1/72 Airfix Defiant Nightfighters in Stereo - Pic Heavy

Excellent work, Stew! I may just have to get this kit - I do like the all-black night fighters.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, I was thinking it would be an easy scheme to do as well, but emboldened by Cookenbacher's experimentation in his Aleutian P40's thread I have been awake half the night hatching schemes of reckless Byzantine complexity as to how I can use hairspray and various shades of black, and thus bathe myself in glory or else make it more likely that I will ultimately embarrass myself... :hmmm:

I like to think of it as more of the horn of Rohan or somesuch, but yes.

Or perhaps the Sirens to Odysseos?

Regards,

Jason

You do as you like. For me it is a dog-whistle <_<

Edit: Dammit, forgot the photo again... here's the current state of the turrets:

DSCN2309.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Or perhaps the Sirens to Odysseos?

Regards,

Jason

No, no, sharkmouths could never be bad for us. Unless they're on actual sharks.

I would have been an absolute sucker for those Sirens, I probably would have been off the boat and swimming over there before they even started singing.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew, I'm a simple(-minded) man; to me black is black. If I do this aeroplane, I will get out my trusty Testors Model Master Black and airbrush the whole thing until the air about me is as black as the shadows of Hades themselves. Nothing Byzantine here (despite my half-Greek heritage).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Stew, I'm a simple(-minded) man; to me black is black. If I do this aeroplane, I will get out my trusty Testors Model Master Black and airbrush the whole thing until the air about me is as black as the shadows of Hades themselves. Nothing Byzantine here (despite my half-Greek heritage).

Regards,

Jason

Which of course is in all probability what I will realise I should have done afterwards... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Great Start Stew!

Looking really good.

Interested how you build quite a bit before painting....eg undercarriage stuff etc.

I always thought I had to paint that gear first.

The crew are an absolute work of art.

I have absolutely no idea how you do that! :banghead:

Keep up the good work mate...loving it :popcorn:

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Thank you Bruce,

Luckily the fit of the parts is good enough that I can just 'plug in' the undercarriage legs, the oil cooler and the radiator etc, prime them in situ, then remove them once the main colour scheme is done and detail-paint them separately, then stick them permanently later - I think nothing sticks as well as bare styrene and poly cement and it just means I don't have to scrape paint off the mating surfaces later, or stick them with superglue - both good options if the situation dictates, but not my favoured method when I do have the choice...

Of course I could be over-thinking things :shrug:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

See - you just can't shake the excellent work you did on those pilots. The rest of the build now, of course, has to be a masterpiece. No Pressure mind.

In a previous life, do you have any vague memories of painting ceilings in Rome?

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

On the subject of the Defiant aircrew, the ones that came with mine look like they have sunken chests. They would have never passed the medical. Still they are better than the ones which came with the Dornier. They all have holes in their chests. Taking "realism" a little too far, if you ask me ….... :o

• Like 2

Freakin' heck those pilots look good! Really excited for my kit arriving now :)

Cheers mate, you will love the kit I am sure :D

See - you just can't shake the excellent work you did on those pilots. The rest of the build now, of course, has to be a masterpiece. No Pressure mind.

In a previous life, do you have any vague memories of painting ceilings in Rome?

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I can't remember great chunks of my current life let alone any past ones :D

On the subject of the Defiant aircrew, the ones that came with mine look like they have sunken chests. They would have never passed the medical. Still they are better than the ones which came with the Dornier. They all have holes in their chests. Taking "realism" a little too far, if you ask me ….... :o

Yep, mine had some upper-torso-concavity issues too, I just ignored it rather than make any sort of effort to do anything about it :lol: - nobody seems to have noticed :D I've got the Dogfight Double set en route and already have one Dornier, I must have a look at the crew for it... :unsure:

Sprayed the primer on the main airframes:

DSCN2312.jpg

As the turrets are added as a complete unit right at the end, I thought I might as well finish them while I was waiting for the primer to cure...

