S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Just been looking through photos of various BEA aircraft; I've found a few that will help with the green but I must be honest I still struggle to see it myself bar one or two photos. But many thanks again Garry for pointing me in the right direction :thanks:

I had to laugh at this though. After finding out this information I showed my wife the photograph of G-AYOM that is in my original post and asked her what colour she thought it was. Without hesitation she said "green". After a pause I asked "seriously?", she replied "yes, its quite clearly green!". :blush:

sooo....new modelling tip for me is that anytime I'm unsure about the colour of something, I'll ask my wife. Reminds of a time we disagreed about the colour of a flower in our old garden, she must have been right about that...

• Like 2

It didn't photograph well and faded to a mucky patchy purple tint mat chalk blue

It's like BA landor that photographs almost white and certainly far lighter that it actually was. I have seen many models where Landor was reproduced as white and BOAC (Negus) blue when it was Pearl Grey and Midnight. Another one..Air Anglia...look at a pic of a F.27. That's very dark blue underneath, not black.

Photo are poor colour references

My career was as a graphic arts reproduction technician. Trust me on the colour.

• Like 1

That proves it Gary. I would have bet the house it was black on Air Anglia. Good job I didn't! How many shades of dark blue were those Gold Speedbird 'planes?

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all.

I've been slowly working on the interior.

Almost there...

Passenger seating is pretty much done, just needs a few touch ups here and there

16566656106_f7cd4f36b0_z.jpg

16406786209_39eecf2e10_z.jpg

I've started adding some details to the interior of the fuselage halves. just bits of plastic card. Still a fair amount of work needed but its getting there.

16592629475_fc92d88d34_z.jpg

15972847113_c6971877ac_z.jpg

Some head rests added to the pilots seats

16591975432_a40fb69f04_z.jpg

And some clear green sprayed onto the cockpit glazing.

15972837873_2c4c099655_z.jpg

cheers

Aaron

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 8

Aaron, those passenger seats look superb, set off superbly by the belts :thumbsup:

(My S-61 is on hold: too many builds on the go = disfunctionality for me. It's next up after the Moth. I shall be shamelessly attempting to copy most of what you are doing!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys and copy away Cliff; although I've guessed most of this - I didn't find the reference shots I was after until most of the interior was done. I've since learnt that the double seats were designed to fold up to allow freight and that there was a double seat facing aft behind the cockpit bulkhead. Also that partition didn't exist on the BEA aircraft at this time (maybe later? maybe never? - but it did exist on some Norwegian ones). I've not let this bother me though.

I've been focussed on my alouette III build for the lesser built airforce GB but have managed to get a little more done on this. I think the cockpit and cabin area are pretty much done although the latter could do with a few tweaks. The side interior walls have been primed and have seen some paint. waiting for this to dry then I can apply a grey blue for the top half. No photos of this, but will have prior to gluing the two halves together. I've applied some washes and highlights and some MIG powders to help enhance the look of worn rubber matting but you can't really see it in the photos. but it looks alright.

Photos of cockpit and cabin area. You may be wondering why there is some turf at the entrances. Well, this was my attempt of creating a worn carpet that was on the baggage access doors. I thought it looked too flat after painting and in hindsight wished I had glued down some sand paper or something. I remembered I had some green flock in the garage so brushed that on and used some vallejo washes to dirty it up a bit. Not my greatest idea as I ended up watering down the PVA glue and lost some of the flock. The one at the front needs a bit of attention but the air-stair entrance looks okay. So thats why there are patches of turf on my S-61N.

16695924905_94d12cf30a_z.jpg

16488635737_4f1016ab21_z.jpg

16075977093_c896802dd7_z.jpg

16075973793_82ecc53909_z.jpg

cheers for looking

Aaron

• Like 8

thanks guys

and yes hopefully not long for the fuselage to get buttoned up. I've already dry fitted and taped them together, I may have ran around the living room making "phup phup phup phup phup phup" noises too but less said about that the better :blush: . It was a long long long time ago when I last seen one of these up close and I can't really recall the size but in model form it looks monstrous (I 've seen the coastguard ones offshore once or twice but it was on another support vessel along side the rig so hard to judge the size) . However, I have a stalled super puma build and placed them next to each other and theres not as much difference in length as I had thought there would be? Think I'll google the dimensions of the S61-N compared to the S-92. I just had in my head that these thing were huge but maybe not as big as I thought.

• Like 2

Thank you Martin

Yeah, think you're right. I think the 61-N is maybe narrower, or at least looks more narrow which gives the impression of a longer aircraft. Theres not much difference between the 61 and the 92 either. 17.96m and 17.10m respectively.

Trying to think of a joke involving a hover-mower, but failing miserably...

Re: those Astroturf carpets: keeping them in trim would be a lot less bover with a hover (mower).

• Like 1

Just a small update. The fuselage side walls have been painted and seen a coat of varnish. I've placed a couple of decals to represent 'EXIT' signs and what have you. I may even add a handle for the escape hatch at the back.

16527812900_7467ecaf88_z.jpg

16715230425_6fa1ef14b0_z.jpg

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 4

thanks guys.

Minor update: Cabin area glued on one side. Cockpit not yet glued. I'm going to need quite a few clamps to hold this together when the two halves are joined I think.

16517187957_8c557c7c3a_z.jpg

cheers

Aaron

• Like 10