanish Civil War. So far I have found a set of French Marquis/Resistance in 1/35 that would help. Could anyone advise of any realistic (not cartoon/gaming oriented) figures that would look nice.
Any scale.

Best regards
Tony

Edited by TonyTiger66