Mirage GB chat

Enzo the Magnificent

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yes, about Mirage F1CG, the only missing point is this access panel. And it is not necessary to show AN/ALR-66's antennas, they are the same as those of BF, the difference is just the color, black instead of grey ! ;)

here, you can see the difference : Morocco used BF first and then changed its RWR by AN/ALR-66, the same chosen by HAF and you can see on the picture Mirage F1EH on the foreground already equipped with AN/ALR-66 and its black antennas and on the second Mirage F1 the grey antennas of BF not changed yet. All this before Astrac upgrade program...:P

http://claudinedelaplace.free.fr/Avions/maroc/maroc-f1/F1 MAROCO.jpg

I took a look at some photos of Greek F.1's after you mentioned the AN/ALR-66 upgrade and was pleased to see the RWR head covers were the same as used on other F.1's and thus available in the SH kit.

Good bit of gen of how to tell the BF and AN/ALR-66 versions apart.

8 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Hi Guys, does a Dagger/Nesher count for a Mirage DB as a drivative of the III? Just aquired a couple from coli (freightdogs).

Dagger/Nesher is nothing else than a Mirage 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally laid my hands on the Mirage F-1 book discussed a few posts above, and it's really nice, I hope that the same editor will look at other French aircrafts in the future. What about the same treatment for the Mirage III?

My only criticism is for the FS codes suggested in the colour schemes section, as some of them IMHO make little sense when compared to the pictures shown in the same pages. I'd probably research any colour scheme further if building a model of an F-1

OK folks, the GB starts in three weeks from this coming Saturday (24th June), it really is time to give some serious thought to subjects, decals and references!

I can't wait! 

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Well, I won't be able to join before the beginning of august, at best.

By the way, the calendar's link is broken, can't see the finish date.

Any idea?

Does this help Antoine?

Dimanche, le vingt-neuf Octobre

2017%20GB%20Calendar1.jpg

47 minutes ago, Wez said:

Does this help Antoine?

Dimanche, le vingt-neuf Octobre

2017%20GB%20Calendar1.jpg

There it was, gone!! :huh:

28 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Yes, it does help, thanks.

Still I can't see the picture...

A Brexit consequence?

:penguin:

Now now, you don't want to get this thread locked?:nono:

It was there in glorious technicolour - honest!

7 hours ago, Antoine said:

I trust you, must be coming from my setup, or my connection.

Don't know about that, I doubt it because I'm seeing the same problem.

Anyway, back to the GB, we'll be glad to see you whenever you choose to join us, the beginning of August until the end of the GB will hopefully give you plenty of time.

Any thoughts on subject yet?

16 hours ago, Wez said:

OK folks, the GB starts in three weeks from this coming Saturday (24th June), it really is time to give some serious thought to subjects, decals and references!

I can't wait! 

My candidates at the moment are an F-1AZ in Gabon markings, from the old Esci kit with a resin conversion, and the recent HPM kit, with Australian decals from the older short run kits from the same company. All in 1/72 of course.

Well, I'm definitely in with a Special Hobby Mirage F.1, current front-runner is an F.1CR in the "les Bleus" scheme prior to the type's retirement in AdA service as seen here - GORGEOUS!! :heart:

Beyond that I don't know as I'm prone to over-committing and if I float something as a possibility Enzo will hold me to it (he's a git like that so be warned)!

Edited by Wez

Hi, wonder if there's room for one more? I have a poor record of completion (of anything) since I started a course five years ago and I can't remember having finished a kit in the last 3 years. So this would be my reintroduction to modelling ( now my course has finished) and I do love those French designs. If there is space, I'm  either going to go with a IIIC or a Kfir. Since I have half a dozen IIICs I probably ought to get one of them done. Perhaps I should start with the old Airfix '10LF' which will need complete sanding but I will try using panel shading rather than over-size (and cack-handed) rescribing.

Rgds to all,

• Like 1

Deon,

1.  You're not the only one with a poor completion record :blush: which is why I try not to let Enzo badger me into over extending myself with multiple builds.  As for cack-handed, I'm a master at that!

2.  A IIIC or Kfir and anything remotely connected with a Mirage in between those two extremes is entirely within the scope of the GB.

3.  Welcome to the GB, we start in less than 3 weeks on Saturday 24th June.

Wez

Yeh, I thought I remembered putting my neck in the noose for this -comes around so soon! Hope I can get further than I did in the French Fancy GB; all that amounted to was a procurement exercise involving a hefty exchange of cash and e-mails with L'Arsenal USA... and I sign up for un autre build Francais -duh.

:banghead:

Well...no idea. Not the foggiest. It will definitely be in 1/48 though, most likely an EC 2/10 IIIC 'bluebird'. But don't quote me...

Edit: This 'un, in fact.

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Well...no idea. Not the foggiest. It will definitely be in 1/48 though, most likely an EC 2/10 IIIC 'bluebird'. But don't quote me...

They don't come much nicer than that either!

You know you can complete this one...

25 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Yeh, I thought I remembered putting my neck in the noose for this -comes around so soon! Hope I can get further than I did in the French Fancy GB; all that amounted to was a procurement exercise involving a hefty exchange of cash and e-mails with L'Arsenal USA... and I sign up for un autre build Francais -duh.

:banghead:

Both nice schemes.. but which kit?

31 minutes ago, Deon said:

That's the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit, got one of those on the shelf at less than 25% complete, got a nice set of Carpena decals for an EC,2/5 jet or Berna Decals for an ECTT.2/2 jet :hmmm:

Take a look in this link

Edited by Wez
Link added
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wez said:

That's the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit, got one of those on the shelf at less than 25% complete, got a nice set of Carpena decals for an EC,2/5 jet or Berna Decals for an ECTT.2/2 jet :hmmm:

Take a look in this link

Excellent; thank you, they've got a pic of a sister aircraft to my planned 10- LF 

Mirage3C_1983_10-LL_jy.jpg

• Like 1

Those Djibouti based aircraft allow plenty of scope for weathering, it would be good to see one of these in the GB.

Take a look at this thread for some more detail on these jets

Edited by Wez
Link added

Just now, Wez said:

Those Djibouti based aircraft allow plenty of scope for weathering, it would be good to see one of these in the GB.

Yes! Notice the worn call-sign on the nose and the patchy radome. lovely! the rest of it looks pretty clean, and minimal scribing - just a few panels. I just hope the Airfix  nose looks ok. Im off to check some reviews and peruse a few extras -  new wheels or probe possibly :)

3 hours ago, Wez said:

They don't come much nicer than that either!

You know you can complete this one...

Well, as long as I don't get kicked out of my 'space' again by a sofa-surfing offspring, there is an outside chance! Barely touched that poor old Heller SuEM...and really haven't had the heart to look at it since. 

3 hours ago, Deon said:

Probably that very HobbyBlob one, Sir. But I have an Eduard one lurking somewhere too, with a similar scheme for a 1977 airframe IIRC. Pretty much boils down to which one I can unearth first.

5 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Well, as long as I don't get kicked out of my 'space' again by a sofa-surfing offspring, there is an outside chance! Barely touched that poor old Heller SuEM...and really haven't had the heart to look at it since. 

Probably that very HobbyBlob one, Sir. But I have an Eduard one lurking somewhere too, with a similar scheme for a 1977 airframe IIRC. Pretty much boils down to which one I can unearth first.

Though I don't much go in for 1/48th, I have dabbled and can see the attraction. I'm sure both kits would be a joy to make. I suspect my aversion is that it's harder to hide one's mistakes on a 1/48th kit! I also looked at the 1/32 mirage IIIs but the price is astronomical    ( I last bought one for 5 quid  in the early 80's) . Imagine paying nearly 80 quid for one.. I've bought  1:1 scale cars for less!

Perhaps you could unearth both and have a real Mirage fest :)

• Like 1