More new Thunderbirds toys

I know that,honest I do! I was asking Floktor

Flektor quote

TB1 wings are too small and too low down on the fuselage. One of the reasons TB2 was able to fly was because of the curvature of the upper hull creating lift, now that's all but gone.

The new one won't, the old one could have.Or did,not sure.

I had a book about radio controlled aircraft and it had a feature on what I would describe as a TB2 type vehicle which flew even without any wings. it was powered by an induction fan and the lift was produced by the shape, so in effect, once TB2 was moving forwards at a fast enough speed it wouldn't need the lift thrusters.

If ANYTHING moves forwards fast enough, it will lift.

Look at the problems they have with fast cars these days STOPPING them from lifting, and keeping them on the ground.

I think it was Barnes-Wallace (correct me if I'm wrong) who said 'A brick will fly given the right amount of propulsion'.

The Stealth Bomber by all the laws of Physics CANNOT fly.

But it does.

With the correct computer control and guidance, TB2 could easily fly.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Yeah,yeah.........OK,Sorry, it can fly.........and take off from a standing start on a ski jump, cant imagine what size engines you'd need for that. dead weight lift engines

So given all that, Fektor is saying this new one wont fly which is why we're having this convo now.

Flektor quote

TB1 wings are too small and too low down on the fuselage. One of the reasons TB2 was able to fly was because of the curvature of the upper hull creating lift, now that's all but gone.

Now its anything is possible. Which is it? can or can't.Old or New or both.

Bricks with rockets, yes it will move but it wont achieve flight.

Thats exactly why I quoted that post by Flektor?. Then I nearly get treated to Bernoulli's principle.

Its a what if

What do you mean they can't breathe?

Back to the topic.

I hope the model kits, when they arrive, are nice BIG ones.

Roy.

And I hope they are even BIGGER!!! :lol:. I have a couple of Revell 1/144 AH-64Ds just DYING to be offloaded from a Royal Air Force Thunderbird strategic Airlifter. Given the size of the "real" TB2, this would still be a respectable size model. Sadly however I fear that like so many subjects from this genre they will be in some silly little "toy" scale

.. I don't REALLY like the look of the new TB2 but, horses for courses!! We work with what we have! Now, anyone for a brand new Fireball XL-5?? (DREAM ON!)

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

You think those TB's would have flown in real life?

You think those TB's would have flown in real life?

i read somewhere , possibly in Meddings 21st century visions book , that some aerospace engineers "borrowed " or built a model of TB2 , stuck it in a wind tunnel and discovered Meddings had designed a very efficent lifting body ..... and as for Thunderbird one...... it bears a remarkable similarity to the English Electric Lightning in planform (ive always thought Derek based it on one !)

i read somewhere , possibly in Meddings 21st century visions book , that some aerospace engineers "borrowed " or built a model of TB2 , stuck it in a wind tunnel and discovered Meddings had designed a very efficent lifting body ..... and as for Thunderbird one...... it bears a remarkable similarity to the English Electric Lightning in planform (ive always thought Derek based it on one !)

Urban myth methinks. I have the book "21st Visions" and don't recall that passage.

Gerry Anderson in his theatrical show did mention about Fireball XL5 being picked up as the basis as HOTOL design - not sure that is true either.

Marty...

• 3 weeks later...

Brains - not bad.

Parker? - He now looks like he could handle himself. Pretty good.

Lady P? - Disappointed. She looks too much like 'the girl next door' - which is probably what the producers are aiming at, but she doesn't have the sophisticated 'Lady' look she ought to have.

I half-thought they were hanging back showing us all Lady P because she was going to be something exceptional. Nope.

I still have hopes for the series though...

Give it a chance.

Roy.

Urban myth methinks. I have the book "21st Visions" and don't recall that passage.

Gerry Anderson in his theatrical show did mention about Fireball XL5 being picked up as the basis as HOTOL design - not sure that is true either.

Marty...

Alan Bond the chap behind HOTOL and its latest incarnation, Skylon has said he was inspired by the XL5.