The Hungry End

I've spent a disturbingly high percentage of modelling time on the floor looking for 'twanged' parts. I tend to have a 90% rate of success finding the parts, so don't give up my friend.

Well, found two of the three. Monday being garbage pick up day, I just had to go through everything yesterday to rule out inadvertent discarding. I was modelling outside on the patio, and this morning it dawned on me ( about that time too - never figured that expression before ) that, not only was this the only place I had not subjected to the fine tooth comb, but that the gardeners also were coming today - the clock was ticking. So in the dim early light, with flashlight, I'm squirming around out there in the damp. Still have a row of stitches and staples in a thigh from a recent brush with the medical establishment, making getting all the way down difficult, and as soon as I managed that, the dogs figured "It's play time!" and were leaping and cavorting around my search grid.

The scary part, was these bits had not twanged anywhere, I just had not put them back in the box when I brought everything inside, and so had just fallen off the paperbag I was using as a work surface - so for almost a day I was in blissful ignorance that parts were missing.

So, I'll find out how successful my spares box is when working around this. Thanks for encouraging me to keep looking.

• Like 2

What I do with the thumbprints is simply wait till they harden, apply Mr. Surfacer 1000, and then wait for it to dry and wet sand out. Works amazingly well.

Sadly I don't have any on hand. But I will endeavor to acquire some in case of future MEK disasters. Thanks for the tip PC.

Well, found two of the three. Monday being garbage pick up day, I just had to go through everything yesterday to rule out inadvertent discarding. I was modelling outside on the patio, and this morning it dawned on me ( about that time too - never figured that expression before ) that, not only was this the only place I had not subjected to the fine tooth comb, but that the gardeners also were coming today - the clock was ticking. So in the dim early light, with flashlight, I'm squirming around out there in the damp. Still have a row of stitches and staples in a thigh from a recent brush with the medical establishment, making getting all the way down difficult, and as soon as I managed that, the dogs figured "It's play time!" and were leaping and cavorting around my search grid.

The scary part, was these bits had not twanged anywhere, I just had not put them back in the box when I brought everything inside, and so had just fallen off the paperbag I was using as a work surface - so for almost a day I was in blissful ignorance that parts were missing.

So, I'll find out how successful my spares box is when working around this. Thanks for encouraging me to keep looking.

Well I hope the medical work was superficial. We can't have you limping around while we build away, that would be bad for global morale.

Ignorance is truly bliss. I find myself often reminiscing of the recent blissful past, aware that I am fruitlessly wallowing in ignorance while momentarily staving off reality. If only we could live like a dog for a day, dreaming of rawhide and chasing squirrels in a treeless plain... or whatever the Human equivalent would be? Death by Snoo Snoo?

Great update mg, looks like you have had good output for your time!

Can't wait for more if its anything like that last two.

Rob

Thanks Rob, you are incredibly kind and I really revel in your friendly compliments.

• Like 2

That "weiner dog" is too cute! :D Hopefully these threads will inspire me to finish off my P-40B this weekend. I really haven't had any excuse not to finish it so far except I just haven't felt much like modeling recently. Snapping that gear strut on the F9F-2 really took the wind out of my sails (and mounting crises at work - but I think those finally ended yesterday with a major finale in which all of our hosted services went down for nearly two hours).

Thank you for all the encouragement, mate!

• Like 2

That "weiner dog" is too cute! :D Hopefully these threads will inspire me to finish off my P-40B this weekend. I really haven't had any excuse not to finish it so far except I just haven't felt much like modeling recently. Snapping that gear strut on the F9F-2 really took the wind out of my sails (and mounting crises at work - but I think those finally ended yesterday with a major finale in which all of our hosted services went down for nearly two hours).

Thank you for all the encouragement, mate!

Thanks, she is very sweet and a good natured pooch. Her sister on the other hand...

I haven't been modelling much either, just a bit of window masking and future application on my E. Nothing really to report. I got the upper wings on my N and left a gap at the chin so I don't have to shave the lower wing section where it meets the cowling. I think filling the seam is preferable to filing, sanding, checking, filing, sanding, polishing the protrusion. :)

Thanks for your encouragement too Casey, I hope the sun is shining wherever you are.

