S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Cheers Henrik, I've just had a wee scroll through prime portal. The last one you sent its good. Gives me something to work with.

Thank you all too. I've seen your seats Colin and they look mighty fine. I like your jig you made for them too and all the other bits too in fact.

• Like 1

Hello again

Just been slowly plodding away at the interior.

I've made up those whirlybirds seats - very simple / easy and look quite nice. I do feel a bit bad as a number of you have scratched your own seat details and they look fantastic - I'm just being lazy.

IMG_0691_zpssv4gzowd.jpg

Although they look rather nice, I note that the S-61N seats (that I have seen) have a notch in the middle, So I modified these ever so slightly (cut part of the PE framing and filed a notch). I'll probably add some head rests too.

IMG_0702_zpsrf0hqio8.jpg

I have the Eduard PE set designed for use with the cyber hobby kit (eduard 73 465). Last night I was looking at it and through the instructions to see if I could use anything. I then found myself folding bits of PE and just went with it (strange, sometimes I can't stand the thought of playing with PE and other times I find it quite therapeutic - last night was the latter) - anyway I came up with this

IMG_0692_zpszssgcnhi.jpg

IMG_0694_zpso43jlmws.jpg

IMG_0703_zpsaqzytwvu.jpg

The base is what whirlybits provide in the kit. It's a moulding of the Revell one with the instrument panel details sanded off and an extension piece to accommodate the different style of bulkhead. It was nice enough to use but I quite liked all the little details on the eduard set - most of it will be hidden and maybe not correct for a civilian S-61 but hey, I had fun playing with it :)

I have a question about the main instrument panel - there will be a rather large space behind the panel itself and above the pedals - whats this area like in real life? Is it quite open and the wires / cables for instruments visible or is it covered by panels?

The floor has been cut out and I have also made a start fitting the cabin seats. Whirlybits provide you with a section of plastic card and a template for the floor plan and the tail bulkhead. The other evening at my modelling club meeting I was discussing this kit with one of the members - Although this is a conversion set you pretty much get a full kit. I think the only bits you need from the donor kit are the canopy, wheels, tail rotor and main rotor hub. Pretty good I think.

IMG_0690_zps8wjzlijp.jpg

I think there are some differences between the seat plan provided with the kit and how G-AYOM would be fitted. I'm still thinking about this

Anyway, thats it for now.

Thanks for looking

Aaron

The Sea King just has the the backs of gauges with cables etc.the skin is the barrier at the front.

Another good looking S-61 wip too!

• Like 1

Thank you guys,

That Airfix kit is very basic Cliff; I'm sure the new tool will be good though :) looking forward to that.

Well I thought I'd finished the cockpit and ready for primer although thinking about it now I'm probably best to fit the broom cupboard and step before this. I've added some bits of wire but it was rather dark so its hard to see in the photo. I also removed the moulded cable looms on the bulkhead and replaced with multiple strands of twisted wires.

The instrument panels are the pre-painted ones from the eduard set (probably not suitable for this type of aircraft but I'd be amazed if anyone will notice a dial in the wrong place or an extra switch). The lower panel was a light grey colour so I applied a wash of dark grey, enough to change the colour but still allow the switches to be seen. I've covered them up with masking tape though so you can't see anything at the moment ( the tabs are to help remove the tape after painting).

IMG_0704_zpsidsqkovu.jpg

IMG_0705_zpse31pp2cs.jpg

IMG_0706_zpsl1hdphif.jpg

cheers

Aaron

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 2

Blimey it takes me back looking at that,only the colours make it look wrong! Hurry up with the black! SK's were black anyway. looks good. I remember the leccies with the Binnacle wiring it and installing the gauges on the bench. The weight of it is suprisingly heavy.

• Like 1

Finished the passenger area and cockpit (except the pilot seats - head rests to make)

A lot of this is educated guess work, but chances are its not strictly correct for the era. I've not been able to find any interior shots of an S-61N from the 70's (in particular North sea fit). I did find some from probably the late 80's early 90's and most were Norwegian as well. The partition adjacent to the front baggage hold was something I seen from a Norwegian aircraft; I don't know for certain if G-AYOM had this but I think the problem is that different operators had different trim fits. I thought it added some interest though so stuck it in. The panel on the right hand side of the baggage hold (on the cockpit bulkhead) is again added for interest but may not be correct for the era. Its inspired by another Norwegian aircraft and just my experience sitting in the back of an S-92. I used some etch from a Bell 47 which I had spare (cut the bottom section of the instrument panel as it had suitable bumps) to depict a sort of comms set that I've seen the engineers plug into to chat with the pilots on the S-92. Being as this is a Sikorsky too, I thought it would be similar.

