Dragon 1/72 King Tiger - Henschel Turret w/Zimmerit - Finished - photos in the Gallery and RFI section

PlaStix

Thank you Mick.

Only a small update on this one today as I've not had much time to spend on it. First I gave some areas of the wheels a Revell Anthracite wash:

16435208372_95175ffb4f_c.jpg

Then, once that was dry, I gave the wheels a dry-brushing of a lightened version of Humbrol 93:

16434379681_1d7e99d2f6_c.jpg

Finally I did the same on the sides of the hull where the wheels will be fitted soon:

16249888039_60bbacdcca_c.jpg

I just need to get the rims painted steel and add a bit of rust here and there and then I can get the wheels attached. Hopefully tomorrow!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Only one photo today but it represents quite a bit of work. I finished the bits of weathering and painting I wanted to do and then attached all the wheels:

16257878139_7ed58f7cfb_c.jpg

They all need more weathering but I will now wait until I'm weathering the whole tank after the main construction is complete. I'm not going to attach the tracks for a while but I did check they fitted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Thank you Mike. Yes these Dragon kits do tend to look to be of a bigger scale, I think, because of the rather fine detail.

Today's update -

Just messing about I decided to pop the upper hull on:

16269795988_7d8b31fc51_c.jpg

Seems to fit well and look alright.

The only thing I noticed is that, when I try to fit the tracks with this in place, the front mudguards make it really difficult to get them on. So I've decided the tracks will need to be fitted in place earlier than I intended. To this end I began to get them painted. Revell Anthracite first followed by a dry-brushing of Humbrol's Gunmetal:

16456551172_1a3c2f6101_c.jpg

16271587457_57cbc8a1d8_c.jpg

These now need some weathering before they're ready to fit.

While waiting for these to dry I started painting some of the other parts:

16271246249_e407b85d54_c.jpg

I've only used Anthracite with a dry-brushing of Gunmetal as I know it's not going to be seen through the grills on the engine cover:

16431487426_6f7c745ccf_c.jpg

And that's it until next week. Good fun so far!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Have you already cemented the 'drive' wheel Stix? I left mine 'free spinning' on my 1/35 so that I could feed the track through the cogs. If already fixed, could it be freed with a little persuasion? :fight::fight:

• Like 1

All looking very good thus far.

wimbledon above makes a good point about the drive sprocket, and adding it on only afterwards at the same time with the tracks. This depends though on how much tension the tracks have and how robust the drive sprocket attachment point is. If the latter is weak, the tension of the tracks could pull the sprocket back before the glue has set.

Not sure if you want to pour any money into this one, but you could hack off the front fenders and replace with Hauler PE.

HLX48140.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Have you already cemented the 'drive' wheel Stix? I left mine 'free spinning' on my 1/35 so that I could feed the track through the cogs. If already fixed, could it be freed with a little persuasion? :fight::fight:

Hi Wimbledon. Yes I have left the drive wheels unglued but, because there still isn't much of a gap, I'm concerned that while feeding the tracks in it may still strip some of the paint off. I think I can manage with them in place. Thanks for the suggestion though!

All looking very good thus far.

wimbledon above makes a good point about the drive sprocket, and adding it on only afterwards at the same time with the tracks. This depends though on how much tension the tracks have and how robust the drive sprocket attachment point is. If the latter is weak, the tension of the tracks could pull the sprocket back before the glue has set.

Not sure if you want to pour any money into this one, but you could hack off the front fenders and replace with Hauler PE.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack and thank you. As I mentioned above I think I'll still go with fitting the tracks earlier - I know how ham-fisted I can be with fiddly things!

With regards the fenders - they do look good but I think I will manage with the kit's version this time around. Apart from anything else I'm making this kit when I'm not at home and have the odd bit of time spare so I don't have much in the way of equipment available.

Hi guys,

that looks really good, these small Dragons are the mutts nuts..

Andy.

Thank you Andy. Yes this kit does look really good - just hope I can do it justice!

It's looking pretty impressive already Stix, and as always you've got a nice consistent finish to your brushwork B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew. In some areas these smaller kit are easier to paint with the old hairy stick than my usual aircraft. The only tricky areas on these tend to be those where there's lots of raised detail - especially when they are of different heights. I find I have to keep working over the areas in different directions.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Managed to get a little time on this project today. First off I started off by adding some of the weathering on the tracks:

16483131682_0433f467ca_c.jpg

This was done with some basic washes and there's still more to be done, especially on the insides.

Then, once they had dried, I test fitted them in place:

16296667010_647d2766a5_c.jpg

The fit seems basically okay and, once they are glued in place, I can get the fit closer to the wheels and give the necessary sag.

I also started work on the turret. First off I assembled the mount for the main gun - attaching the parts to the turret base:

16296386738_e4417d9ccd_c.jpg

Then it was time to assemble the turret onto it's base and fix on the front:

16297827869_23f530509b_c.jpg

I have to say the fit of the turret onto its base was not particularly good. Quite a bit of filler will be required. There were lots of gaps and it was quite difficult to keep the parts all properly aligned. I know Wimbledon said he had some issues with his Dragon Churchill but this is my third 1/72 Dragon tank and the first where there have been any fit problems.