• Like 1

I won't be working on the P40 today, but I did make a little progress on that Turkish NF-5A (what a bloody awful kit, it actually seems worse than Academy's MiG-21 :D). My back started hurting while sitting on an un-padded bench in a Mexican restaurant having lunch with dear old Mum (bless her). Gonna fiddle around on the forums and catch up on some iPad games and hopefully it'll clear up but my modelling bench stool is hard plastic and the back just wasn't having it. Maybe go for a walk later - it's almost always sunny in Florida but usually it's accompanied by 95% humidity and blistering hell-heat (even in March). Today is cool and lovely, though!

• Like 3

Oh right, a Floridian! I suppose if I had dug deep enough in the memory banks then I would have remembered that fact. My Maternal Grandmother had a place in Largo which we visited occasionally, and my Fraternal Grand-parents split their year between Palm Beach and a sleepy lakeside community here in Ontario Canada. I bet you can guess which months they spend where. Since I am on a story telling bend;

In the year 2000 the whole family was at Nana's in Palm Beach, they had a super swanky condo on Singer Island and we cousins thought it would be fun to get tossed around by the rough waves coming in that day. We grew up in great lakes country so ocean surf was the next level. Fun and tiring, we had a great time until I whacked my head off a rock under the water and barely dragged myself on shore with stars birdies flying about my vision. No one noticed my near miss until I somewhat sluggishly indicated we should go in so I could lie down. I still laugh and shake my head at the innocent stupidity of my youth. We kept the incident from the adults to preserve the good times.

Today I was on "Patio assembly duty" and spent a few hours in the garage in -7C putting together our patio set in time for Spring, whenever that is. I was sure to test each one with a hot coffee in hand before trudging through the permafrost into the back yard. So in other words, no modelling was done.

I did however take out my decal collection and look for something I could cobble together to resemble a Spitfire FR. IX. I've a few of the AZ joypacks on the way courtesy of West Coast Hobbies (first time dealing with Rob, and I highly recommend it) and want a pink spitfire already.

Back on P-40's: I was saving the Sword K's as a "treat" for the finale of my builds, but after seeing PC struggle (no offense if that isn't the right wording, just how I perceived it) I don't think it will be a treat at all! I may sidestep into starting another project log style thread to cover some Spitfires and Seafires. Maybe some Tempests too! OK, OK, and Beaufighters and Mosquitos too. :)

Cheers all.

• Like 3

Back on P-40's: I was saving the Sword K's as a "treat" for the finale of my builds, but after seeing PC struggle

"Flail" is the word you're looking for here. I was flailing. However, I will say, if treated with care and respect, a Sword kit can be a pleasant kit; you just have to do a lot of test-fitting and sanding and so forth.

• Like 1

Hi MG and all, I have recently joined the Britmodeller forum and have read through this very interesting thread. It has struck a cord with me on many levels as one of the 'lone modeller' types.

I am also a serial type modeller who gets fixations with aircraft I thought it was just me!

I am completing my 8th and 9th FW 190 type in 1/72 scale since January this year. I have sneaked in two Me 109 along the way. I have four new Airfix 190's to go and a lot more Me 109's lined up.

I love the variety of the of colour schemes if WWII German fighters and make them two at a time.

They will go along side my 11 P47's. which in turn dwarf my set of 7 Fokker D VII's. etc etc

I love love these WIP threads like yours MG it keeps me in touch and it is good to pick up tips and techniques so keep going it is much appreciated.

Ps my username refers to one of my many handicaps when modelling :-)

Andrew.

• Like 4

I did however take out my decal collection and look for something I could cobble together to resemble a Spitfire FR. IX. I've a few of the AZ joypacks on the way courtesy of West Coast Hobbies (first time dealing with Rob, and I highly recommend it) and want a pink spitfire already.

Back on P-40's: I was saving the Sword K's as a "treat" for the finale of my builds, but after seeing PC struggle (no offense if that isn't the right wording, just how I perceived it) I don't think it will be a treat at all! I may sidestep into starting another project log style thread to cover some Spitfires and Seafires. Maybe some Tempests too! OK, OK, and Beaufighters and Mosquitos too. :)

Cheers all.

