S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Looks really good,esp the cockpit and cabin seating. Well done!

• Like 1

Just spent a happy hour or so reading through the thread from the start Aaron - more excellent work you're doing here! The interior is brilliant & the flightdeck looks superb! Looking forward to seeing more!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks ever so much guys. The comments are very encouraging.

Quite a few things have been going on at home so not much progress I'm afraid. The two fuselage parts have been glued together, the tail fitted, canopy fitted and the little front section (those with the Revell kit will know what I mean).

I've masked the canopy, first time using a pre cut set and I'm most impressed with the ease of it all. There's also been a generous amount of filler applied and some sanding, followed by some Dissolved putty. No pictures but maybe some soon; but current status is filling / sanding / filling / sanding and maybe more filling / sanding stage. I've also ordered a few sets of archers rivets, I'm hoping that the fuselage and sponsons will have had a coat of primer prior to these resin rivets arriving from the states.

Thanks

The two fuselage parts have been glued together, the tail fitted, canopy fitted and the little front section (those with the Revell kit will know what I mean).

I've masked the canopy, first time using a pre cut set and I'm most impressed with the ease of it all. There's also been a generous amount of filler applied and some sanding, followed by some Dissolved putty.

So what has happened to dem der pictures? It sounds like there were lots of photogenic opportunities there. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Thanks Colin, Theres a choice to use either PE or decals for the grills on the tail. I think the decal option may have been easier but I shall persevere with the PE - I need to try and blend the parts to the body of the aircraft. I've used dissolved putty (not seen in the above photos) so hopefully I can achieve a smooth transition. On closer inspection the windows are a little wonky (my fault) but look okay; when I build this kit again I think I shall mark the windows with black marker to make sanding a straight line easier. I am slightly concerned when the paint goes on though. There will be a straight block of colour just above and below the windows so this may highlight the wonkiness.

Thanks Colin, Theres a choice to use either PE or decals for the grills on the tail. I think the decal option may have been easier but I shall persevere with the PE - I need to try and blend the parts to the body of the aircraft. I've used dissolved putty (not seen in the above photos) so hopefully I can achieve a smooth transition. On closer inspection the windows are a little wonky (my fault) but look okay; when I build this kit again I think I shall mark the windows with black marker to make sanding a straight line easier. I am slightly concerned when the paint goes on though. There will be a straight block of colour just above and below the windows so this may highlight the wonkiness.

Aaron, maybe you could reduce the size of the windows slightly with the masking and get a straighter line that way? Just a thought.

Colin

Sorry Colin, not sure what you mean? Do you mean apply the masking further away from the edge of the windows, so the 'wonkiness' would be less obvious as the edge of the straight, painted, line would be further away?

Looking very nice, and very different from all the standard Sea Kings in the GB.

What has the kit been like to work on Aaron? I ask because I am interested in the Whirlybird S-62 and they are not cheap so I wondered if you think they are worth the money.

Keep up the good work mate.

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig,

Its difficult for me to give a neutral / unbiased description of the kit as I'm enjoying the kit but thats probably because of the subject if that makes sense? I'll try though... It is a nice kit but needs a fair bit of filler and I had to fit a shim along the seam on the bottom. That of course could be due to my lack of expierience with resin, a few other areas need filling like the cockpit area but most old kits are similar I suppose. But after fitting the shim and filler I've spent some time slowly sanding and polishing it up and it looks nice but the truth will be revealed when I get some primer on.

Im not sure when this kit was first produced but the detail on the fuselage halves is very soft. In certain lights you can see a couple of panel lines and quite easily tell its Revell roots; I reckon these will have to be re-scribed . The rivet detail is all lost probably due to fitting and blending the plug at the front.

regards the cost - personally I would say yes it is worth the money as you pretty much get a full kit. You do need a donor kit so that of course ups the total cost - but if you could get your hands on the just the clear parts for the Revel kit (not sure if the Airfix kit might work?), the tail rotor, main rotor hub and landing gear it would be cheaper of course. i suppose you could even try scratch building all those but a lot of work involved there...

bath time for the little one though so I better go, but can send you some more info about the kit later Craig.

• Like 1

Hi Aaron.

Did you end up ordering some rivet decals? If so, I was wondering what the delivery time is/was and if you had worked out just how many sheets you need to cover an S-61? :winkgrin:

I know - I've probably left it too late....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

I have ordered Cliff but I'm still waiting :( Not received a dispatch email yet either. I've ordered from Archers before but I'm sure the delivery time wasn't as long as I thought (IIRC). Last time I ordered I had a dispatch email from them; so far nothing yet...

Ordered on the 21st March. I've ordered 4 of AR88014; that should suffice any left overs I can use on some other builds (possibly the 330 puma I have on the shelf).

• Like 2

on something this big I would agree. a rivet wheel would take far too long. HGW is another company that provides positive rivets, I've never used them but I have heard good things.

• Like 2

Received a dispatch / shipping email from Archers not long after I posted earlier today funnily enough :)

Also changed modelling rooms to a bigger room :D it won't be permanent (when my daughters older she'll get that room and I'll get the old nursery). Been slowly organising it and should get two new desks on Monday.

• Like 1

Not really much in the way of progress but I'll post this just to show that I am still working on things.

A very light coat of primer to check all the seams, refilled where necessary and all that. Currently waiting for my rivet decals before I go much further on the fuselage; I may start re-scribing some of the panel lines.

16962397086_d4b9d9aa54_z.jpg

16780959067_6ae8370756_z.jpg

I've also started work on the main rotor. The S-61N main rotor was fitted with dampers to reduce noise vibration in the cabin (I think). Whirlybits provide some white metal and PE for this. I stuck them together last night but was'nt happy with how I fitted them so pulled them off and will do it again.

16780965197_bbc0361c18_z.jpg

The sponsons / undercarriage have seen some work too. some filler required on the sponsons (some small air bubbles on the resin but nothing severe). All have received a coat of primer. Like the fuselage parts Im waiting for resin rivets to arrive before I go any further on them.

16986985782_362a932ff5_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

Thank you Nigel. I sure hope I can attend this one. I'm convalescing after some more surgery but so far I'm not as uncomfortable / painful as last time so I should be able to attend. If I do attend I will bring this along with m (hopefully complete) alouette III and I suppose the EC-145 I've just started for the french fancy GB. I've been looking at my westland sioux (its been kept a box during the transition of modelling rooms) the other day and I really must finish this as theres not much left to do.

I note from the email that its model of the year as well. This will be good :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your Japanese fighter as well, the painting on that looks superb. Any joy with your Osprey decals?

cheers

Aaron

• Like 1