S-61N. C/N 61143 G-AYOM BEA helicopters (1/72)

Hello,

C/N 61143 was the first S-61N - rebuilt from a S-61L in 1962! As far as I’m aware 61143 was one of the longest serving commercial S-61 ( I think the oldest was an S-61N C/N 61032).

C/N 61143 is unique in that it is the only Japanese-built S-61N in the world. Apparently Mitsubishi were going to set up an S-61N production line for the Asian market. This helicopter was built as a demonstrator in anticipation of a healthy demand. The orders were not forthcoming and this was the only one built by Mitsubishi in the end, Mitsubishi gave it the C/N of M61-001.

61143 was purchased by BEA around 1970 and given the registration G-AYOM. It operated from Aberdeen airport (Dyce) ferrying passengers to a from North Sea Oil & Gas installations. She was in service with British Caledonian Helicopters, British Airways Helicopters, British International Helicopters, Brintel helicopters and Bond/ CHC Scotia. I believe it was upgraded at Bond / CHC for SAR operations as part of a contract with the Irish Coastguard. 61143 was registered as EI-SAR and served with the Irish coastguard from 1998 until 10th December 2013 where it stood it’s last SAR watch before being replaced by the new S-92A.

A while ago my Dad heard a rumour that Sikorsky where considering having 61143 as a sort of museum piece, or something like that. However, it would appear that 61143 may have another lease of life - Carson helicopters have purchased a number of old S-61’s and refurbished / upgraded them. According to helis.com database 61143 was in Seaforth docks May 2014, ready for shipping to Canada for conversion for a logging company.

As a tribute to this long serving aircraft I’ll be building 61143 as she was around 1974, serving BEA & the North Sea Oil & Gas industry from Dyce using the Revell 1/72 kit, whirlybirds S-61N conversion set and whirlybirds S-61N seats.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/BEA-Helicopters/Sikorsky-S-61N-MkII/1443571/M/

Cheers

Aaron

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 3

Thanks you very much guys, I'm glad this has created some interest.

I wasn't certain if my Dad had worked on G-AYOM but after a rummage I found some photos and looks like he did during the re-fit at CHC Scotia / Bond. I knew he had worked on EI-CNL (formaly G-BXAE); I was going to build this in the IMES colours just prior to leaving CHC scotia for Ireland as part of my Dad's retirement build project (yes, I'm still do this even though I've become a little side tracked).

After seeing the photos of G-AYOM in the IMES colours I think I will build this rather than EI-CNL. Anyway, I can us this group build as a practice for project Dad retirement G-AYOM/IE-SAR.

Some of you may find these interesting. Some photos of G-AYOM When it was at Bond / CHC Scotia in Dyce (probably around 1997 - 1998) for re-fit/ upgrade to SAR operations, prior to being sent over to Ireland for its role with the IMES. My scanner is in the loft somewhere, so these are photos of photos I'm afraid.

I'm assuming this on on arrival; British International Helicopters but with CHC hummingbird logo at the front.

IMG_0628_zpsmk4pqudx.jpg

IMG_0629_zpslx8lc43j.jpg

an inbetweeny shot

IMG_0630_zpsuykuuaco.jpg

and finally equipped for SAR operations. This is still in Aberdeen (Dyce), don't let the sun fool you otherwise :)

IMG_0632_zpsqqznoaxq.jpg

IMG_0631_zpsxsrttj2q.jpg

The latter is quite interesting as you can just make out the registration EI-SAR, just above the tail wheel.

heres a close up. I think when I come to build the S-61N for my Dad I'll do it in the IMES colours as above.

IMG_0633_zpssr9gcarx.jpg

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

The BEA scheme is pretty cool Henrik. I'll post a photo of the kit soon, but the whirlybirds set comes with decals for a red square and a speed jack BEA S-61N. I do have a question that hopefully someone can answer. The whirlybirds colour call outs for the red square are Black on top, for the speed jack it says blue on top. The photo of G-AYOM in the link of my original post is that of the speed jack but to me it looks like black rather than blue. Is Black correct or is it a really really dark blue that almost looks black in an old photo?

Cheers

Aaron

I could be mistaken.... But to me it looks like the same dark blue as on the fuselage.. Would be a logical choice when the Helo was painted... http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-International-Helicopters/Sikorsky-S-61N-MkII/0334720/L/&sid=786da2dea498b72f5bf5f249db89b352

http://www.airliners.net/photo/BEA-Helicopters/Sikorsky-S-61N-MkII/1443571/L/&sid=786da2dea498b72f5bf5f249db89b352

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 1

Cheers guys :D it is fun ha ha.

I wasn't sure if the photo I originally looked at was maybe an interim period between the red square to speed jack changeover and kept it black then changed it to blue.

• Like 1

Not checked in a while. To be honest I forgot :doh: which is pretty bad considering I suggested the BM walk around to you only a few days ago for the alouette... :banghead:

The Irish coastguard will be very helpful in the future.

Cheers

A good choice there. Looking forward to these non-standard military types! I used to see the PZ-Isles of Scilly one flying around and always fancied to a version but never got round to the conversion sets. Will be following with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Well not long until the start so heres a photo of what I'll be using. I'll probably be using a PE set for the hobbyboss seaking to brighten up the cockpit.

IMG_0612_zpsio6itai6.jpg

sorry my work bench is a bit cluttered

cheers

Aaron

• Like 2