Exquisite taste there MG, I have two mozzies to get done after I (actually finish this flipping Hampden) have done(need to start it first) my spit VB/c so if your taking votes... But the pink spit would be a treat aswell, for the upcoming little one or just for you?

Rob

• Like 1

"Flail" is the word you're looking for here. I was flailing. However, I will say, if treated with care and respect, a Sword kit can be a pleasant kit; you just have to do a lot of test-fitting and sanding and so forth.

Sometimes you just have to get medieval on a kit. I am mostly about those fillets. It does so much for the look of the plane. Test fit and dry rub it is!

Hi MG and all, I have recently joined the Britmodeller forum and have read through this very interesting thread. It has struck a cord with me on many levels as one of the 'lone modeller' types.

I am also a serial type modeller who gets fixations with aircraft I thought it was just me!

I am completing my 8th and 9th FW 190 type in 1/72 scale since January this year. I have sneaked in two Me 109 along the way. I have four new Airfix 190's to go and a lot more Me 109's lined up.

I love the variety of the of colour schemes if WWII German fighters and make them two at a time.

They will go along side my 11 P47's. which in turn dwarf my set of 7 Fokker D VII's. etc etc

I love love these WIP threads like yours MG it keeps me in touch and it is good to pick up tips and techniques so keep going it is much appreciated.

Ps my username refers to one of my many handicaps when modelling :-)

Andrew.

Hey Andrew Bear Paw, thanks for dropping in with your admission of serial affliction. You will fit in just fine here. I'll be on the look out for a WiP if you decide to start one, we tend to lend support in a 360 degree rotation here and adding to the circle of trust isn't hard. Sounds like you have a great little collection going, I think we'd be richer people if we got to see it at some point!

Exquisite taste there MG, I have two mozzies to get done after I (actually finish this flipping Hampden) have done(need to start it first) my spit VB/c so if your taking votes... But the pink spit would be a treat as well, for the upcoming little one or just for you?

Rob

No, I think my collection will remain "Daddy's toys" unless I have one of those cracks in my parental armour that enables the kids in my future to have whatever makes me them happy. Judging from family history this may be the case, though typically the children on my side of the family don't abuse the puppy-dog eyes trick to get what they want too much. Too much.

I just have all my British stuff out at the moment, everything else is packed away for the foreseeable future. I left out my models which I was most interested in finishing, but I do have a few odd balls hanging around too which arrived in my possession after the major overhaul started here at Maison Modelglue. The Eduard dual combo profipack La-5fn should get here soon, and a BF-110G has arrived and awaits proper fondlage. The J1N1 Gekko from Revell Takara is also hanging out, but I think a donor Fujimi kit might be required as the cowls are questionable. I built the Fujimi kit (from a started and abused eBay steal) a while back but lacked reference and so just did a whiffer out of it here.

That's all for now, maybe later today I can report some masking done on the N.

• Like 4

Sometimes you just have to get medieval on a kit. I am mostly about those fillets. It does so much for the look of the plane. Test fit and dry rub it is!

Yes, as usual, being married men, we're already familiar with the routine, rimshot, etc. Basically the trouble spots are the intake fronts and backs, the fuselage wing root to lower wing piece join (one side is I think a trifle deeper than the other, causing the upper wing surface on that side to stand excessively proud), the "quarterlight" windows, and the back of the lower wing piece and how it meets the rear underside of the fuselage. Oh, and as Cookie suggests, simply omit the wheel well boxes. They will never fit and you'll go mad, it will be a shame.

• Like 3

Oh, and as Cookie suggests, simply omit the wheel well boxes. They will never fit and you'll go mad, it will be a shame.

Good to note. I think I filed that one for later after watching the two of you have a go at it. Sidelights, quarterlights, I don't know what to call them. I think I made the leap to the automotive term "backlight" when concocting "sidelights". Not that it was a good name, it was just something.

I never get mad, just a bit crazy now and then.

• Like 1

Florida and Ontario, I can think of much worse places in which to split a year! I'm no fan of Florida, though. Even in the middle of a Moscow February, I don't ever remember thinking, "Gee, I wish I was back in Florida." Bit sick, I don't deny it, but that's the way I am. I do remember getting a bit depressed after not seeing the sun one time for over a month during that Moscow winter. I definitely wasn't used to that. I think my then-girlfriend had disappeared off to Siberia claiming a "lost passport" during that time, so it may have contributed. Ah well, it was a decade ago now.

