SE5a Update with Pilots

Hi Folks,

This was intended to be quick build over the Christmas/New Year break (that took longer than anticipated!) as part of a longer term project I'm doing

It is a Revell SE5a with small details from the Roden kit (exhausts, Vickers and Lewis Guns etc). The build (and more explanation) is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973461-revell-172-se5a-finished/

Final4best.jpg

Final6.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Thanks for looking

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite
  • Like 22

Wow great little build, you made this old kit shine ! Looking at the details you put a lot of work into it, love the exhausts.

Great pilot and base too

Thanks for the kind comments.

Les - the weathering (such as it is) is more to cover up a few defects! However, I've tried to keep it very subtle and more about toning down the brightness of the white markings (although on the photos they still appear to bright to my eye).

Dave - the purpose of the build was to provide an aircraft for the pilot figure. It's one I've made and I'm hopeful it (with a group of others) will go off to the casters to be produced in Feb. The group is based on a photo of pilots from No.1 Squadron RAF in July 1918.

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite
  • Like 1

Thanks Chaps

There really isn't any extra detailing there - I've just stolen some of the finer mouldings from the Roden kit, stuck it together, painted it and added rigging (plus added the figure). The only thing I've got a fine brush out for was to paint the boss on the propeller and the fittings top and bottom of the wing struts. However it still took much longer to do than I anticipated!

Al

• 2 months later...

Wow that is something else,......the SE.5a is gorgeous but the figure is brilliant too!! I love his pose but I would expect nothing else from Mr. Gunthwaite Miniatures,.....I love your figures and this one is another stunner! I`ve been buying them from Halifax Modellers World for some time now!

Cheers

Tony

Suberb work Al both on the SE5a and the figure. I have the same kit off the sprues in my WIP box so bookmarking your finished pics for some inspiration, cant believe what a good result you have got on such a tiny kit!

• 3 months later...

I have just finished the pilot figures to accompany the SE5a: They are based on a photograph of No. 1 Squadron at Clairmarais South in July 1918:

1%20Sqn%20A4%20format%20illustration%20R

1%20Sqn%20photo%20illustration%20Resized

More will follow in the fullness of time.

Thanks for looking and all of the kind comments.

Al

• Like 1