Mirage GB chat

Enzo the Magnificent

11 hours ago, Deon said:

Though I don't much go in for 1/48th, I have dabbled and can see the attraction. I'm sure both kits would be a joy to make. I suspect my aversion is that it's harder to hide one's mistakes on a 1/48th kit! I also looked at the 1/32 mirage IIIs but the price is astronomical    ( I last bought one for 5 quid  in the early 80's) . Imagine paying nearly 80 quid for one.. I've bought  1:1 scale cars for less!

Perhaps you could unearth both and have a real Mirage fest :)

Ah, the Scales of Justice -I could never work up any interest in 1/32 for some reason. 1/72 and 1/48* for me all the way! I guess if you're making fewer but larger kits, the cost is mitigated somewhat. But I think I'd sooner put the money to a good pair of varifocals. And I also refuse to pay more for a car than I could spend on a decent dinner!

TWO kits in one GB, eh? Well I have heard tell about such heroic deeds...of course, it will take me half the GB programme to decide what socks to wear for the box opening (YES, I really DO work that slow!), but let's see...let's see. :worry:

(*There is a sublime little 1/144 B-47 in the pile too.)

Edited by AngstROM

1 hour ago, AngstROM said:

TWO kits in one GB, eh? Well I have heard tell about such heroic deeds...of course, it will take me half the GB programme to decide what socks to wear for the box opening (YES, I really DO work that slow!), but let's see...let's see

Aaah, a man after my own heart!

Just don't let Enzo strongarm you into doing more!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

According to Hobbyeasy the AMK KFIR release date is now august :(:( looks like I will have to build something else for this Gb ..

Patrice

Patrice,

Don't be so glum old chum! It just means you'll have to choose another vision of Mirage based loveliness to model, it's not really an awful thing to have to choose.

Anyway, at your prolific build rate you'll have plenty of time to make that AMK Kfir!

As usual, I'll be lucky to finish one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

According to Hobbyeasy the AMK KFIR release date is now august :(:( looks like I will have to build something else for this Gb ..

Patrice

The Kinetic Mirage III- double seater is expected early June...maybe a good alternative? It is 1/48 though........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyingdutchman said:

The Kinetic Mirage III- double seater is expected early June...maybe a good alternative? It is 1/48 though........

It would be lovely to have this beaut represented in this GB; unfortunately I can't see my way to doing it. Just hoping someone can...LE HINT GRAND! :whistle:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

It would be lovely to have this beaut represented in this GB; unfortunately I can't see my way to doing it. Just hoping someone can...LE HINT GRAND! :whistle:

I will be participating with Italeri's 1/32 Mirage IIIE/R.... But I will buy the IIID/DS kit as soon as it is released.

Evert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

I will be participating with Italeri's 1/32 Mirage IIIE/R....

Good, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in the GB

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to participate with an Italeri Mirage 2000C (in a Tamiya boxing). I'd like to know if the Pavla 72127 resin cockpit and vacform canopy set, designed for the Heller kit, would fit the Italeri kit. Did anyone already tried this mix?

Cheers

Jaime

17 hours ago, jrlx said:

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to participate with an Italeri Mirage 2000C (in a Tamiya boxing). I'd like to know if the Pavla 72127 resin cockpit and vacform canopy set, designed for the Heller kit, would fit the Italeri kit. Did anyone already tried this mix?

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime,

Good to see the Mirage 2000 being represented.

I didn't know Pavla did a resin cockpit for the type, the only reason I could see for you not being able to fettle and fit what's designed for the Heller kit into the Italeri kit is if there's a great difference in length between the two cockpits (something I've never thought of looking at).  With a bit of hacking and bashing, filing and fitting there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Any thoughts on markings yet?

Wez

• Like 1

Hi Wez,

Thanks for your reply. I'll get one of those cockpit sets and see what happens. I intend to build a French Air Force bird, in blue and grey tones. The instructions are in Japanese, so I haven't the faintest regarding squadrons, etc.

I must warn you, though, that I'm being overly optimistic regarding my participation in the GB: taking my GB participation history into account and the number of stalled builds currently in the shelf, I can't promise I'll finish my entry (or even start it, for that matter...)