I've been bloody busy at work, but it's going well at the new job, so I cannae really complain (sorry, I'm dropping into Glaswegian because I had a few pints with my mate from Glasgow tonight :P).

Glad you lads are keeping up the work in my absence! It really is nice to "model vicariously" until I get myself sorted out again on the hobby front. :)

• Like 2

"A lost passport led me to Siberia" - sure wish I could claim that. At best, an expired passport kept me out of Cuba and I had to settle for Taxco and Acapulco ( A great alternative as it happened )

MG - Thanks for the good thoughts.The stitches are out, and despite a small, but decreasing limp, I am on the mend. The dermatologist was so insistent I not bend my knee, I have spent two weeks pretending I was in a cast. The initial obnoxious thing they wanted to cut out of my thigh was the size of a finger nail, but after they were done, ( and this is L.A. after all ) they insisted on cutting out huge helpings of flesh on either side ( turning a 5 inch incision into a 12 inch one ) so when I healed, the flesh on the leg would all be even. There is a State Law after all that one may never look old or ugly. As negative and angry as I can get, I always come back to "Gotta love L.A."

By the way - really, really nice address in Palm Beach. Everyone thinks West Palm Beach sounds good, but for the cognoscenti, Palm Beach is where one would choose to be.

• Like 4

There is a State Law after all that one may never look old or ugly.

I've long been afraid of going to California for this reason. Do I have to wear a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and a jungle hat with an "I (heart) Iowa" pin on it if I go?

• Like 3

My wife sings to her birds regardless of whether or not I'm about, but one of my great alone-time pleasures is to (wait, does that sound gross?) watch terrible old B-movies on youtube -- which I can play through my TV -- into the late hours. That, a frozen pizza, and some Diet Dr. Pepper, and I have everything I need. This is why I'm married, so I can't do that every night and destroy myself thereby.

I hope you cook said pizza first.

"Gotta love L.A."

By the way - really, really nice address in Palm Beach. Everyone thinks West Palm Beach sounds good, but for the cognoscenti, Palm Beach is where one would choose to be.

You really, really do.

They've since swapped condos to the other side of the inter-coastal, but it promises to be no less impressive. I haven't been to visit since they "down-sized" but their place on Lake Huron is an annual retreat. I might try to get up there late spring before the heat, bugs, and offspring turn up. :)

I've long been afraid of going to California for this reason. Do I have to wear a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and a jungle hat with an "I (heart) Iowa" pin on it if I go?

They'll sniff you out. Some locals try to be helpful and point you to the nearest Nordstroms, while others race away in their ferraris, like Nick Cage would.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well now, where was I?

Oh, right:

11246587_10152760528592455_9649680113105

This is where I am with the second Academy E and the N. I have some slight fussing to do with the chin intake after my frustrating episodes with the E's, but nothing too major.

A bit of an explanation:

Life.

With the warm weather I have been really gunning to get the exterior of our house all tickety-boo for the arrival of our first born mid summer. This means all the noisey work such as tamping, mixing, sawing, drilling, hammering - you name it - has to be done sooner than then. I paused my basement reno in order to tackle these projects, and the requisite actual paying work that helps to keep the reno's going. I've been short on time but this fire in my belly has been stoked and I need to use it before it burns out!

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 6

With the warm weather I have been really gunning to get the exterior of our house all tickety-boo for the arrival of our first born mid summer. This means all the noisey work such as tamping, mixing, sawing, drilling, hammering - you name it - has to be done sooner than then. I paused my basement reno in order to tackle these projects, and the requisite actual paying work that helps to keep the reno's going.

Well, I'm definitely not showing this thread to my wife.

• Like 3

MG, I delight to have go back at the p 40's there ends are looking as hungery as ever....

Good to hear you have been keeping busy, also cheers for popping buy on my Satan's scale (Mr p's words and I am starting to agree I find their size tiresome ) spitfire.

Looking forward to keeping up with this again.

Rob

• Like 1