DSCN2315.jpg

They came out pretty well I thought but they do remind me of the sort of rubbish aliens you used to get in 50's B-movies, or Doctor Who in the early 70's :lol:

My Cookie-inspired reckless hairspray weathering plan goes as thus; I am not sure how or if it will work but the worst case scenario is that I ruin two fairly cheap kits and lose face in front of my peers; the silver lining to that of course is that it might well have more entertainment value than if it works :D

Anyway, the first step is to spray the aircraft with enamel RLM66 Schwarzgrau (I used Phoenix Precision Paint for this, not that it is really relevant to anything but my understanding of the technique is that the underlayer of paint should not be water soluble):

DSCN2318.jpg

Unfortunately this coat revealed some previously unnoticed seam-issues that need a bit more work, so I will attend to that and respray the RLM66 once that is done...

After that has dried, then comes a few light coats of hairspray followed by Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black which once dried will be wetted and scrubbed off here and there to reveal the schwarzgrau underneath.

I'd appreciate any comments you might have if you can see some fatal flaw in this plan, or you might want to keep schtumm and watch me amusingly make a pig's ear of it :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Looking good, Stew! So your plan is a little more cunning than just closing your eyes and spraying them black until the airbrush bottle runs dry (that's my plan, if I ever get around to buying one, which I will eventually).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

DSCN2315.jpg

They came out pretty well I thought but they do remind me of the sort of rubbish aliens you used to get in 50's B-movies, or Doctor Who in the early 70's :lol:

Whatever, they look hard as nails to my inner ten-year-old. Give every soldier one of those, poof, the war's over, fellas.

• Like 7

Stew

Getting back to the aircrew; I never use them, but I can see that they might make a nice addition and welcome change for this kit. You may have sold me on the idea.

My kit is the dogfight double to. Excellent value in my opinion. However, I notice on the Dornier that there seems to be a colour mismatch between artwork and decals. I refer specifically to the decals indicated on the "stencil data" plan in the instructions.

On both the box artwork and the painting plan there are lines on the wings shown as yellow. However, if one compares the decal numbers (25,28,29,30,31 and 26,32,33,34,27) they are either white or alternatively red…but definitely not the yellow in the artwork.

Luftwaffe camouflage and markings not being one of my specialities I'll need to try and bottom what exactly is the correct colour for the aircraft depicted.

Edited by chaddy
  • Like 1

Looking good, Stew! So your plan is a little more cunning than just closing your eyes and spraying them black until the airbrush bottle runs dry (that's my plan, if I ever get around to buying one, which I will eventually).

Regards,

Jason

That coincidentally was my original plan too, I may rue not sticking to it, but if I don't try it I won't know :lol: (disclaimer: of course that does not mean to imply that I might try gargling with cellulose thinners 'just to see' :D )

Whatever, they look hard as nails to my inner ten-year-old. Give every soldier one of those, poof, the war's over, fellas.

Imagine the furore if you deployed a squad of those on the table at Games Workshop :lol:

Getting back to the aircrew; I never use them, but I can see that they might make a nice addition and welcome change for this kit. You may have sold me on the idea.

I can imagine if you have spent time and effort making the cockpit into a mini-work of art then you don't really want crew figures, however well moulded, covering up that work. If however like me you have done very little work on the interior apart from the most basic requirements, and the crew figures are reasonably well made, then they cover a multitude of sins of omission :D - I still think it is good that Airfix supply them (even the rather blobby ones you sometimes get, or the sunken-chest brigade); at least you get the choice to use them or not.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Just to let everyone know, I did not make any machine gun noises when I saw Stew's turrets.

OK, I did.

