1/144 Apollo 11 & R-7

Cheers Rich! :) All credit goes to the tools, not the user haha. Still, I'm having a lot of fun blagging my way through this build! The real test will come when it comes to spraying these puppies. I don't know about you, but I find masking to be a total chore

2015-02-03211845_zpse590d075.jpg

Step 9 - Painting the Saturn V tank domes

Taking a wee break from the R-7 construction to prepare the LOX/LH2 tank domes prior to assembly. My plan is to get these painted and masked prior to assembly, as I imagine it'd be a real headache trying to paint these once they're nestled in the assembled stages.

In all of the builds that I've seen (including Martin's 1/72 Dragon), the top of the tank domes have been painted a solid yellow-ish colour. I wanted to emulate something a little bit more textured and dark, closer to (but nowhere near as weathered as) this:

3072938542_dbdd1a00f0_o_zps7b609ea3.jpg

So after priming, I build up a couple of thin layers of a Humbrol 24/60 acrylic mix:

2015-02-02171443_zps33cbf38a.jpg

After that I figured I'd try my hand at my first bit of airbrush "shading", so I added a couple of drops of brown to the mix and applied some very thin shading around the bottom and streaks up the sides:

2015-02-02173737_zps46cedd1d.jpg

After hand-painting the metallic sections, I washed the whole piece with a brown oil/white spirit mix:

2015-02-03223723_zpsc35103c6.jpg

2015-02-03005214_zps5291fd02.jpg

And after a second coat, the domes are done!

2015-02-03225137_zps59d7d634.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

Interesting as I'm working on Airfix's 1/144 version at the moment. Mat Irvine also went for the chrome yellow in his build of a Saturn V for Airfix magazine. The inside walls of the boosters appear to be a metallic shade with the slightest hint of green.

The restored Saturns can be a bit misleading as they are very old now, been restored a couple of times and some may even have significant bits missing. I'd try and work of period pictures showing these rockets when they were fairly new.

I wonder is that the Saturn for Apollo 4. The Command/Service Module arrangement at the back of the shot does not look like the normal arrangement. The Service Module is white for a start.

Maybe thats the blast shield for the CM escape system?

Great looking build by the way!

I reckon the items at the back are dummy sections rather than actual flight hardware. There seems to be three sets - two made up of the Lunar Module Adaptor, the Service Module and the Command Module or, as has been intimated, the Boost Protect Cover for the Command Module. One of the items has what looks like a photo reference symbol on it - which would indicate that it is a test piece.The other is just a Lunar Module Adaptor section.

It's an interesting photo.

Edited by Eric Mc

Step 10 - Display bases

I figured now would be a good time to sort out the display bases; as the choice of base may affect the kind of Soyuz/Vostok/Luna configuration I build. After a bit of Googling, I placed an order with Allwoods direct, who are fantastic - within 24 hours, they'd engraved and dispatched my order, arriving the day after. The quality is really terrific (this photo does in no way do them justice!):

2015-02-06121248_zps82553011.jpg

As a side note, there is an error on the date range of the Soyuz engraving. I chose the dates 1961-1991, which cover the full range of manned Soviet Vostok / Soyuz launches, however I forgot to include the Luna, which first launched in 1959. It's also arguable that the date should span 1959-present, since the Russians are still using Soyuz derivatives for ISS ferrying duties.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by ChrisCummins

Step 11 - Painting the Soyuz

After masking off the engines, it was time to prime the main rocket body!

2015-02-03213522_zpsbd26e145.jpg

I then used Humbrol Black Green to build up a base colour:

2015-02-04155213-2_zpsad5c9ea3.jpg

After reviewing the reference photos, I decided this was in fact too dark, and too green. I toned it down with around a 50/50 mix of Revell Medium Grey, which I think looked a lot nicer:

2015-02-06121001_zpsd6af9b27.jpg

After a bit more masking I was ready to paint the orange bands at the base of the boosters. For this, I added more red to the yellow/red mix I used for the Saturn V tank domes:

2015-02-07122136_zpsc9eb6fe7.jpg

After 3-4 coats, it was time for the big reveal!

2015-02-07145202_zps6b429183.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results. There are a few places where I didn't mask carefully enough and paint has leaked through, which I'll try to correct with some careful brush painting. This is all good practice for the Saturn V, where the cost of having to correct for bleed on the white/black borders will be much harder.

Here's a dry-run of the completed stack, how I'm intending to display it, with the Luna/Vostok/Soyuz payloads arranged in foreground:

2015-02-07150505_zpscded9d9a.jpg

Edited by ChrisCummins
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This build is an interesting read! I've been to the cape a couple times. The Saturn must have been massive. Good luck! Btw, the rolling eyes pic above is a classic for sure. Wives will never understand.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Considering this is your first "now I've grown up" build, you certainly look like you are in control and have produced some cracking work here. I have noted some of the suggestions you have brought forward here as I have a 1/96 Revell and 1/144 Airfix pair of mighty Saturn's ready to build later this year.

