Vignette Group Build Chat

AnonymousDFB1

all.. .as we dont have a GB chat thread yet, any pointers for a dio novice... will be a 1/72 Hurricane, figures and base... was thinking of using wooden board painted & then use the green "grass" powder... anything else i should consider - any examples knocking around of the sort of thing i am trying to achieve, any SBS guides on creating grass bases???

• Like 2

railway shops sell grass on a roll like wallpaper but if you want to go to town theres the tufts of grass by Mininature etc. In 1/72 the railway shops your best idea as they do tons of scenic stuff in your scale, even laxer kut wooden sheds ect if you fancy a dispersal hut.

• Like 1

all.. .as we dont have a GB chat thread yet, any pointers for a dio novice... will be a 1/72 Hurricane, figures and base... was thinking of using wooden board painted & then use the green "grass" powder... anything else i should consider - any examples knocking around of the sort of thing i am trying to achieve, any SBS guides on creating grass bases???

One of the easiest and cheapest ways is to;

paint your base earth browns

use weather-proof PVA glue to stick a layer of fine sand on

when thats dry to it again

when thats dry, paint the lot over with very wet green acrylic paints ~ do a variety, two or three shades, let them run into each other for mixed grass tones.

• Like 1

I am Interested,,,multiple figures vignette for me..

Hi masterqq and welcome. You're on the list at number 51! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing what this multiple figure vignette will be.

Edited by PlaStix

Loads of info on building bases, grass etc in here, or on the web. I don't do 1/72nd scale but I know that the materials used for groundwork would be quite different to those used in 1/35th for example. Cheap picture/photograph frames are commonly used for bases, though you'd have to find one 6x6 inches.

Regards, Badder.

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Good advice from 68 Squadron, Black Knight and Badder. I use ground cover/scenic scatter stuff from companies like Woodland Scenics and Green Scene as well as grass matts from Gaugemaster - the later works best for AFVs in larger scales. You can get something called fine turf scatters which are good for short grass but they do whole range of grades and colours. Most of this stuff can be applied with PVA glue and, like Black Knight suggested, you need a range to get a more realistic effect. It's a bit more expensive than other methods but you do get quite a bit in each packet - more than enough for a lot of vignettes!

Edited by PlaStix

cheers all... I will do some digging (not literally although......)

Not wanting to plug them but I use gws static grass and get good results. You get quite a lot in the box and it comes in a range of colours!

Also the garden is a good place to look, a lot of things can be used from there

Cheers

Joss

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PlaStix,is this group build open to all comers?........I've only just joined this site & my skill level is wayyyy low. I haven't built any models since I was a kid & they all ended up as air gun/firework fodder. Still trying to find my way round this site,but would love to give this a go.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 2

Hi PlaStix,is this group build open to all comers?........I've only just joined this site & my skill level is wayyyy low. I haven't built any models since I was a kid & they all ended up as air gun/firework fodder. Still trying to find my way round this site,but would love to give this a go.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew and welcome to Britmodeller. Good to have you aboard and you may certainly be part of this Group Build! You are in at number 52.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix,that's great.........just got to think of something now!

I've found the FAQ page,so hopefully I'll get to grips with posting pics & stuff soon.

• Like 3

Oh dear, June 25th seems so far away, i really cant wait to start but iv promised myself im going to do all the elements in the allotted time. still not decided what they will be though lol.

• Like 1

Oh dear, June 25th seems so far away, i really cant wait to start but iv promised myself im going to do all the elements in the allotted time. still not decided what they will be though lol.

Yeah I know what you mean - I made the same kind of promise to make everything for the Vignette during the GB period but you could always do two and make something in advance for the second one - the more the merrier!

Edited by PlaStix

Not wanting to plug them but I use gws static grass and get good results. You get quite a lot in the box and it comes in a range of colours!

Also the garden is a good place to look, a lot of things can be used from there

Cheers

Joss

Or an unsuspecting neighbour's garden.

Cheers,

Andrew.

I've taken up modelling again after a 35yr gap .All my models bar one ended up going the same way as yours.... and that ONE is an Sdkfz 223 and yesterday my mother asked if I still wanted it. It's been in her attic since 1980. 'Of course I do!' I said.

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 3

Or an unsuspecting neighbour's garden.

I've taken up modelling again after a 35yr gap .All my models bar one ended up going the same way as yours.... and that ONE is an Sdkfz 223 and yesterday my mother asked if I still wanted it. It's been in her attic since 1980. 'Of course I do!' I said.

Reaguards,

Badder

Hi Badder

Yeah it was fun blowing them up,but I dread to think of the money I wasted! Found some of my old paints,needless to say they were solid. I'm amazed at how far the hobby has moved on since I used to do it,some of the mouldings are so detailed & the after market stuff is great,if a tad pricey. I think the internet is a double edged weapon,great for sourcing info & models,but credit cards & quick delivery mean lots of self discipline is needed.......my stash is already expanding!!

Andrew

• Like 2

my stash is already expanding!!

Welcome to the Dark Side... :wicked:

I'd also like to point out that your Stash should always be capitalised. As you are just starting out, you can get away with referring to My Stash. But sooner or later it will morph into The Stash.

At that point, you don't own it any more. The Stash owns you... :analintruder:

• Like 8

I'd also like to point out that your Stash should always be capitalised. As you are just starting out, you can get away with referring to My Stash. But sooner or later it will morph into The Stash.

Amen to that!

• Like 2

Lol!!.......oh crap,what have I got myself into??........better have a pre-emptive chat with the bank manager!

I just wish my hands could replicate the ideas in my head,seen so many fantastic builds that have given me such inspiration,wish I'd studied my school work as much as I've studied all the various build tips on-line,maybe then I'd be able to afford THE future stash!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

going to try some "felt pads" - got 4 for £2 from a local shop. they are 3"x1.5" (or there abouts) so going to use 3-4 of them... they have fine thread that may tease up for grass... if they dont work no great loss, can still try another approach.....

• Like 1

going to try some "felt pads" - got 4 for £2 from a local shop. they are 3"x1.5" (or there abouts) so going to use 3-4 of them... they have fine thread that may tease up for grass... if they dont work no great loss, can still try another approach.....

Sounds interesting.....any chance of a photo of them?

Sounds interesting.....any chance of a photo of them?

sure, next time i have my camera out - not sure they will work but I thought for £2 worth a shot

• Like 1

If you are still planning on making your own "grass" surface, get yourself a sugar shaker from a baking or department store, they look like a metal can with a mesh insert in the lid. It will make the layering of your grass material a lot neater and more even.

Also I'd avoid natural wood as it will warp over time, especially if you plan to add water based glues and/or paints. something inert will serve you much better in the long run, my favoured material is extruded polystyrene foam as used for insulating houses. If your joinery skills are up to it, you can always wrap some wooden moulding around it to give the finish you are after. Failing that, try something like thick (15mm or greater) MDF, though watch out for the dust when you cut it.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 3