The seating arrangement is pretty much as per the instructions except for a double seat that the instructions say should be placed at the front, port side facing aft. Looking at the photos of G-AYOM and other offshore S-61N's, I think this area was left empty (in one Norwegian chopper there was a cabinet fitted here but I decided against that as it was a more recent photo, older photos show no cabinet. My Dad mentioned that on some aircraft the back two seats were replaced with a toilet. Apparently a sort of porta-loo with no privacy - These aircraft were flown in the days before flight suits were mandatory for passengers, so easy enough to relieve oneself on the way to the rig without having to undo your onesie. I thought it would be interesting to fit the toilet, but couldn't find and pictures (I honestly thought a photograph of an S-61N toilet would exist somewhere on the internet). I'm sure its just a hole with a splash tray around it but decided to just go with the seat...

Anyway, I've babbled on enough. Here are some photos. I've applied primer (tamiya grey out of the rattle can) and its currently drying. I'm pleased how its turned out under the primer. No photos of the primed partsI'm afraid.

IMG_0716_zpsbwxsxho5.jpg

IMG_0717_zpstyvdptdx.jpg

IMG_0718_zpswvudia1h.jpg

IMG_0719_zpskco5h1zd.jpg

IMG_0720_zpsr8kexsaz.jpg

IMG_0721_zpsaztvbykq.jpg

IMG_0722_zpskv1qq4dd.jpg

IMG_0723_zpscm3kqpec.jpg

IMG_0725_zpsjvw3i0rm.jpg

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 6

That seat installation looks magnificent. Having fondled those seats a little bit I feel really connected with this build. Great work milktrip. I presume you are going to open up the side windows? (of course you are but I had to ask). Spot on precision modelling there for us all to enjoy.

• Like 1

thanks guys :)

yes Nigel, the windows will be opened up :P (although, I sometimes get ahead of myself so every chance I might forget :D I'm going to add some detail to the fuselage walls, so will remove the windows then. I should be at the club meeting in March; not sure how far along this will be but if the fuselage is closed up I postpone the masking so you can have a look inside.

• Like 2

thanks Henrik.

Yes, there is a bit missing. My heavy hands snapped a bit off :oops: I couldn't find the other bit in the box but I'm thinking of cutting a section from the Revel (donor kit) to replace it

not sure how far along this will be but if the fuselage is closed up I postpone the masking so you can have a look inside.

That will be a nice treat for us all. Its always good to have a final look before close up.

• Like 2

Thanks Colin, Sorry to hear that :(

I've been wondering about the colours for the interior and I found this photo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhs/3167466105/

Not very luxurious :jealous: but considering their destination I don't think it would really matter if it was trimmed in gold leaf and the finest velour; you still wouldn't be excited.

Its BEA, 1974 and from Shetland so without a doubt used for North Sea ops. I actually quite like the different seatbelts. The seats I have used are probably too high but I'm not particularly fussed about that. If I had found this photo prior to start I may have decided to file the seats down a bit.

BEA Flying Jack was not blue

It was green

It tended to faded to a purple tinged patch matt bluish colour but it was green...the colour was called Peacock Green and it must bet the most misrepresented colour ever in modelling.

Spent hours at the time trying to get the right colour mixed to match what was looking at up at the airport.

BEA had so much trouble, they stopped repainting RS aircraft for a while and repainted the FJ in a new paint to try and improve on the unstable colour

This looks about right

http://www.f-rsin.com/pages/collection/Trident%203B.html

• Like 1

Looking good, but how much of the donor kit will get used? Looking at it is it just rotors and wheels?

Keep up the good progress!

Thank you. Not much at all ha ha. The canopy, wheels, and tail rotor. Not the main rotor as the Revell kit has composite rotor blades, the S-61N did not.

BEA Flying Jack was not blue

It was green

It tended to faded to a purple tinged patch matt bluish colour but it was green...the colour was called Peacock Green and it must bet the most misrepresented colour ever in modelling.

Spent hours at the time trying to get the right colour mixed to match what was looking at up at the airport.

BEA had so much trouble, they stopped repainting RS aircraft for a while and repainted the FJ in a new paint to try and improve on the unstable colour

This looks about right

http://www.f-rsin.com/pages/collection/Trident%203B.html

Thanks as well Garry; interesting to know. That maybe explains the interior shot in the link I posted above; I did wonder why the seats were a green colour - seemed a strange choice but makes a bit more sense now.

My Dad came round bearing gifts :D Training notes of the S-61 (good drawings!!) and also notes about the SAR conversions they did (perfect for next build of this)

Edited by milktrip

Looking at the seat height, it would appear form the straight portion at the bottom of the legs, that thye were supposed to be dropped into holes. It would certainly cure the height issue. However once you've got it all buttoned up I'm sure it will look good. Interesting input re the green.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Colin,

Yeah I think you're right. If I had spent more time I could have drilled out all the holes but yep, it will go unnoticed when buttoned up - one to remember for next time though.