I watched Apollo 13 last weekend as a refresher prior to starting my kits - wow, what a stunning and amazing thing mankind managed to do...

• Like 1

Just a quick suggestion regarding decals : If you go to culttvman.com you can get a set of decals for your Saturn V which have all the markings and stencils for the rocket and CSM, and they're only about $8, plus postage, so well worth getting. Also, the little booklet that comes with them is very informative, and I used them on my original Saturn V model, so can vouch for their quality.

I also used them on my recent Dragon 1/72 version, which is somewhat larger ( To say the least ! ) than the Airfix kit ! HTH. :cheers:

Just a quick suggestion regarding decals : If you go to culttvman.com you can get a set of decals for your Saturn V which have all the markings and stencils for the rocket and CSM, and they're only about $8, plus postage, so well worth getting. Also, the little booklet that comes with them is very informative, and I used them on my original Saturn V model, so can vouch for their quality.

I also used them on my recent Dragon 1/72 version, which is somewhat larger ( To say the least ! ) than the Airfix kit ! HTH. :cheers:

What decals do you mean, by New Ware or Space Model Systems? undecided.gif

I think the decals by Space Model Systems look better and are even cheaper. cool.gif

What decals do you mean, by New Ware or Space Model Systems? undecided.gif

I think the decals by Space Model Systems look better and are even cheaper. cool.gif

You're right, I meant the Space Model Systems decals . . . they are very comprehensive, and being produced by Microscale you know they are going to be top quality decals, so highly recommended. :cheers:

I have noted some of the suggestions you have brought forward here as I have a 1/96 Revell and 1/144 Airfix pair of mighty Saturn's ready to build later this year.

I watched Apollo 13 last weekend as a refresher prior to starting my kits - wow, what a stunning and amazing thing mankind managed to do...

Also highly recommended is the DVD box set "From the Earth to the Moon".

I'd also suggest "In the shadow of the moon" for an anecdotal account of things. A truly impressive achievement. Good luck with your builds!

I have ordered the Haynes Apollo 13 manual and the DVD of "The Mighty Saturns" too

I'd be interested to hear how you find the Haynes manual. I'd pick up a copy too if it weren't for the massive stack of dense technical literature I have to read for the day job! It'd feel like a bit of a busman's holiday :)

I already have Tom's New Ware decals for the Saturn V but thanks for the link, I hadn't stumbled on that site so will check it out :)

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris - thanks for pointing out the use of Martins Models parts which I wasn't aware existed - Ive ordered these for my airfix sat v along with some pretty smart parts from New Ware which arrived yesterday - Tom has produced a superb set of batted F1's in the NW kit

I'd also suggest "

" for an anecdotal account of things. A truly impressive achievement. Good luck with your builds!

I'd be interested to hear how you find the Haynes manual. I'd pick up a copy too if it weren't for the massive stack of dense technical literature I have to read for the day job! It'd feel like a bit of a busman's holiday :)

I already have Tom's New Ware decals for the Saturn V but thanks for the link, I hadn't stumbled on that site so will check it out :)

Hi Chris - my Haynes book has arrived - for a lunar beginner like myself, I can safely say it is brilliant but I am sure others can recommend additional reading, but for reference, the Haynes book is great to help when building a SV

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Step 12 - Completion of R-7

Hi all, it's been a while! I've been very busy with work recently which has been eating up all of my modelling time. This afternoon I decided to sit down and finally put the finishing touches on the R-7. All that was needed was to touch up a couple of bits of paint here and there and to sand down some of the engine nozzles to be flush. With that done, here is my first completed model!

DSCF4677_zpsvhch5mua.jpg

DSCF4675_zpsmdcf0b5b.jpg

DSCF4667_zpswodaouqk.jpg

There a still a few things that I can add (the wee Yuri figure and the alternate Luna / Vostok payloads), which I may complete as and when, but for now, I'll be focusing my free time on making some headway with the massive Saturn.

This was a really fun build of a nice little kit. It's not going to impress any serious modellers and the historical accuracy is pretty wobbly, but I feel like I definitely got my £15 worth :) The R-7 is a really important part of the history of rocketry, and its versatility and reliability means (by space standards) its about as close to being a run-of-the-mill workhorse as you get. I'm happy to have built my little tribute, and looking forward to being able to compare this against the Apollo beast!

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

That looks really nice. What paint did you use on the main rocket body? The shade of R7 rockets is a bit debatable as Soviet colour photo technology tended to give the rockets a green tint.

Edited by Eric Mc