Cheers

Jaime

5 minutes ago, jrlx said:

I must warn you, though, that I'm being overly optimistic regarding my participation in the GB: taking my GB participation history into account and the number of stalled builds currently in the shelf, I can't promise I'll finish my entry (or even start it, for that matter...)

Naaah!  You'll be alright, I'm sure of it.

French Mirage 2000, lovely!!

• Like 1

Hello all,

I would gladly and definitely go in that one. Most surely with

a Mirage IIIC (HobbyBoss) in 3/10 Vexin markings (Djibuti) or possibly a bashing of the HobbyBoss fuselage and Heller B two seater front ... 

and a Mirage 2000D (Kinetic/italeri), french of course, don't know yet the squadron., both 1/48.

Best,

Stef (#6)

Edited by Stéphane
  • Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 3:49 PM, jrlx said:

Dear colleagues,

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime,

Huh, just so you're informed, the Italeri 1:72 Mirage 2000 wing is completely wrong in shape, being close to the one of the Mirage III. Better try to get the Heller offering, if you can find one. 

I'm not the rivet counter type, but on this kit the flaw is blatent and do greatly change the overall shape of the bird.

Best,

Stef (#6)

• Like 1

Hi Stef,

thanks for the warning. I'll build it anyway, as I have it in the stash and only cost me 10€. Are there any recent offerings for the 2000C/D/N that are accurate?

Cheers

Jaime

2 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Hello Jaime,

Huh, just so you're informed, the Italeri 1:72 Mirage 2000 wing is completely wrong in shape, being close to the one of the Mirage III. Better try to get the Heller offering, if you can find one. 

I'm not the rivet counter type, but on this kit the flaw is blatent and do greatly change the overall shape of the bird.

Best,

Stef (#6)

The Heller 2000C is closer to the prototypes than production aircraft but it is still better than the Italeri version shape wise.

22 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi Stef,

thanks for the warning. I'll build it anyway, as I have it in the stash and only cost me 10€. Are there any recent offerings for the 2000C/D/N that are accurate?

Cheers

Jaime

The Italeri two-seater Mirage 2000's are better than the single seater, just how accurate they are I can't say as it's many years since I've looked at them.

I live in hope that after the success of their Mirage F.1's that Special Hobby will do the decent thing and give us a 1/72nd Mirage 2000 series to the same standard...   ...only after they've given us the promised SMB-2 Super Mystére first though :thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

The Heller 2000C is closer to the prototypes than production aircraft but it is still better than the Italeri version shape wise.

The Italeri two-seater Mirage 2000's are better than the single seater, just how accurate they are I can't say as it's many years since I've looked at them.

I live in hope that after the success of their Mirage F.1's that Special Hobby will do the decent thing and give us a 1/72nd Mirage 2000 series to the same standard...   ...only after they've given us the promised SMB-2 Super Mystére first though :thumbsup:

It's nice to know the Italeri 2000 two-seater is better, as I've got one as well. I also live in the hope Special Hobby issues a 2000 series. I still have to buy a few F1 kits, though.

Cheers

Jaime

15 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Does anyone have a good acrylic paint match for the green and grey used on the uppersurfaces of French Mirages? 

15 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Does anyone have a good acrylic paint match for the green and grey used on the uppersurfaces of French Mirages? 

I found revell aqua some good approximations, 79 for the grey, can't remember which green it was though of 65,67 and 68, was one of the 3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Hello all,

I would gladly and definitely go in that one. Most surely with

a Mirage IIIC (HobbyBoss) in 3/10 Vexin markings (Djibuti) or possibly a bashing of the HobbyBoss fuselage and Heller B two seater front ... 

and a Mirage 2000D (Kinetic/italeri), french of course, don't know yet the squadron., both 1/48.

Best,

Stef (#6)

Stef,

This got lost in the noise! Any of your choices sound great but particularly converting the Hobby Boss C to a B, I've had a mind to do the same but I'm too cowardly!

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I used Tamiya acrylics - XF-54 and XF-58 for the fuselage and XF-81 for the nose cone on THIS one.

I can't decide which kit to tackle. Kittyhawk F-1B is the front runner but I really don't want to mess it up. One of those kits you keep til your skills improve, which they never do to the extent you'd like :huh:

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 1