Anyway it was still an enjoyable, if brief, modelling session.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Thank you Sean. Luckily the poor fitting parts will never be seen as they are mostly on the underside of the turret - but I'll still need to fill ithe area and get it looking okay because I know it's there!...............mmmmmm......

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Stix,

Hope you don't come across further ill fitting parts. As you know, my Churchill is testing my patience. I had believed the Dragon kits were top notch. Maybe a bit 'hit and miss' in 1:72? :shrug:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

Looking very impressive Stix,as I,ve said before love the quality of the WIP photographs rather than the quick table top "snaps" I,m guilty of!

Thank you Steve. The photos are only done in this way because the area I build these in is so grotty! I just slap a couple of pieces of A3 white paper down and take photographs in the same way I do at home. I think I'm quite lucky with the light quality on these though - it seems better than at home.

Hi Stix,

Hope you don't come across further ill fitting parts. As you know, my Churchill is testing my patience. I had believed the Dragon kits were top notch. Maybe a bit 'hit and miss' in 1:72? :shrug:

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Yes you may be right. I've added a couple of pieces today where the alignment is definitely a bit hit and miss. It may be because Dragon intend to have so many variants using some of the parts.

Only had a few minutes on this today - just a few parts glued into place on the hull and turret:

16305775769_2589fd80ed_c.jpg

16491045462_751d59e154_c.jpg

I'm going to affix some of the other parts that need to be added after painting.

Kind regards,

Stix

Managed to get a bit more done today. I have yet to finish weathering and attaching the tracks properly, but I couldn't resist doing some test fitting and taking some photos:

16315835298_9e52cb2124_c.jpg

16503565195_6b3b403a7a_c.jpg

16503563985_183d2d480d_c.jpg

16502551032_4da1520994_c.jpg

The moveable joint between the turret and the upper hull proved quite tight so I did a little sanding. Then once I'd done some filling and sanding in a couple of places I decided it was time for some painting. Humbrol's Desert Yellow, thinned with water and applied as usual by a flat, hairy stick:

16315830618_1817f0947b_c.jpg

More test fitting - this time with the paint on:

16503560625_0e8da253ea_c.jpg

16317646237_5b185f1a25_c.jpg

Then I decided it was time to get the engine glued in place:

16501828131_2104f87754_c.jpg

15883400993_4504280213_c.jpg

Followed by gluing the access hatch into the engine cover:

15883399903_edfa29c877_c.jpg

Before test fitting the cover over the engine:

16503555005_9e24260fdf_c.jpg

And that's where my time on this ran out today. Next I want to take the tracks off, finish the weathering on them and then get them fixed in place.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

Hi Sean. Thank you. Most of this was fairly straight forward to paint, especially as the areas are so small and have Zimmerit - it's only slightly trickier around those areas where there is lots of raised detail - paint can pool in corners, etc.

Kind regards,

Six

Thank you Rob. It is a little bit tricky at times!

Only a minor update today because I've only had a little time to work on this, but I have managed to get the tracks fixed in place:

15891107243_60f49dec4b_c.jpg

16324992419_5f06e170e7_c.jpg

16323804710_7b6df6fcb6_c.jpg

16485267026_c9455b0126_c.jpg

Next time I hope to get some more of the major assembling done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Looking good Stix, the tracks look fantastic.

Hi nimrod54. Thank you. Yes the tracks from Dragon are better than to be expected in this scale.

Ji Stix it's looking fantastic!

I'm watching and learning before my 1st tank build.

Cheers

Hi Pawel. Thank you for your kind comments and I'm looking forward to following your tank build. Having followed your other builds I know it will be great!!

great work

Thank you Mick.

Aye up stix.

Great job so far. Look forward to more.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve. Thank you for your kind comments.

Managed a bit of time on this again today. I started by drilling out the exhausts. You can see from the one on the right how they look before drilling:

16331736080_bffde0d4a2_c.jpg

Both done:

16331735750_a9b165c9b4_c.jpg

Then I decided it was time to get the engine cover and upper hull secured in place:

16518174912_207b190e04_c.jpg

Next up I attached the exhausts and the forward pair of engine grills, although these are not PE grills but rather solid plastic:

16332924859_9d2ecbed0b_c.jpg

Finally, in terms of construction I glued the rear mud guards in place:

15896627054_52619cd8a4_c.jpg

Then, as usual, I couldn't resist taking a few photos with the turret in place:

15896626684_f60a55e057_c.jpg

16331487188_01fbc6c54f_c.jpg

16518174342_8a12bb10c8_c.jpg

15899030123_eac62afdf9_c.jpg

Next time I need to get the PE engine grills attached, the main gun assembled and then it will be time for washes and some basic weathering before getting the camouflage painting started.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5