Airbrush problem

DickJones

Recently I went to paint an AFV as I usually do, using my Expo AB602 compressor (and the brush that came with it) with my usual mix of Tamiya acrylics/thinner, at around 18 PSI. The paint came out of the brush watery and spitting globs of mini paint. It would then run and pool and was pretty much a mess. I spray my models in the garage, which isn't heated, however I've been painting my things out there all winter without a problem.

I decided to clean the brush - thoroughly, then try again. Same problem. Figuring that my brush was beat, I bought a new one. With a whistle-clean airbrush I attempted it again and got the same problem, spitting with a watery/running effect.

I figured I'd better let the moisture trap run by itself and after an hour only a few bubbles of water accumulated inside. To be doubly sure I wasn't having some kind of humidity problem I took the compressor inside and heated it for a few hours near a heater.

After this I tried again (in the garage), same problem. Right now I am at a loss?

What comes out of the nozzle is barely paint, almost like a filter/mist. Only when you take it point blank towards a surface does it show a little colour.

Edited by DickJones

Painting in the garage at this time of year can be quite problematic due to the moisture in the air.

I have a moisture trap on my compressor and one attached to the airbrush and that stops most of my issues, although they still need regular drainage to avoid spitting.

The Expo AB602 is a faily basic unit. The moisture trap is on the brush , so moisture can build up in the hose.

Have you tried checking the hose?

I would try emptying out any water and putting it somewhere warm for a couple of days.

Paul