S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Radio silence on the Osprey decals I'm afraid although they did say 4 to 8 weeks as they have to get them from Japan (why Amerang could not do the same I have no idea - lazy ****). Its just coming up to the four week mark now, I just hope its not the full eight weeks or it won't be ready for Perth. :weep:

• Like 1

Great work on the windows and doors Aaron. I don't envy you and the riveting exercise. I had a job and a half with my 32nd Lynx in the Lynx STGB last year. But good luck the Archers rivets they work very well even if some are misshapen.

Colin

• Like 1

Just came across this thread. I was very familiar with EI-SAR and it's sister ships in recent years. It was a quiet day indeed if one or other didn't pass over on a mission to the nearby hospital pad or having one drop in for fuel at an airport I was operating out of. Hard to believe they're gone. Coincidentally as I type this one of its replacements, an S92 has rumbled past on it's way to the hospital.

I will definitely follow this build with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I had a look at your lynx build Colin and its brilliant. Very different which I like; but yeah the rivets - I'm sure I'll be satisfied once finished but it will be a monotonous task. However, saying that I've just spent the last two evenings re-scribing and it was quite therapeutic, maybe the rivets will be the same...maybe not :)

Thank you Rick & Noel :) I've really enjoyed this kit and I'm looking forward to building it again as EI-SAR. I hope I can do it justice

Theres some great walk around photos of EI-SAR (and others here) thought I'd post the link

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269680&st=0

• Like 2

Hello,

Some progress shots. This week I have mostly been re-scribing and applying resin rivets. I think I may have over done the panel lines and they are quite trench like (This may end up looking like a diecast). After re-scribing I applied a generous amount of tamiya primer in the hope that some of the panels would get filled. I also noted after primer that there were a couple of sections that needed a bit more filler so sorted these out.

After the primer had dried I went about applying the resin rivets as the postlady kindly passed on my Archer rivets :)

They are a bit wonky and on the first couple of strips I was cutting the lengths to size before wetting them. I seen the errors and time wasting of using this method so opted to half the strips, apply the decal and any left over bits were cut and positioned on the next section. My trench like panel lines were quite handy for this as I had a nice deep guide for cutting the rivet decal :) . Although a very time consuming task it was quite nice to just chill and lay these on. I've done pretty much all the vertical rivets on one side (apart from the engine cowlings and tail, I will leave these until the rest is done). I've just started on the vertical rivets onto other side. I can then look at doing the horizontals then the engine cowlings and tail as I mentioned.

16821496787_abec230965_z.jpg

17028048171_6b49b8c38d_z.jpg

my little pile, doesn't look like much really when you consider the amount of time taken.

17002913706_055400ae12_z.jpg

well, lemon sole goujons for lunch then maybe some more riveting

cheers

Aaron

• Like 5

Looking good, the Archers rivets are pretty subtle under a coat or two of paint but will certainly add a level of interest. Was there no surface detail before you intervened?

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Very little Nigel. The fuselage pieces are a cast of the Revell kit with the addition of the plug at the front, windows and doors. Some of the original Revell panel lines could be seen but were very faint and pretty much disappeared after a coat or two of primer. Some of the surface details, like rivets and that are still intact on the engine cowlings; during the making of the cast I would imagine all the surface detail would be lost during sanding to blend everything together. And of course some people prefer not to have all this surface detail. When I was looking at some walk around photos, the S-61N doesn't really have much noticeable panel lines, well not as much as I had scribed, but a lot of rivets. lots an lots. Like you say under a coat of paint they will be very subtle but will add that level of interest and I think they will work well (not too in your face) for this kit / scale.

In addition the new tail fin piece has no surface detail. But personally when I buy a kit like this I'm expecting that extra work is required to get things to fit, blend in with the donor kit so adding things like surface detail (which is a personal choice) is something I would not grudge doing anyway. You are given a set of PE in the kit to add further details to the surface anyway so I see no problem spending time adding the rivet details as it is part of the same detailing process; all part of the hands on fun in my opinion. Although as a choice for a GB, maybe not the best due to the timeframe :) But I'm sure you could sill make a fantastic looking model without all this extra work. If that all makes sense?

cheers

*just an extra bit about the original surface details. I can bring one of my untouched 61-N kits and the Revell fuselage pieces for you to look at on Tuesday. What I'm assuming are foot holds to access the transmission deck were part of the surface details and in my second photo the details around the engine cowlings are like that in the box, I just went over them again.

• Like 1

Congratulations with the rivets Aaron. I was going to suggest you scrub round them in this scale but hey they look good. As you say very time consuming, thanks for the plaudits on my Lynx. The Revel kit is no where near as good detail wise as the Airifix kit but I did enjoy the build.

Colin

• Like 1

Cheers Colin, Almost finished the vertical ones on the other side but thought I'd give it a rest to keep my sanity intact :) .

As relaxing as it is applying these the repetition can be quite tiring.

You are doing a great job with the rivets Aaron (mine are on the way now).

Have you given any thought as to how resistant they will be to masking tape?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Cheers guys

I've not really Cliff :( But I'm glad you mention it. After I have finished I would be applying another coat of primer anyway which should hopefully keep them fixed. The only other time I've used these are on the alouette but I didn't have to mask over them. They have been applied onto a primed surface which should help them 'bite' and I've been brushing each section with micro-sol once positioned (but micro-sol doesn't have adhesive qualities does it? just softens the film). I'm now wondering if it might be prudent to apply a coat of Klear after all of them have been fitted then prime, then paint. All those layers tough may defeat the purpose of applying the rivets so I might just airbrush the Klear and primer, rather than brush Klear and rattle can of primer. :hmmm:

How did I miss this build thread!? A S-61N, one of my favourite helicopters! A brilliant subject to build Aaron. I do have some where on the shelf of doom a 61 that I started building using a couple of Airfix Sea King kits using the old Airfix Magazine article. I did take it into the club one night years ago. I am looking forward to watching your build, maybe have to dust off some my part build helicopter projects. I am sure I have some old photos of G-AYOM plus quite a few of the other S-61N's used by Bristow's, British Airways Helicopters and North Scottish Helicopters when I was working at Sumburgh. I will have to do some digging and see what I can find.

Martin

• Like 1

Thank you Martin,

The photographs sound great!

I never had the pleasure of flying in these, although I did get to walk around one when I was younger. I hope you do re-start your helicopter builds. I'll be bringing this along to the club night tomorrow so that might inspire you dust them off :)

• 4 months later...

Another nice paint job - I said those rivets would be fine - and they really look the part with some paint on. I expect this will be finished when you bring it along to club night, I look forward to seeing it. :bye: