Parallel build: Su-27S Flanker 1:48 Blue 56 & 57 UkrAF - Update 2015-02-14

hi again!

Was browsing trough some plans the other day. Be careful! Panel lines on the top sides of the wings are wrong, so they need to be filled and rescribed.

Hi Gregax. Many thanks for the advice. As I am still working on the lower fuselage I hadn,t notice such thing by now. I have checked my references and as far I can see it,s most a matter of removing some lines, scribbing some new panels and repositioning some others, but nothing really serious...

I have the Eduard Su-27ub at home and was considering wheel wells but as I've done zero kit surgery so far I might not in case I jigger it up.

hi logical! Well, if you are willing to use those wheel bays on your Flanker, I would really encourage you to do it, despite your lack of experience on plastic surgery. It is relatively easy if you follow the steps that I have shown here...

Will try to update my WIP this next week.

Rgds.

Juan

l! I, m here again with anew update.

I have been focused on detailing the area around the wheel bays. Using thin plasticard, thin rods of plastic and some electric wire I ended up with this:

tn_SAM_7767_zpsn4u4ccg5.jpg

A closer pic of the area. That red dot is a presure gauge that I will be detailing with some spare decal or painting it on black:

tn_SAM_7768_zpsvjfbny2q.jpg

Also, I have scratchbuilt this couple of pieces that will be attached inside the intakes, as this details are visible through the opening I that showed in the previous update. This is a kind of resemblance of the area, and I think that I have done it slightly overscaled, but will do the part:

tn_SAM_7770_zpse1efv4ng.jpg

Back to the mainwheel wells itself, once the joints were filled and sanded, i installed those little quarter oval resin parts just in front of the wells:

tn_SAM_7721_zpsf66b095c.jpg

And I was able to install some resin pipes that the Aires set provides as separate parts for further detailing of the area. you can see them in the following pics. I have painted those pipes with a non permanent marker to make them more noticeables. Here the left bay:

tn_SAM_7723_zpsf1f5a23d.jpg

And the right:

tn_SAM_7727_zps82186517.jpg

A word of caution here. Altough you can see only one pipe on this pic, it is made from two sections of resin. On the Aires set the placement for those said sections is transposed: part 14 must go where the instructions says 13 and vice versa, therwise they would be impossible to locate them on place.

Still there are a couple more of resin pipes on the set, but those must be installed on the rear end of the wheel wells and they sink into the intake trunk, so I, m leaving them for a further step, onve the trunks are attached to the fuselage.

Next step was to improve and detail the main wheel legs, as they look very poor to me as provided by Academy. On my copy of the kit, said legs are poorly molded, being almost oval shaped more than circular, and with some big seams resulting from a poor injection. Also the detail is incorrect an very soft to my like.

tn_SAM_7739_zpslqtcoqne.jpg

tn_SAM_7741_zpsrp6abmsi.jpg

So I grabbed a couple of perfectly rounded lenghts of sprue from another project, cutted them to the required lengnth and added those strips around them to simulate the details around the legs:

tn_SAM_7743_zpsnc9qvixi.jpg

As you can see, those strips are made from the backing tape of the well know by any modeler Dymo tape. i have found it to be very thin, flexible and it works fairly well with CA glue.

A further adition to the after market collection for this project was the gorgeous Brassin wheels set, as I in any way I was going to be able to replicate such level of details provided in this set:

tn_SAM_7738_zpsxqodjixd.jpg

The only part that I will be using from the original legs is that below the strut. the area between the red painted sgtripes must be solid, so I carefully filled it with CA glue.

tn_SAM_7740_zpsrv4xmgej.jpg

A new strut was added from another piece of sprue(the short green length in the following photo) And then added a couple of parts of PE that is provided in the wheel set from brassin set. Here are my new reformed legs.

tn_SAM_7744_zps9hepfogo.jpg

And finally for today a couple more of pics of the legs with some more resin and PE parts added:

tn_SAM_7747_zpsylecwvex.jpg

As you can see the inner resin hub, with the detailed brake system look very promissing. Andinstalled is the scissor link made from resin too:

tn_SAM_7765_zps2g03v4ch.jpg

I have some more work done on this legs, mainly from scratch, but failed to upload the pics to Photobucket, so you will have to wait until the next update.

Would really like to hear your opinions and suggestions.

rgds.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi again and many thanks Breaker for your comment! Well, this was my intention with those landing gear legs, to be able apply a sharpest wash and paint job....

So I continued adding details to the legs, some from scratch and some rescued from the original parts. This is one of main legs from the 1/72 Zvezda Su-27SM:

tn_SAM_7745_zpsrzovlnrz.jpg

Zvezda has provided that triangular detail on the upper end of the leg, a detail ommited by almost every producer. So I decided to try and repro it, even it will be almost unseen:

tn_SAM_7748_zpsjgmvr9og.jpg

More details added:

tn_SAM_7763_zpsxzrzbslj.jpg

tn_SAM_7764_zpsf54g5gh6.jpg

And then came the inevitable task of wiring the legs:

tn_SAM_7806_zpsnuveiqpz.jpg

tn_SAM_7805_zpszrhycluw.jpg

tn_SAM_7807_zpsnlvhyypc.jpg

tn_SAM_7808_zpsqpt7rilv.jpg

Then I detailed the front landing leg:

tn_SAM_7761_zpsmx2of2vz.jpg

tn_SAM_7809_zpsnxf0oxdn.jpg

tn_SAM_7810_zpsttiggper.jpg

This is the retraction strut of the front leg, as provided by Academy, very crude and innacurate.

tn_SAM_7771_zpsdzfltjtz.jpg

So I made my own:

tn_SAM_7813_zpsxchmtdj0.jpg

Finally to end with this update, here are the main landing bays primed. I have noted some imperfections but will deal with them once I have both upper and lower fuselage halves joined:

tn_SAM_7816_zpszrl30ptb.jpg

tn_SAM_7817_zpsc8auhp0i.jpg

That,s all for now. I am currently painting the cockpit and the wheel bays. Will try to update by the end of the week.

Comments and sugestions are welcome.

Rgds.

Juan

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi again! It has been a long time since the my last update, summer, job and that kind of things... But I have been able to move forward with the project, so here you have a little progress:

Painted the main wheel wells. Here the right one:

tn_SAM_7864_zps0aeczyjq.jpg

tn_SAM_7868_zpsbhakz5ee.jpg

And the left:

tn_SAM_7866_zpsbwlgahrq.jpg

tn_SAM_7867_zps68bz6daa.jpg

Also painted the out side of the air intakes, as these are part of the wheel bays:

tn_SAM_7870_zpsth9ltq3n.jpg

I also painted the inner parts of this trunks. If you remember they were built from scratch:

tn_SAM_7874_zpsu7tsntai.jpg

And they were fitted into place:

tn_SAM_7875_zpss67etv29.jpg

tn_SAM_7876_zpsi4sltajs.jpg

A further addition to the to the aftermarked goodies that I am using on this kit arrived by mail on this beautiful old fashion envelope:

0892b801-d594-4c5f-9791-3f763e799e39_zps

Coming within a sheet of PE details from AMUR Reaver:

tn_SAM_7831_zpsb7aqoyzo.jpg

Those part are very thin and flexible. They correct and enhance some surface details on this kit, such the grilles on the intakes:

tn_SAM_7871_zpsazfts9pf.jpg

And the area behind the gun nozzle and other little details:

tn_SAM_7872_zps8ybozqan.jpg

After I was able to install the intakes:

tn_SAM_7885_zpsaercsjxq.jpg

tn_SAM_7886_zpsvfxu4suq.jpg

That,s all for now. I will be posting more progress on the next days.

As always coments and opinions are very welcome.

Rgds.

Juan

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Good morning and happy new year everybody. Many thanks Romain and Breaker for your interest:

After all this time I am here with anew update.

This Academy kit lacks many details in some areas, especially in the area around the engines, so some of them were added from scratch:

tn_SAM_7883_zpsutliqivf.jpg

tn_SAM_7884_zps9cgp6hxp.jpg

As you can see in the following picture, the photoetched parts from AMUR correct the dimensions and shapes of the air intake grilles. Also noticeable in the pic is the need of filling the gap between the fuselage and the intake. Pharhaps some better adjustements by my side could have prevented this...

tn_SAM_7887_zpsa6h8bzgp.jpg

In the following photo you can see how academy depicts the area behind the front gear bay, where the retracting strut sits when closed, flush with the rest of the airframe.

tn_SAM_7707_zpsed3e95f8.jpg

Here must be a little hollow to harbor the said leg, so it was carved and some detail added

tn_SAM_7888_zpss7ycjlpu.jpg

Back to the engines area, this time by the lower face, some panels where filled and re-engarved with a slightly different shape and also some drain pipes were added, here is the right engine.

tn_SAM_7889_zpscmsyidni.jpg

And here the left engine, where I rebuilt the APU exhast vent:

tn_SAM_7890_zpsz9qhaqym.jpg

As I am planing to depict the horizontal tail surfaces dropped backwards, as is their natural position when on the ground I enlarged the structured that penetrates into the lower of the tailfins and engarved some details:

tn_SAM_7908_zpsjtb3gas2.jpg

Also added some plastic card on the pivoting area:

SAM_7910_zpshiiwjtvc.jpg

And that,s all for now. Stay tunned for more progress the next week.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards.

Juan

Hi friends, many thanks for your interest.

nice and slow! :)

take your time, but that really looks amazing!

exdraken, I can,t deny that I am a slow builder, as I really am, but I am even more lazy with this updates that with my building. In fact I have strated with the decaling step this weekend, so the building is far more advanced that is the post. Sorry. I will update it to its current update as soon as I found the time...

Looking good. I wonder how will you be able to paint the axle of the wheels with all those wires already glued on...

gregax, I am not sure if I understand what you mean, with "paint the axleof the wheels". That subasembly is currently airbrushed and I only need to paint the details by brush. It could seem a bit scary, but I have done it previously on my 1/72 Su-33:

SAM_6970_zps20338ad9.jpg

SAM_6966_zps597c7b65.jpg

SAM_7223_zps3d92d50c.jpg

You can see the almost finished WIP of this kit here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=267989&st=0

Best regards,

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! I,m here with a new update. With the most part of the work on the fuselage done, I started with the painting of the cockpit.

Here is the result:

tn_SAM_7877_zpssdjx2exf.jpg

And here with the side consoles:

tn_SAM_7879_zpsch9tys63.jpg

And with the instrument panel instaled:

tn_SAM_7891_zpsgawyhc4o.jpg

tn_SAM_7892_zpslhnt35ll.jpg

And this is the IP cover painted:

tn_SAM_7893_zpsjtmdypim.jpg

On the next two pics you can see the cokpit installed on place.

SAM_7912_zpscdvzdsm2.jpg

SAM_7911_zpsiliwqmib.jpg

I found that, with the cockpit installed and with the IP on what seems (to me) its natural place, the IP cover is slighlty short and doesn,t reach to sit over the front panel, leaving a gap of about 1-1,5 mm. Perhaps Gregax could confirm this... So I enlarged the IP cover by adding some plasctic strips by the front part wich where recountored to match the frame of the part. maybe the pic could be more explanatory than my poor english...

SAM_7907_zpsooekjdye.jpg

Also, I found that the Academy windscreen is sligtly small, both in high and in length. It,s totally impossible to install the HUD from the Aires set over the IP cover as it collides with the clear part... A friend of ARC forums kindly provided a new vacuformed one to correct this. Here you can see what he provided to me:

0134sf6.jpg

The white placard just under the vac canopy is intented to represent the lower canopy frame, so the portion inside the clear one must be removed and thinned to shape, as shown on the next picture:

SAM_7913_zpsz2tikruj.jpg

As you can guess by this picture I managed to close the fuselage and install the nose cone...

And that,s all by now.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Rgds

Juan

• Like 4

You are really going to town on this! Grateful for the excellent explanation of the wheelbay installation. I'll be using your tips on my next flanker (when I get around to it). Thanks.

Luckilly I had no obvious problems with IP cover. There was some tweaking to get it right, but there was no need for a surgery like You had to perform. On the other hand, HUD is indeed too high, but I cheated a bit and deepenet the grooves on the IP cover where the HUD should rest.

I like what you have done with the cockpit. Good job.

Edited by gregax

• 8 months later...

Errr... Good evening again. First of all, I must say that I am really sorry for having left this build neglected for so long. So I will try to reverse the situation now.

With the fuselage closed and all the major asembly done I added some minor details, like this little surface on the rear of the wing roots:

SAM_7914_zpsn1g9ycba.jpg

And reformed that bullet shaped antenna on the left tail fin:

SAM_7915_zps1st5fsu2.jpg

SAM_7916_zps5wco9bpg.jpg

More to follow in a few moments...

So, hi again!

Al this done, I was finally able to give the first coat of primer:

SAM_7943_zpsc1flrie5.jpg

And then I could start with the the painting procces. I applied a very thin coat of my own mix to produce the light blue:

SAM_7944_zpsxwp3qbrm.jpg

And the, using a slightly darker shade of that blue I preshaded the panel lines:

SAM_7947_zps6ob9yal6.jpg

SAM_7949_zps1gx7uxxt.jpg

SAM_7948_zpsjnssggfq.jpg

Then, I applied a slightly lighter tone of the blue on the centre of the panels:

SAM_7955_zpssp6t2rzb.jpg

SAM_7956_zpsj9tnvkhr.jpg

Followed by few layers of the original blue until it was unified enought:

SAM_7959_zpsphhzrol9.jpg

SAM_7960_zpstzqnkiea.jpg

SAM_7962_zpsgnacu3sa.jpg

SAM_7963_zpss0pwywwu.jpg

SAM_7964_zpsnysk6hs4.jpg

The effect that I achieved with this is very subtle at this moment but at a latter stage when I give a wash to the entire airframe it will be enhanced.

More to follow on few moments again...

Hi again!

Next step was to apply the gray tone in the same manner:

SAM_7967_zps7det4669.jpg

SAM_7968_zpsvtjvemdo.jpg

And then the dark blue:

SAM_7969_zpsukqf9rdv.jpg

SAM_7970_zpsixiu4xl1.jpg

and here we have the camo done:

tn_SAM_7971_zpswzxkhjlp.jpg

The I satrted painting the special livery for this particular arircraft:

tn_SAM_7973_zpskxxz6rgf.jpg

That all for now. I will try to update the post in the following days

As always suggestions and criticism are welcome.

Juan

• Like 8