Your hairspray plan seems sound to me Stew, and I've done it one whole time. I used Wolwe's P-40 as a guide, he gives a nice detailed explanation in the RFI:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969574-the-flying-tiger-p-40c/

One thing I will mention: I applied the hairspray with a cotton bud to a few areas that I knew I wanted to chip, as I didn't want to weaken the entire top coat. The hairsprayed portions ended up affecting the top coat (not wrecking it, it just appears different than the rest), even where I did no chipping - you can see the resulting contrast on the bottom of my P-40. My suggestion is to apply the hairspray to the entire aircraft, or at least to large portions with a panel line or something separating it from the non-hairsprayed sections.

Other than that, it seemed to work just like everyone says it does.

• Like 1

I just thought I'd say that the crew look fantastic Stew; I don't think anyone else has noticed that.........

As the turrets are added as a complete unit right at the end, I thought I might as well finish them while I was waiting for the primer to cure...

DSCN2315.jpg

B*gg*r

I wos just formulating a side splittingly funny crack about Dr Who aliens - and I quote the post to get the piccie - and notice that you got there first :( Mind you everyone else would have got there before me anyway :)

Cracking work Stew, cracking thread - looking forward to the great black paint reveal......

• Like 2

Not my scale or period of interest but you're doing a grand job on what looks like a very nice kit.

Thank you very much Graham, it seems to be going okay and I'm enjoying myself, a pretty good result all round :D

Just to let everyone know, I did not make any machine gun noises when I saw Stew's turrets.

OK, I did.

Your hairspray plan seems sound to me Stew, and I've done it one whole time. I used Wolwe's P-40 as a guide, he gives a nice detailed explanation in the RFI:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969574-the-flying-tiger-p-40c/

One thing I will mention: I applied the hairspray with a cotton bud to a few areas that I knew I wanted to chip, as I didn't want to weaken the entire top coat. The hairsprayed portions ended up affecting the top coat (not wrecking it, it just appears different than the rest), even where I did no chipping - you can see the resulting contrast on the bottom of my P-40. My suggestion is to apply the hairspray to the entire aircraft, or at least to large portions with a panel line or something separating it from the non-hairsprayed sections.

Other than that, it seemed to work just like everyone says it does.

Thanks Cookie - I see Wolwe went for a three-layer spray :huh: - that man knows no fear :worthy: . I'm only trying to reproduce the effect of the lack of adhesion exhibited by 'Special Night' paint so that does include the whole airframe, I can spray it all so it will make things a bit simpler for me I hope... to be honest I have no idea how it will come out, I expect it to be either really good or completely pony, but it might just be a barely-visible variation in the paint colour in the end... anyway, should see in the next few days, I hope it works though, I bought a can of hairspray especially :D

I just thought I'd say that the crew look fantastic Stew; I don't think anyone else has noticed that.........

B*gg*r

I wos just formulating a side splittingly funny crack about Dr Who aliens - and I quote the post to get the piccie - and notice that you got there first :( Mind you everyone else would have got there before me anyway :)

Cracking work Stew, cracking thread - looking forward to the great black paint reveal......

Fritag, thank you very much, I was hoping someone would say something ;)

As for the Dr Who aliens, wellt that just proves that great - and simple - minds think alike :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew, so what's so wrong with gargling with cellulose thinners? Thanks to that, I no longer drink alcoholic beverages. And my breath smells cellulose thinner fresh!

Regards,

Jason

P.S. However, I don't advise gargling with dope thinner - ask me how I know!

P.P.S. Aren't those turret men appearing in the next Star Wars movie?

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Looking good Stew, and a great w.i.p so far. As regards the lads with the turrets,

they look like they could be early A.P.U's from the Matrix movies,

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 2

Hairspray should be fine, it works well with Tamiya paints although I've only used it over lacquers not enamels.

One thing to watch - you want to be careful when applying the top coat not to go gently and not let it go on too wet. Otherwise the hairspray can re-wet and sort of bubble leaving crazing or worse in the top layer. Cool for heavy weathering but not for aircraft.

Even if you're careful it can look a bit like the paint is swelling but it settles back down as it dries and still gives a nice smooth finish.

HTH,

Will

• Like 2